Is The Live Toronto Version Of 'Stay' ('Stuck' Single)The Best Ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm having a dilemma, here. I'm making my own best of U2 album (including live cuts), and I can't decide which version of 'Stay' to inlclude. I absolutely ADORE the version from Dublin '93 (Zooeuropa), but this new version is so intimate and beautifully recorded (plus, it's got the Canadian connection
wink.gif
) It is the best version I've heard so far from the Elevation tour. Arrhghh! Someone help me out here. Throw me a bone. Do something! I need to figure this out. The one from Dublin has a great guitar hook that Edge sometimes employs (think of the end of the live version of 'Love is Blindness' or the end of Radiohead's 'High and Dry' for the technique I'm thinking of). Also, it's just plainly beautiful, with the crowd carrying the ending off, and Bono changing the "Oh oh ohhh's" into 'Oh ohhh ohhhaaaa's..." If you've heard it, you know what I mean.

I'm also having diffuculty now choosing between the MTV '97 version of 'Please' and the brand new one that's on U2.log. They're both so different. I love what Bono has to say on the new one, and it just reveals the song in such a great way. The MTV version, however, is such a band performance, you know? Again, I need help on this!!

Thanks...

------------------
The Tempest

Hi Michael!
biggrin.gif

What a pleasant surprise it is to see that you have posted a thread. I don't know if I can be much help though because I haven't heard the older versions of Stay and Please, only the newer versions. If it was me, I would probably use the Elevation versions because they are what's going on now and they have done such wonderful things with the songs on this leg of the tour. Also, I love Bono's speech in the beginning of Please.

In any case, I hope that you will post the entire tracklist once you decide because I really enjoy your choices. I still listen to the Kid A/Amnesiac CD and The "Perfect" ATYCLB all the time.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

The Tempest Returns!

Personally, I would use the Stay from ZooEuropa. I think the ZooTV version of Stay is far superior to the Elevation version (not that the Elevation version isn't good). But then there's always the Canadian connection to influence you...

Oh, and for Please I think it depends on the "mood" of the album. For a more upbeat album, maybe as a energetic closer, use the Popmart version. The new one is so mellow, but the lyrics become the focal point of the song, which can be a good.

What other songs are you putting on the cd?

[This message has been edited by popkidu2 (edited 11-02-2001).]

As good as the MTV Awards "Please" and the Elevation version are, the definitive version is on the Popheart LP, from Rotterdam. That is the most emotional version of the song. Coupled with Streets, it is classic, vintage, powerful U2.

AJ

although i love both versions of stay...i would have to go with the elevation version.

there's something about the acoustic version of this song that brings out the beautiful simplicity of this song. it's such a delicate song, and this version displays the fragility...as opposed to the full band version.

as for please, the popmart version is pure perfection...

but that's just my opinion
and that's my 2 cents.

Thanks for replying everyone. I'm not sure If I like the Rotterdam version of 'Please' best, but I'll check it out again (I lent that damn CD to a friend though!).

Here's my best of album:

1) Gloria (Live, UABRSky)
2) Pride
3) October
4) Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live, UABRSky)
5) Running To Stand Still
6) Miss Sarajevo
7) Bad (Live, WAIAmerica)
8) Where The Streets Have No Name
9) I Still Haven't Found
10) Angel of Harlem
11) One
12) With or Without You (Live, R&H)
13) Stay (Live, Toronto?)
14) Please (Live, MTV?)
15) A Sort Of Homecoming (Live, WAIAmerica)
16) Walk On

This CD is just under 80 minutes long (it's full to the brim), so though I regret excluding songs such as 'Bullet' (Zooeuropa) and 'All I Want Is You', it's the best I can do. Comments, suggestions, cries of outrage?

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 11-02-2001).]

And Calluna,

I'm glad you're still enjoying your CDs! I don't remember the track order I gave you for the "perfect" ATYCLB, but glad you like it!

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
And Calluna,

I'm glad you're still enjoying your CDs! I don't remember the track order I gave you for the "perfect" ATYCLB, but glad you like it!

Thanks Michael. You're best of album sounds excellent, although I would have to do some downloading before I would have all of the tracks listed. I am sure it wil be well worth the trouble.

