Is there anyone here that is annoyed by

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whackjester

Acrobat
The over usage of the chime sounds on the new album? This has to be one of my only complaints. Since when did this make a song sound better? It sounds especially stupid in One Step Closer; the song almost sounds like a Christmas carol for a moment during the guitar solo. It seems like since they used the chime (or chime type of) sound in Stuck in a Moment, its use has been outta control. How many songs can you name that have a chime sound in them? Stuck..., Electrical Storm, One Step Closer, Crumbs, etc. Enough Already!!!!!!

Bothers me. I wanted to hear The Edge exploring more the guitar like he did on AB, Zooropa, Pop...

I do think that the "chiming" sound is probably a bit overused on this album...I doubt that there aren't other sounds which The Edge could dig up and make interesting. At the same time, though, I have to admit that I DO like the way it sounds. I like every song on the new album very much (with the notable exception of the sin which the band named "A Man and a Woman"), but it does sound a bit monochromatic.

I think that "One Step Closer" is a very beautiful song and I love it...but it really does sound like a poor man's Christmas carol, at times. I posted something similar in a thread a while back and a good number of people hit the roof, but it's true. While it's a great song, it sounds more like another of the band's sins--"Peace on Earth"--than anything else. A great song, I think, but I question the chestnuts-roasting-over-an-open-fire quality of the production and the overall sound of the track.

They overdid the chiming in hut dab, in my opinion. I think it's more the Lilywhite influence who was also present for I Will Follow (which has chimes). Still, I try to to let it detract from the actual music under the chimes.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Thats funny because Zooropa has very little guitar ;)

You're wrong. It has loads of guitar but The Edge made it sound like anything but a guitar. He was into some very unusual never heard b4 kind of sounds.

Theres very little guitar on Zooropa, but lots of other intruments are in there :) One of my fave U2 albums.

If chiming, you're referring to the bell-zylophone sounds.... Then I like it! It sounds beautiful. Hut dub wouldn't be Hut dub without the chiming.

Remember when Edge made that sound while they were working on Beautiful Day? Then Bono told the Edge that it sounds too quintessential U2? Well, Edge just told Bono to fuck off because they are U2 and he is the Edge.

So same reply goes to the people who complain about the chiming sounds. If you don't want any chimes, go and listen to your Nickelback albums.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Remember when Edge made that sound while they were working on Beautiful Day? Then Bono told the Edge that it sounds too quintessential U2? Well, Edge just told Bono to fuck off because they are U2 and he is the Edge.

So same reply goes to the people who complain about the chiming sounds. If you don't want any chimes, go and listen to your Nickelback albums.

Cheers,

J

Thanks kid, but i'd rather listen to my AB, Zooropa and Pop albums.

I've noticed they use the weird electronic fuzzy, I-have-no-idea-what-that-is sound a few times (see 0:22 of miracle drug). I wish they would take some of those extras out. I think the live versions of many of these songs will be great, as I'd expect them to do away with a lot of the overproduction.

I haven't noticed anything annoying. U2 has used shakers, bells and chimes before. It's never been too much.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Ah, the hyprocracy runs rampant. J, aren't you the one who is constantly critical of the band? I have one complaint, and now, apparently, I'm a Nickelback fan? :huh: :scratch:

The chimes are beautiful

How can you be a U2 fan and not appreciate the chimes? That IS u2! Some people are impossible to please.

U2_Guy said:

You're wrong. It has loads of guitar but The Edge made it sound like anything but a guitar. He was into some very unusual never heard b4 kind of sounds.

You are right, U2Guy. That's one of the fun things about listening to that album (Zooropa)....trying to pick out which band member is playing which parts and also that you always hear something new.

Hoodlem said:
The chimes are beautiful

How can you be a U2 fan and not appreciate the chimes? That IS u2! Some people are impossible to please.

Not so long ago a very wise man said: "too much of a good thing is a bad thing".

Dalton said:
Wow. U2 Guy is a tool.

No, the new Jick. Surprised that the new album has changed Jick a bit!

I didn't notice the chimes at all. I guess the rest is so powerful.

there is a lot of chimes going on here, but I find it refreshing. It's is a bundle of them, but thats the Edge. It's good to see him back.

Hoodlem said:
The chimes are beautiful

That's like saying that if I don't like everything that U2 does, that I'm not a fan. Part of being a fan, and not just a casual listener, is that you form strong opinions about things that may not even be noticable to the general listener.

I think we have some confusion here. Let's not confuse Edge's "chiming" guitar parts with actual chimes, a percussion instrument. I'm assuming the latter is what the original poster was talking about. It's the thing you hear at the beginning of I Will Follow.

I'd have to agree that the chimes are overused on the album. I'd say that it only detracts a little from the overall quality. I think Crumbs suffers the most; the chimes and the choir sounds at the end put it a little over the top.

The good news is that they will probably leave most of this stuff out when they play the songs live. They might use pre-recorded tracks in concert for some of the piano pieces, but the chimes would probably get lost in the noise anyway.

lazarus said:
I think we have some confusion here. Let's not confuse Edge's "chiming" guitar parts with actual chimes, a percussion instrument. I'm assuming the latter is what the original poster was talking about. It's the thing you hear at the beginning of I Will Follow.

I'd have to agree that the chimes are overused on the album. I'd say that it only detracts a little from the overall quality. I think Crumbs suffers the most; the chimes and the choir sounds at the end put it a little over the top.

The good news is that they will probably leave most of this stuff out when they play the songs live. They might use pre-recorded tracks in concert for some of the piano pieces, but the chimes would probably get lost in the noise anyway.

Yes, the actual percussion instrument of the chime is what I'm talking about. I love Edge's guitar style. The ding-dinging of chimes is what I can't stand.

There is a lot of trademark 80's Edge guitar in this album, and it can get a bit all the same. I think this album is not far off being similar in style to The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum, very 80's sounding. And that is what they have done, the overdubs and electronica have gone in place of the 4 guys playing a room with some strings here and there.

Back
Top Bottom