is the u2 ipod worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
its my b-day soon, (or failing that, xmas) and ive been considering a decent mp3.

now the first thing that springs to mind is the u2 ipod, but having seen a programme about how the battery life of i pods is only about a year and how bad the UK customer service is, that sort of put me off.

also there are colour ones. im not really bothered if its coloured or not, it doesnt really make much difference to me. but is it true coloured ones are cheaper?

or should i just get a different MP3 altogether?:eyebrow:

help!!!:(

my wife just got me the u2 ipod last week. its great. theres a new slim one out in n america called the nano. you might want to check that out. i could only have the u2 one but thats me!!

Depends on what you think is "worth it." I have the U2 iPod---the old one before it was color--and wouldn't trade it for any other. It has plenty of memory (20GB), looks great, no one else has it, I don't care about color or not---and it's U2. Here's the breakdown of the new iPod line (keep in mind all are color now, except for the Shuffle).

1) Shuffle:
- 512 MB, 120 songs, $99
- 1 GB, 240 songs, $129
2) iPod Nano (white or black)
- 2 GB, 500 songs, $199
- 4 GB, 1000 songs, $249
3) iPod
- 20 GB, 5000 songs, $299
- 60 GB, 15000 songs, $399
4) U2 iPod
- 20 GB, 5000 songs, $329
5) Harry Potter iPod
- 20 GB, 5000 songs, $548 ($299 + must purchase $249 Harry Potter audiobook set)

According to the Apple site, it looks like the iPod Mini---the ones with different colors---are being phased out by the Nano. To me, there are really only two options worth considering: the Shuffle and the iPod/U2 iPod. Here's why:

If you need to save money, or if you don't want to put most of your music collection on your iPod, get the Shuffle. It's cheap & will fit both those needs.

If you're up for spending more money or want to put more or all of your collection on the iPod, get the iPod or U2 iPod. The nano--while nice and small---isn't worth it monetarily to me. See, to me, $199 or $249 is a lot of money. If I'm going to spend that much money, I may as well get what I want or the best available. Call me a sucker :wink:, but I feel that if I'm going to spend $249 on only 4 GB of memory, I may as welll get 5 times that much memory for only $50 bucks more. What's another fifty bucks when you're already spending 250? :shrug: While you're at it, if you're a U2 fan, you can spend 30 bucks more and get the coolness factor of the U2 iPod. Not too shabby. (Especially since this is a better deal than when it was $349!). You could make the argument for the 60GB iPod in a similar manner, but I don't need that much memory. Plus, 400 dollars sounds like a lot more money! :wink: All that said, I got the U2 one as a gift----if I didn't, I probably wouldn't have bought any of them!

So, those are my thoughts. You can take a look at other mp3 players, which often are a little cheaper, but not too much. But the fact that so many companies are making so many useful accessories for the iPod---and not the other brands---speaks for the iPod.

As far as I know, the iPod lasts just as well as any other brand's, if not better. And if you're definitely doing iPod, they all are fairly sturdy, though I can't say much about the Nano yet.

im just worried about the whole battery thing. :(

i wouldnt even be buying one exept i carry ALOT of cds with me, and theyre heavy.

and im pretty certain with me having to put them in my school bag every day theyre contributing to my back ache.

The battery life is pretty good. The Shuffle ideally gets 12 hours, the Nano 14, and the iPod & U2 iPod 15 (used to get 12, now they've upgraded it).

And unlike previous generations of iPods where you couldn't replace the battery, you can on the new ones (though I imagine that you'd have to to take it to an Apple Store to do it----I wouldn't want to mess with mine). Just treat it like a cell phone----don't charge it until it's down really low. It should last you well.

It depends.

If you're only looking at buying the 20GB regular iPod, then I think it's worth it - the U2 version only costs £20 more than the standard one. I would definitely pay the difference.

However, if (like me) the 20GB is inadequate in terms of memory, then it's not worth buying. After all, you can get more than double the memory for around £70 more. This is the dilemma I faced when lokoing at iPods - I've already filled up my 40GB MP3 player, but wanted the U2 iPod for material reasons.

Apple states than the 20GB would hold 5000 songs, although it could be more or fewer (depending on the quality at which they're stored).

Hey guys, can someone please explain: (I am seriously computer illiterate) Can you use Windows XP to transfer your collection to your iPod? Is it as simple as my Dell DJ, you just plug your USB in and transfer? Can you upload from the iPod?

I love my DJ, but I've wanted an iPod for some time now. I didn't get one to begin with because all the reviews are confusing! I'm thinking seriously about getting myself a U2 iPod and my stepdaughter a Nano, just want to make sure we'll be able to operate it fairly easy.

MandyMarie said:
Hey guys, can someone please explain: (I am seriously computer illiterate) Can you use Windows XP to transfer your collection to your iPod? Is it as simple as my Dell DJ, you just plug your USB in and transfer? Can you upload from the iPod?

I love my DJ, but I've wanted an iPod for some time now. I didn't get one to begin with because all the reviews are confusing! I'm thinking seriously about getting myself a U2 iPod and my stepdaughter a Nano, just want to make sure we'll be able to operate it fairly easy.

I use Windows XP with my iPod no problemo. When you download your software from the disc it comes for XP or a Mac, and you can also get software updates for the XP on the Apple website. If you have iTunes, you just plug in the USB, and it'll transfer quickly, it's the easiest thing to use the iPod with. Yes, it is possible to upload from the iPod, I do it sometimes, but would I be able to explain it here???

Utoo said:
Depends on what you think is "worth it." I have the U2 iPod---the old one before it was color--and wouldn't trade it for any other. It has plenty of memory (20GB), looks great, no one else has it, I don't care about color or not---and it's U2. Here's the breakdown of the new iPod line (keep in mind all are color now, except for the Shuffle).

1) Shuffle:
- 512 MB, 120 songs, $99
- 1 GB, 240 songs, $129
2) iPod Nano (white or black)
- 2 GB, 500 songs, $199
- 4 GB, 1000 songs, $249
3) iPod
- 20 GB, 5000 songs, $299
- 60 GB, 15000 songs, $399
4) U2 iPod
- 20 GB, 5000 songs, $329
5) Harry Potter iPod
- 20 GB, 5000 songs, $548 ($299 + must purchase $249 Harry Potter audiobook set)

Thank's for the chart, very useful.

Utoo said:
If you're up for spending more money or want to put more or all of your collection on the iPod, get the iPod or U2 iPod. The nano--while nice and small---isn't worth it monetarily to me. See, to me, $199 or $249 is a lot of money. If I'm going to spend that much money, I may as well get what I want or the best available.

I agree, but supposing that i buy the U2 iPod, and boom, i lost it. What a crap!!!:huh: So I think that would be better if I get a cheaper thing instead of the U2 iPod (but... it's the U2 iPod !!!:drool: I need to buy it!)

Azor said:

I agree, but supposing that i buy the U2 iPod, and boom, i lost it. What a crap!!!:huh: So I think that would be better if I get a cheaper thing instead of the U2 iPod (but... it's the U2 iPod !!!:drool: I need to buy it!)

And that's the other thing! :wink: But I think that goes with most mp3 players that have that much memory---they all cost a ton of money. Insane.

MooMoo!---Your best resource for questions about battery life, song capacity and memory options would be www.ipod.com. We can give you opinions, but the best research could be done by looking at the manufacturer's site for some of the questions you've got.

crap...i left this thread open for like half an hour and forgot about it...in the time that passed I looked for [and found] the Harry Potter iPod through google and had a good old rant about it with a mate...!

I've considered the U2 iPod...but then eventually when I decide to import EVERY album I have so I can listen to them ANYWHERE if I suddenly feel the need then I can, rather than thinking "damn I'll have to swap it for this album when I get home" :(

gareth brown said:

I've considered the U2 iPod...but then eventually when I decide to import EVERY album I have so I can listen to them ANYWHERE if I suddenly feel the need then I can, rather than thinking "damn I'll have to swap it for this album when I get home" :(

I had worried about the same thing, but then I had a good think about what I actually listen to. When I only put on what I really listen to, I've only filled up 4-5 gigs so far. Of course, I also only transferred my U2 stuff at high quality; I only transferred most of the other albums & artists at 128.

Utoo said:

Just treat it like a cell phone----don't charge it until it's down really low. It should last you well.

Is that what you're supposed to do? I heard it's the other way around and you shouldn't always wait to charge it til it's really low :huh: I always charge mine once it gets under half...

I love my U2 iPod. I wish I could have gotten a Photo, but to do that I would have had to wait a couple months (it's not like I knew they were gonna change the U2 one to Photo anyway!), and I can't imagine not having Bono (my iPod :D) for that long!! My only complaint, so to speak, is the space... I wish they would have made 40 or 60 GB U2 iPods, 'cause mine is just about full. But that's okay actually because it forced me to clean out the stuff that, in the end, I never really listened to.

It all depends on how much music you have. If you know you have well over 20 GB of music (I have a little over 3,000 songs on mine and it's nearly full. Most of my music is 192 kbps mp3. Apple bases their 5,000 song estimate on 128 kbps.), then go ahead and get the 60 GB iPod. If you only have a couple GB of music, get either the Shuffle or the Nano (my friend has a Nano and LOVES it). If you have, say, 8-25 GB worth, go with the U2 iPod (obviously if you have over 20 GB it won't fit all on there, but you'll soon realize you probably don't WANT every song anyway). Yea, there are other mp3 players out there worth looking into, but to me the iPod is the best. The click-wheel design makes it so easy to operate, it looks good, and it works. I wouldn't worry about the battery thing because you can get it replaced... and the battery ought to last two years at least, from what I've heard.

AtomicBono said:

Is that what you're supposed to do? I heard it's the other way around and you shouldn't always wait to charge it til it's really low :huh: I always charge mine once it gets under half...

You're right. I just looked it up----since it's a Lithium ion battery, you don't need to do the full discharge....that's just for Nickel-cadmium batteries. Sorry!

Well since I got an ipod mini for my birthday from my siblings I shouldn't complain BUT I was hinting for the U2 ipod but they got cheap on me :)rant:) Anyway for my purposes its just fine. I still lots of u2 in it so I'm happy and I love this thing. Can someone really fall in love with an object???:eyebrow: :ohmy: :D

Tech said:
Can someone really fall in love with an object???:eyebrow: :ohmy: :D

yeah...think about it. Your entire music collection on one beautifully sculpted, easy-to-access device. For music fanatics like me, might as well be my soul in that iPod.

For example, i bought a new computer, and i want to move all my U2 stuff putting the songs in my iPod, and then in the new computer... is there a loss of quality???

Azor said:
For example, i bought a new computer, and i want to move all my U2 stuff putting the songs in my iPod, and then in the new computer... is there a loss of quality???

No, the iPod simply serves as portable hard drive that can play songs. It's not like a tape cassette, where the songs are recorded onto a piece of tape, and if you try to export it, it will lose quality. Your file retains the same quality.

Welcome to the digital age!!

MooMoo! said:
and does the u2 ipod only come in 20GB?

Yeah. I've spoken to various Apple-connected people too, and none of them are of the opinion that it's going to be released with higher memory :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom