is there any chance of them playing ultreviolet again ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodysunday972

War Child
I was watching the zoo tv washington dvd and I gotta say I fogot how great a song it is!

I figured Id post this question and see what kinda replies Id get.

Do you think they,ll ever play Ultraviolet again ?

I don't know. Maybe.
I never expected The Fly to be played again, but they did. Same with Sunday Bloody Sunday (starting the ZooTV Outside Broadcast tour), Out Of Control and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.
So who knows?

C ya!

Marty

Have to agree with Vampira. It would be great, but doubt it very much. I was thinking though, with Stones playing rare and never before played songs on the 40 Licks tour, U2 could be influenced. Would be nice to get some rare U2 on the next tour. But I always care about hearing the new stuff.

Anything Is Possible. I would agree though, probebly unlikely. They didnt even play it at every Zoo show.

However, there are alot of trends with bands live lately revolving around having every live show available for purchase or download. If U2 were doing this, they may be more apt to mix up the setlist a bit as other artists are as a result. The Stones had an online vote on the Bridges tour where they would list off 50 songs and the fans would vote online on which out the 50 they should play that night. Something like that would be super cool also. In the past I would have said no way U2 would do any of this. But technology and trends have made things easier. So who knows. Next tour could be VERY interesting.

Last tour they shook it up quite a bit. More so than Zoo Tv and Popmart. If they would switch up 3-5 songs a night, I would be cool with that.

Quit living in a dreamworld filled with wishful thinking. There is no chance they will play that song again. Sorry to dash all your false hopes.

Cheers,

J

I must agree with Jick, I wish they would play several other songs but unless the song is a hit they usually play don't play it again. I remember someone asking me if they would play "trying to throw your arms around the world" for a elevation show......no shot. For example, I doubt they will play In a Little While, Kite, Wild Honey, or New York ever again. (I hope they keep playing Kite)........U2 is a band that likes playing new stuff rather than constantly living on the old....they mix it up......its one of the reasons they are great.

Hmm, jick and Swan, I dont know where you got the impression anyone said it would be played? I think just about all of us said it was unlikely. You just never know though. Before Elevation NO one would have predicted The Fly. While I dont think they will mix it up much, and I guess I have to be clearer for you, I DONT think Ultraviolet will be played either. But they will have a surprise or two is my guess and NONE of us know what that will be. I will also bet that Kite is played (will be like Gone was for Elevation, not every show). I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I don't think they'll give up Kite, but I don't see it in a regular rotation. As far as Ultraviolet, it's a top 5 U2 song for me so I'd love to see it live. But I doubt it will happen. It doesn't have the widespread recognition that songs like SBS and NYD have.

As much as I wish U2 could be like Bruce Springsteen (who pretty much plays a totally different set every night that includes all manner of totally random songs from all his albums and b-sides), I cannot fault their live show as it is. I guess if I just stayed away from website reports that give away the setlist, EVERY song would be a surprise whenever their various tours hit my town.

U2 should start reviewing thier performances though because they DO tend to pick favourite non-singles and keep them as regular live classics (Gone, Until The End Of The World, Running To A Standstill, etc). They do have a lot of other brilliant album tracks like Ultraviolet, Do You Feel Loved, Acrobat, etc and maybe they should start airing a few of those at live shows. I've seen them five times and they're brilliant every time, but it would be nice if they'd choose a few other album tracks and throw those into the mix, then each set-list would be a little more individual. Even if they did a web-based request for each show like the Rolling Stones did a few years ago

The Rolling Stones, The E Street Band and DMB are a very different kind of band. They can pull practically any song from their career out of their ass, and they have enough people onstage to play the song. However, if U2 want to make a change to the setlist, they have to consult it with all the technicians, lighting coordinators, sound personel, and see if they need any extra musicians (i.e. for a synth, or a backup keyboard). That's just how U2 and their crew work. Everything is very synronized.

Ultraviolet is a good song. Great song. But it wasn't a big hit from Achtung Baby, and they will have a new album to play at least 7 songs off of. So they have to fit in the crowd pleasers with the new songs. Thus, Ultraviolet, Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Do you feel loved, etc, will never be played live again. Unless they were to do a tour sometime without having an album to support, and they were free to play anything they wanted. But that is really not U2's style.

The_acrobat said:
Ultraviolet is a good song. Great song. But it wasn't a big hit from Achtung Baby, and they will have a new album to play at least 7 songs off of.

Once again, wishful thinking. We'll be lucky to get 5 new songs off the new album live on a regular basis.

For Zooropa, they tried Zooropa and Babyface then quickly canned it. Then they only did Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Dirty Day in the Australian legs. So the only regulars were two songs - Numb and Stay.

For POP, their regulars were only Discotheque, Mofo, Staring At The Sun, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Last Night On Earth, Gone and Please for a total of seven songs.

For ATYCLB, their early setlists didn't have Kite. Their later setlists didn't have In A Little While. New York missed a few European shows if I remember right. Wild Honey was done later and acoustically. Peace On Earth and When I Look At The World were only done in snipper form. There were only four "regulars" - Elevation, Walk On, Beautiful Day, and Stuck In A Moment.

So (2+7+4)/3 = 4.333333. So U2 averages only 4.3 songs from new albums that make it as "regulars" on their tour setlist. So for the next tour, I'd say 5 songs off the new album is wishful thinking. I'd expect 4 new songs, and 1 song from Best of 1990-2000 - then the rest will be rehash of older songs that have been setlist regulars in their previous tours (meaning less learning curve to relearn it). I mean if U2 cared about practice and rehearsal a little more, they ought to spend spend the extra time learning an extra new song from the new album then digging out and old obscure classic that is only a favorite among hardcore fans. Let's be realistic and not live in a dream world.