And for those of you who may not have seen it the first time around, here are some versions of MG's *perfect* ATYCLB:

"As for the ATYCLB track order, I've got several good ones, and I've put more than one on Interference. The cool thing about this album is that you can totally rearrange the track order in a variety of different ways, and the theme still stays constant. It's like the whole isn't dependent on the variation of the
parts. Strange. I'll start with my latest track order:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Wild Honey
4. When I Look At The World
5. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
6. Stateless
7. Stuck in a Moment
8. In a Little While
9. New York
10. Peace On Earth
11. Walk On
12. Kite
13. Summer Rain
14. Grace

(I didn't include 'Always' in this mix because it's too much like 'Beautiful Day')

If you want to include 'Always' definitely have it after 'Stateless' -- for it is breathtaking here. Try something like this:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Wild Honey
4. When I Look At The World
5. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
6. New York
7. Peace On Earth
8. Stateless
9. Always
10. Summer Rain
11. Walk On
12. Kite
13. Stuck
14. In A Little While
15. Grace

(The last two songe here go so well together, as IALW is essentially a gospel type song.)

Now, if you don't want to inlcude any of the b-sides, you might try the following (this is probably the best mix I've come up with of just the original songs):

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Wild Honey
4. Stuck In A Moment
5. In A Little While
6. New York
7. Peace On Earth
8. Walk On
9. Kite
10 When I Look At The World
11. Grace

Basically, you must remember that there are certain "pairs" that go together best. Here are some of them:

* Wild Honey / Stuck
* Stuck / In A Little While
* New York / Peace On Earth
* Walk On / Kite
* Kite / Stuck
* Stateless / Always
* In A Little While / Grace

The trick to fitting it all together is realizing you can't possibly apease all of these combinations. Something will be lost in every combination, but something will also be gained. It's kind of cool, actually. The end result is always about the same!"

Can you believe I still have that?
tongue.gif

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Oh my God, Calluna! No, I can't believe it! Talk about a blast from the past. Strange reading that post, actually. I did sound a tad bit obsessive, didn't I? hehe.

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Oh my God, Calluna! No, I can't believe it! Talk about a blast from the past. Strange reading that post, actually. I did sound a tad bit obsessive, didn't I? hehe.

No, not at all. The info was actually quite helpful to me and I am sure others will find it helpful as well.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Originally posted by turi001:
Stateless...what song is that...i don't have it on my ATYCLB...
Is that a B-side???

It's from the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack but The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Stateless fit surprisingly well with the rest of ATYCLB.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Personally, I think the 1997 MTV Please version is one of the best things U2 has ever done. Remember the context of its performance.

------------------
Looking for explanations? Well I don't even understand

Hey Michael!

Have you heard the version of Stay from Chicago 5-12-01 with Jonathan on piano? I would rate that as the best version of Stay I've heard.

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

I'd say go with Stay from Toronto.. I totally and utterly agree with voxy about how beatiful the simplicity of it is on the Elevation tour. The only problem is it might be a tad weird having Bono marbling about the secret policeman's ball at the beginning.. I agree the version with Jonathin on piano is absolutely gorgeous, but the beauty and clarity of the soundboard from Toronto is really amazing. with the added bonus that I WAS AT THAT CONCERT!!! yeeehaw!! (i was rather excited when i found out that was being released lemme tell you).

As far as Please, I think that the Rotterdam bootleg and its segue into Streets is one of the most beautiful works of music ever created, I would recommend putting Streets from popheart on after please too, but it's rather long and I'm not sure you'd have enough room on the CD. The MTV version is excellent of course, but I prefer Rotterdam. As far as the elevation version, I really love it, but a) I haven't had enough time for it to sink in to pass good judgement on it, and b) the recording has lots of loud screamers close to the taper which can be annoying.

mikal,

Thanks for the tip on the Chicago version. Where can I get it? I'd love to hear it. I've searched all over the net, but haven't found it. Thanks!

------------------
The Tempest

The best version of Please I have ever heard is from Sarajevo 97...the emotion was even higher than Rotterdam and Mexico, you can hear Bono tearing up his voice in the huge climax, and the "higher" chants last forever, he refuses to let them end anytime soon and makes for a thrilling version...

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 11-03-2001).]

Hello Michael.

Any version of Stay is truely beautiful, but if you ask me, this new version of Stay in Toronto sways in my head like no other. First off, you must have Canadian content. Canadian broadcasting laws requires you to do so.
wink.gif
And secondly, it is played in the best rink in the NHL. Go Leafs Go!!!
wink.gif

In all honesty though, there is nothing quite like hearing the crowd join in perfectly. Reminds me of "40". U2 crowds are the ultimate 5th instrument. It is why they are the best live band period.

------------------
"I know that this is not goodbye." -Kite

[This message has been edited by Roland of Gilead (edited 11-03-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom