Is this Bono concert story true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Bono is at a U2 concert in Dublin when he asks the audience for some quiet. Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands. Holding the audience in total silence, he says in to the microphone... "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies." A voice from near the front pierces the silence... "Well, fucking stop clapping then!!"

Just wondering... made me LOL!

If that's true, that's really f***ed up, yet not unbelievable. I can appreciate the humor, because Bono kinda set himself up there. But still.... that's wrong.

hehe, that IS really funny. Completely wrong and uncalled for, but still pretty damn funny.

It's one of those lines that you wish maybe you had the wit and bollocks to come up with. Totally uncalled for though...lol

Bono had it coming, but I bet he felt a bit of an idiot when trying to make a serious point.

Same applies to the 'One' campaign ad. Stop clicking your damn fingers.

jonnytakeawalk said:

How is that fucked up?!

I think it's just plain funny. Bet Bono found it funny too

U posted only part of my quote.

I acknowledged the humor in it, but joking about the topic IS messed up. I can laugh at the gall it took if somebody DID make the comment, but it's not the best time and topic 2 joke about.

The Disciple said:

U posted only part of my quote.

I acknowledged the humor in it, but joking about the topic IS messed up. I can laugh at the gall it took if somebody DID make the comment, but it's not the best time and topic 2 joke about.

I was just about to say that when I was thinking about this thread all day..

I think Bono does have a sense of humor but I think Bono would be in silence when he probaly heard that..

I doubt Bono would have found humor in it because it is a serious subject to him. Death is sadness. These are needless deaths that he is campaigning hard to have stopped.

I bet if you posted this in a U2 fan forum in Ireland/UK, the responses would be different.

It is funny, and you never know, the person that made that comment might have donated thousands to charity that yr.

Death IS sadness, however death on that scale can also be overwhelming, and the most common responses to being overwhelmed are tears or laughter. I doubt we'd be posting in this thread right now if someone cried at Bono's statement.

Bad U2 joke = Lock and ban.

This thread is now about Warren Zevon's 'Werewolves of London'.

warrenzevongeniusthebestofwarrenzevonrt6.jpg

Ahhh-oooooooooh.

partygirlvox said:
Bono had it coming, but I bet he felt a bit of an idiot when trying to make a serious point.

The only idiot was the guy with that line.

Not that I think this is a true story anyway.

i don't believe it's true
and - to be quite honest - i also don't think it's the most original joke i ever heard
funny, but i'm not exactly slapping my knees here

Well, the original post mentioned it was a Dublin concert, and U2 have always talked about how the Irish always kept them in line, ego-wise, so the story sounds plausible, even if not true.

This is like an episode of Mythbusters! :lol:

(Actually I can imagine Aussies yelling out stuff like that, we like to burst people's bubbles :D )

It's a joke folks! It's been doing the rounds for a little while and the version I saw was set at a Glasgow concert. I think it's quite funny but then I've got a warped sense of humour.
The other one I saw recently which is lamer was "how many members of U2 does it take to change a lightbulb?" answer "only one - Bono. He holds it and the universe revolves around him!"

Greenlight said:
It's a joke folks! It's been doing the rounds for a little while and the version I saw was set at a Glasgow concert. I think it's quite funny but then I've got a warped sense of humour.
The other one I saw recently which is lamer was "how many members of U2 does it take to change a lightbulb?" answer "only one - Bono. He holds it and the universe revolves around him!"

The lightbulb joke was in a British newspaper last week, pretty crappy joke anyway. True but crappy lol.

Back
Top Bottom