Cheers,

J

A thread of musing and yes, wishful thinking (nothing wrong with that either) has boiled down to a maths formula?

:lol:

cheers.

*i thought zooropa and babyface were both played in aus, syd at least.
meh. doesnt matter.

Iwould pay a full price ticket just to hear that one song sang live. Its there greatest song in my opinion, still sounds fresher than anything their conyempories are offering us today and has an energy and momentum inlike any other U2 track. Would also love to hear Heartland, Do you feel loved, Staring at the sun and who gonna ride, full band too.

jick said:

Once again, wishful thinking. We'll be lucky to get 5 new songs off the new album live on a regular basis.

For Zooropa, they tried Zooropa and Babyface then quickly canned it. Then they only did Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Dirty Day in the Australian legs. So the only regulars were two songs - Numb and Stay.

For POP, their regulars were only Discotheque, Mofo, Staring At The Sun, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Last Night On Earth, Gone and Please for a total of seven songs.

For ATYCLB, their early setlists didn't have Kite. Their later setlists didn't have In A Little While. New York missed a few European shows if I remember right. Wild Honey was done later and acoustically. Peace On Earth and When I Look At The World were only done in snipper form. There were only four "regulars" - Elevation, Walk On, Beautiful Day, and Stuck In A Moment.

So (2+7+4)/3 = 4.333333. So U2 averages only 4.3 songs from new albums that make it as "regulars" on their tour setlist. So for the next tour, I'd say 5 songs off the new album is wishful thinking. I'd expect 4 new songs, and 1 song from Best of 1990-2000 - then the rest will be rehash of older songs that have been setlist regulars in their previous tours (meaning less learning curve to relearn it). I mean if U2 cared about practice and rehearsal a little more, they ought to spend spend the extra time learning an extra new song from the new album then digging out and old obscure classic that is only a favorite among hardcore fans. Let's be realistic and not live in a dream world.

Cheers,

J

WOW, I'am shocked at this kind of a response from Jick??!! What are the odds??!!

Jick, you are obviously no professor!! LOL You are basing your song total on averages yet you omit two that were played at MOST of the shows. How is that averaging things out?? Its not, I say that because I know it has to be spelled out for you. New York was played at almost every single show. Kite was played at every single show after 4-20-01 San Jose. So, the average is around 6 songs per night from ATCLYB with a few others played occassionally. I hope you dont manage your bank account with your "fuzzy" math. LOL

Its always funny to me when someone wants to criticize and start crap up so badly they make stuff up! My other question is, WHY?? Its pathetic.

Angela Harlem said:
*i thought zooropa and babyface were both played in aus, syd at least.

Sadly they weren't. Babyface appeared five times and Zooropa three, all around the Wembley Nights shows. I'm not 100% on this, but I think Zooropa was Glasgow 8th of August 1993, Wembey 11th and 12th, and Babyface was Wembley 11th and 12th, Leeds 14th, Cardiff 18th, and Wembley 20th. That's going off sheer memory alone.

Whoah, if you can be that specific even without being 100% sure on memory alone, I think your memory is a better bet than mine! :D
I must be just associating them with the show as I listened to that album at least once a day back then.

Angela Harlem said:
Whoah, if you can be that specific even without being 100% sure on memory alone, I think your memory is a better bet than mine! :D

As if that is so difficult! :mac:

As for the songs, who knows? They did play A Sort Of Homecoming for the first time in 14 years during the Elevation tour. And Hawkmoon 269 (partially). And Running To Stand Still. And after Zoo TV I'd never thought that I Will Follow would be a regular again.

:wink:

Marty

Well, decided to make elevation-tour.com pull its weight and it turns out I was spot on. I'm a setlist nut, what else can I say? Now if only I could remember my maths for next week's exams ...

By the way, Angela Harlem, I just noticed you have 57 Mt Pleasant St listed as your location ... not a Crowded House fan as well, are we?

And for the record: that Hawkmoon 269 snippet is giving me hope that the full song will return as a regular setlist number next tour! *cough*Yeah,right!*cough*

Axver said:
And for the record: that Hawkmoon 269 snippet is giving me hope that the full song will return as a regular setlist number next tour! *cough*Yeah,right!*cough*

Someone better bring those lyric sheets with them!

:p

Marty (who was there when they played the Hawkmoon/Desire/RTSS combo :hyper: )

I don't understand it how they could possibly forget the lyrics. We, the fans, could probably recite the most obscure songs (that U2 didn't even know they made!) backwards in ancient Aramaic in our sleep, and yet they manage to forget them! Baffles me.

AND YOU WERE THERE? Ooooh, I am envious! You lucky guy! I bet it came as a shock when they played that.

Axver said:
AND YOU WERE THERE? Ooooh, I am envious! You lucky guy! I bet it came as a shock when they played that.

It was. The first verse I was like "WTF?" but then it gained on me what he was singing and I went totally :hyper:
It sounded well too (heard it again yesterday on the live recording), especially the Hawkmoon 269 part.

Marty (who was also there in Antwerp on 5 August when Bono sang 2 verses of Two Shots Of Happy... :hyper: )

I'm listening to the song right now, actually. It's such a cool medley and I'd love it if they did stuff like this more often. I never knew they did Two Shots Of Happy! Wow, I must have missed that one when scanning setlists. Oh, that would have been so awesome.

Why do I get the feeling you're a bit of a good luck charm at concerts? Heh. Anything else notable you have to tell us? Oh, and in the medley, did Bono actually have to read the lyrics or was he just singing it off memory?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom