is this a U2 bashing forum or a fan club?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I don't know lately when i come to check the messages many many thread titles are negative, like "here is u2's problem" or "what sucks about HTDAAB" or whats u2's worst song ever? well you get the point. To me it just seems there is so much bashing! i think U2 is great and i think thier latest album is amazing. It just kina sucks to see so much negativity about the band we supposably like in here!

okey you can yell at me now!

:rant: Yelling at you :wink:

I know what you mean but i think that all those arguements can be quite interesting. Its cool to hear peoples opinions on songs and albums. I used to hate ATYCLB but some of the arguements have changed my mind on that album. So sometimes good things will come of a great arguement.

Enjoy, get involved and scream a little.. Its not that bad.

20% of it winds up being communication.
80% of it winds up being masturbation.

There is good stuff in the disagreements, but it take patience.

Yes, we all love U2 here, but we dont love 100% of everything they do. Thats kind of ridiculous to ask that...it obliterates freedom of opinion and constructive criticism. I love my country, but I fucking hate GWB. same prinicple here.

dabiggestu2fan said:
I don't know lately when i come to check the messages many many thread titles are negative, like "here is u2's problem" or "what sucks about HTDAAB" or whats u2's worst song ever? well you get the point. To me it just seems there is so much bashing! i think U2 is great and i think thier latest album is amazing. It just kina sucks to see so much negativity about the band we supposably like in here!

okey you can yell at me now!
Some of it I don't like, but some of it I can agree with.

For example, I prefer U2s 90s stuff to the last 2 albums, which is what some of these critics of the last 2 albums on this board are saying (although I like those albums too, and think HTDAAB is great).

It would be boring if we all agreed on everything and we just said "everything U2 has ever done is brilliant and thats the end of the matter".
IMO, its interesting to hear other peoples arguements for and against certain things, even if I don't agree, as long as the criticism is constructive.

I never understood the point of going to a fan forum of a band, and to do nothing but complain 24/7, in all of your posts.

It's reminiscent of seeing little children having tantrums in a store because they didn't get the exact toy they wanted.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
20% of it winds up being communication.
80% of it winds up being masturbation.

There is good stuff in the disagreements, but it take patience.

I think that's a pretty accurate ratio of all posts on all bulletin boards. :wink:

Is this a Bashing forum or fan club?

A little from Column A and a Little from Column B...

But its kinda good to have it that why, and i'm sure its like that on other message boards too.

Way too much negativity here, I really feel for people who spend hours of their day letting out negativity about thing that think they love or own. People who cant sing or play giving out final commandments on how it should be done or the way it should have been done.

It's music, it's art and I'm sure you'll find even Bono and the Edge late at night on the U2 private jet, after a few celebratory post gig drinks arguing the pros and cons of their favourite bands and albums. Hell, I bet there have been some great ones within the band about their own previous work as well. I wouldn't mind betting that Bono has had to put up with more than one drunken debate with Larry over whether Passengers is an example of stunning genius or arrogant bullshit. I see nothing wrong with us debating/arguing over whether or not U2 Album X is a pile of throw away formulatic commercial junk or an amazing direct example of perfect songwriting, or whether U2 Album Y is an exciting and bold step into the direction of what all music will eventually be in the future, or if it's just a cash in on a fad. I would suggest that the band would 100% encourage it. If every thread in here was 110% positive, I'd think that the band would have a more serious need to adjust what it is they do - it would read like a Justin Timberlake board - think about that. They are not a pop act that commands fleeting, can't do know wrong, immediate acceptence of everything they do. Their music is meant to be art and meant to mean many things and therefore form many opinions, positive and negative. Some people do go too far in the way they present opinions and react to others opinions, but they are just opinions and are all coming from the same place - passion for the music - and thats why there are sometimes passionate responses. I dare someone here to catch The Edge after a few drinks and try and engage him in a conversation about how much you think The Clash sucked and why. I'd bet you'd get a passionate music fan response.

People who cant sing or play giving out final commandments on how it should be done or the way it should have been done.

That's the point!
We're only fans, butin fact, most of us don't understand a thing about music, about playing an instrument, about composing and about marketing music and music industry.

Seriously, I'm tired to get in the forum and the only thing I see is posts like "Why HTDAAB sucks" or "Grace sucks" or "Pop, AB nd JT are the masterpieces and the rest sucks" or "October sucks" or "The alternate versions are brilliant and the rest sucks 'cause they're overproduced"... STOP IT!
This is a fan forum, this is not a bashing game...
I'm a fan of U2 by large years and I like almost everything (some things better than others) but I believe, that every little thing, or every song, or every album, or every tour has got a especific objective and function in its career. Do you think U2 would've been what they are today without October, the Rattle And Hum period, the critics or even the Passengers album? Of course not!

Learn to accept things as they really are and stop being like "children having tantrums in a store because they didn't get the exact toy they wanted"...
For God's sake...! This attitude is starting to make me sick!

In that case, you shouldn't really comment when you think it's good either, seeing as you have no experience and don't really know....

Earnie Shavers said:
In that case, you shouldn't really comment when you think it's good either, seeing as you have no experience and don't really know....

best post so far...what counts for negativity should also count for the positive posts...

Do you think U2 would've been what they are today without October, the Rattle And Hum period
You nailed it right there. It was the constructive criticism of those two albums that led to War and Achtung Baby. When push comes to shove, we all want the best for the band.

I agree with he post about people who don't play an instrument who say it should be played that way..And now I should come up with a very good sentence but it doesnt work hahaha

Well, if that sentence was directed to me, I might not have the experience as bands or artists like U2, but I know thing enough about music to say that people should not talk about they don't even know. I was guitar player as lead vocals in 2 bands, so I know what a "E3" or a "C4" is, what means a 110 speed, how to work with a distortion pedal... But that doens't make me a person to say what comes to my mind.
What I was saying was for you to be a little more cohesive and to see things as they really are.

It really feels bad when I get in the forum and see all this bashing to my favourite band's work. Why?

Earnie Shavers said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, U2 of most people would welcome constructive criticism, constructive. Hopefully Love and Logic will keep us clear... if you know what I mean.

There are plenty of positive threads on this forum. There seems to be an onslaught of seemingly negative threads in Where the Album Has No Name lately but go to Everything You Know Is Wrong and you'll find like twenty appreciation threads. Go to PLEBA and you'll surely find lots of love :D

This is a U2 discussion forum, not a U2 worshipping forum. This means discussing the bad as well as the good. It is true there are some "trolls" here that seem to only like to cause trouble and be negative, but you'll find the majority of the arguements here are fairly intelligent and go far beyond "ogm htdab sux u2 is agy1!!1q111"

Saying that we shouldn't be stating our opinion because we're "not qualified enough" is ridiculous. We are U2's fans. I don't need to know anything about music to be able to discuss it, I just need ears. For the record, I do know a thing or two about music (I play guitar, my mom and dad are very musical, I listen to a lot of bands, ect) as I'm sure many of the other people here do. However, I don't think that makes my opinion more worthwhile. We are all fans so we are all entitled to talking about our favourite band. Would you rather us just go "OMG everything U2 has done is great!!!" and leave it at that? Wouldn't be much of a discussion, would it? (though I'd basically agree. I love every U2 album, like most songs).

The bottom line is, if you feel there's too much negativity, then simply ignore it. Start a positive thread about your favourite song or album. Make a thread about how HTDAAB is U2's third masterpiece or something. Many people will agree with you. Some will disagree, but who cares? Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Listen, the person that complains about feeling 'let down' because U2 have gone so nausiatingly commercial but still tries to like HTDAAB, playing it 100 times but still not seeing and feeling within it what was in War or The Unforgettable Fire or The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby etc, harbors a great deal more love for U2 than the person that thought Joshua Tree was good, Achtung was ok, and then abandoned the band for the better part of a decade until they started making easily digestable music again(that was a hell of a run-on setence :wink: ). If you love a band, you don't just leave them the minute they start making music you're not crazy about. I'm not very crazy about HTDAAB but I will still go out and buy the next record.

namkcuR said:
Listen, the person that complains about feeling 'let down' because U2 have gone so nausiatingly commercial but still tries to like HTDAAB, playing it 100 times but still not seeing and feeling within it what was in War or The Unforgettable Fire or The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby etc, harbors a great deal more love for U2 than the person that thought Joshua Tree was good, Achtung was ok, and then abandoned the band for the better part of a decade until they started making easily digestable music again(that was a hell of a run-on setence :wink: ). If you love a band, you don't just leave them the minute they start making music you're not crazy about. I'm not very crazy about HTDAAB but I will still go out and buy the next record.

Excellently put!

I don't mind people arguing about music, in fact, I quite enjoy taking part in it from time to time. It can be fun as long as you don't take it too seriously.

The only thing that pisses me off is people who come here and say nothing but "U2 sucks." Fair enough if you don't like or even hate a certain album or two, but there have been a few people (not many) who don't seem to write anything positive about the band. I don't like those people very much.

If any changes need to be made around here, it would be that maybe we should be a little sympathetic to those who do like those songs/albums which we do not. There is no way we can say how important and personal a song/album might be to someone.

Voicing/Debating Opinions = :up:
Purposely Starting Nasty Arguements For No Reason = :down:

I'm fine with people posting negativity........it's their opinion and they should be allowed to speak it.......

plus, HTDAAB is no ATYCLB. :drool:

I think Zooropa and The Passengers are the worst albums on earth, not just the worst of U2's albums, but on earth :| But I don't go around saying how much better HTDAAB is than them... Well, I guess I just did. But I don't need to create threads that say Zooropa sucks, it would get the people who like those albums really POed.

HTDAAB rocks for me because it's the first time in my life I waited for something for almost 5 months, commin on the computer every few hours, checking these types of sites for news, anything, about the album. Then I remember hearing Vertigo after getting home from school and after I heard it I couldn't think strait and do my math homework :huh:

Anyway, I think the point of this thread is that enough people are already saying bad things about the album, even in threads where it isn't the topic. Do we really need to have thread after thread on "why it sux" when it's just someone's opinion? I don't go around making threads like "Numb is shit," or "Lemon can kiss Miracle Drug's ass" or even "Why I think Zooropa sucks" because it just gets people angry. If you guys keep it up, maybe all of us that like HTDAAB and ATYCLB should go around making threads about how much we like those albums, and we can have the same arguments presented over and over. :eyebrow:

You can all now yell at me too, for expressing my opinions on Zooropa. I guess I yelled at you all for hating HTDAAB, so go on. :wink:

*Wonders if Bono was referencing Interference*

He said check the internet, U2 fan sites, "they're brutal."

namkcuR said:

However that's just one fans' opinion. To say U2 is nauseatingly commercial, maybe to that fan they are.

In my opinion, I think U2 has never been truly commercial, large following, yes, but a commercial band would not put a song like "Grace" on an album. Their catalog of songs is not like most rock bands, they defy what it is to be a rock band, certainly for their longevity.

"Yahweh" is the last song on Atomic Bomb. What other rock band, hip hop act, pop star, would do that? Certainly not if their reason was to increase sales.

All that you can't leave behind, is ATYCLB among most of us.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb is HTDAAB among many of us.

That's not very commercial. You want quick, to the point titles, nothing that makes you think.

I draw the line at HTDAAB, I abbreviate it to "Atomic Bomb."

Granted, maybe for U2, the songs might seem easy to digest, but ask the non-U2 fans what they think of Atomic Bomb, or "All that", do they like it, or is it too unusual to what most of what is popular in music right now.

U2 fans are biased, most know their back catalog, and maybe they're not up to past standards, whatever that is to each fan, but among what is going on in music, they're not making easy listening.

I listen to the radio at work, especially to a station that plays a lot of adult contemporary, whatever you call Kelly Clarkson, Green Day, some of U2's 80's contemporaries, like Duran Duran, newer acts like John Mayer, somewhat varied, and U2.

"Sometimes you can't make it on your own", feels really out of place when it comes on. "When I look at the World", sounds out of place right now.

U2 compose what they want, how they want, and when they want, just as they always have.

If Bono wants to really be commercial, really push albums, increase sales, he should probably stop singing about God in his lyrics. When U2 do an album with none of that, nor nothing political, then it's safe and commercial, cos there's nothing really unsafe about writing love songs. A department which U2 really lacks in, but that's fine.

You sing about how lame, stupid Bush is, okay, that's daring to maybe conservative republicans, but it's not exactly going against the grain is it?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to listen to top 40 radio for a 3 hours, then play All that and Atomic Bomb. Then report back and tell me how safe and trendy those albums are alright. How commercial they are.

You must not listen to any other U2 albums, just top 40 radio for 3 hours, if a U2 song comes on, turn down the volume. :mac:

Last edited:
Aygo said:
Thrillme... You just said it all! Someone that finnaly says something accurate...

Will you marry me?!:wink: :eyebrow:

;) You'll have to ask my boyfriend, hehehe.

Btw, I am listening to "City of Blinding Lights" as I type this, wow I love this song! Especially the chorus, the bass is just :drool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom