Is the "Hands That Build America" going to be a single?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't know, according to the tracklisting available for the DVD coming out in December there is a video for it, so it could - I certainly wouldn't complain! :)

I think it will be a single from the movie soundtrack, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

The song is listed as the "theme song" of the movie. That alone would suggest that there is a strong possibility that this will be a single. Of course, not all theme songs are singles, look at Ground Beneath Her Feet. You would think that if that one couldn't cut it, then this one shouldn't either. It is a funny business, eh?

Roland of Gilead said:
The song is listed as the "theme song" of the movie. That alone would suggest that there is a strong possibility that this will be a single. Of course, not all theme songs are singles, look at Ground Beneath Her Feet. You would think that if that one couldn't cut it, then this one shouldn't either. It is a funny business, eh?
Well, The Ground Beneath Her Feet wasn't a big Hollywood production such as Gangs of New York is, so I don't think the same rules really apply. There is just too much big money involved for 'Hands' not to be a single, one would think.

I don't think they're stupid enough to release it. It won't get played on the radio. They never release songs as singles (at least in the USA). And they know it's a weak song.

Danospano said:
I don't think they're stupid enough to release it. It won't get played on the radio. They never release songs as singles (at least in the USA). And they know it's a weak song.
That's a pretty funny post. Job well done! Have you actually spoken to the band members about the song, to have arrived to such a conclusion (about them knowing the song is weak?). That's pretty funny! For one, U2 would not have put the song on the Best Of if they thought it was a weak song. Secondly, they would not have released it as the theme song for one of the sure-to-be biggest movies of the year, Gangs of New York, if it they believed it was a weak song.

And thirdly - and this is just my opinion, mind you - what exactly about the song is weak? This song has Bono's best lyrical imagery since Achtung Baby, and we haven't seen this style from him since 'Heartland'. He's actually using poetic devices again! Poetically speaking, he's at his best. As for the song, itself, the chord arrangment is vintage U2, and the piano and the acoustic guitar are amazing. The song even manages to push the emvelop, and use an operatic burst created through technology and Bono's voice. I've never heard that done before in any song, let alone a "pop" song.

As for it being played on the radio, no you won't likely hear it on top 40 rock/pop, but you will likely hear it on adult top 40. Remember the theme song to Titanic? That was played to death on radio, so I don't know why this one shouldn't be. This one is a flat out rocker in comparison.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...:)

Danospano said:

I'm also curious what everyone thinks is so weak about this song? I waited to buy the greatest hits until I heard this song, and it totally caught me off guard. I thought it was incredibly beautiful, and it gave me goosebumps. If they thought it was fit to put on their best of collection, then it must be. As if your view on U2's music is somehow more credible than U2's view on their music.

That said, I don't think it should be a single. They need to give people more time to miss them. They shouldn't release another single until next year's album release. Plus, seeing the video for "hands" on MTV might make me lose a little bit of appreciation for the song. MTV ruins all good music, and glorifies all shit muisc.

In response to your questions about "The Hands That Built America" being a "weak song":

While I like the song; it's soft and mellow tone combined with its beautifully woven imagery makes for a satisfactory listen, it's not a hit song. It will never get played on the radio, and U2 isn't stupid enough to push it upon radio stations. That's the truth. I don't predict the future, so there's a possiblity that I'm wrong, but don't count on it! :)

I base my opinion on the strategy used for U2 last four commerical singles. "Electrical Storm", "Stuck in A Moment You Can't Get Out Of", "Elevation", and "Walk On". While "Electrical Storm" and "Stuck in A Moment" made a slight impact on the Adult Top 40 radio, it wasn't released as a single in the US and therefore could be viewed as a commerical failure. I'm speaking in objective business terms, not subjective creative/artistic terms. The two former songs, "Elevation" and "Walk On" recieved critical acclaim, but didn't bode well on radio and likewise on the sales charts.

I doubt U2 will release the song as a commerical single in the USA. If we are speaking globally, the opposite may be true.

continued.....

The question is about whether or not "Hands That Built America" is a weak song for radio. Not whether it is a weak song in creative value.

By "weak", I'm speaking in a term relating to how radio will accept the song. It was said that Adult Top 40 radio would surely play the song....(cough)...Sort of like they did with "Electrical Storm", right? Wrong...."Hands That Built America" is not "Electrical Storm". It doesn't correlate with anything being heard on any popular genre of radio, and U2 knows this. How could they not? They're not immune to current fads. They know what type of music is popular, and while "Hands..." is a good song....in terms of being played on current radio it is weak. It might make a good chamber music song, or a meditative/relaxation tune, but it's not fit for radio and should be left for the silver screen.

If the question is, "Is THTBA a weak song from Top 40 radio," after some thought I agree with those who say "no." I doubt it would ever come close to being at #1, but corporations like Clear Channel would probably put it on their rotation for a few weeks, and I'll bet there'd be a niche of people who'd follow the song like a cult. But it'd die out soon enough, just like "Electrical Storm."

If instead the question is whether THTBA is a weak song in general, I have to say "yes." The only positive thing I can say about it, and I mean this sincerely and not sarcastically, is "nice try." I'm glad Bono is trying to delve into poetic imagery once again, because I think this approach has brought out his best lyrical works ("Bad," "Stay," "One Tree Hill"). The verse here, however, sounds forced in ways the aforementioned songs don't. It's something about singing "freckled hills" to refer to Ireland that sounds so lazy and cliche to me that it taints the rest of the song, and the final lines about 9/11 seem tacked on as an afterthought. Even if we table the writing for a moment, William Orbit's production is overblown and melodramtic, ruining a soft, subtle, and above all beautiful melody. Unlike a lot of posters here, I loved his mix of "Electrical Storm." He gave it an ambient quality not present in the original. However, if his strategy for ES was understatement, he took the polar opposite approach for THTBA.

I think the song would benefit from a solo acoustic version, like Stuck. Heck, maybe they'll arrange it that way for the Oscars, since we KNOW it'll get nominated. Therein lies my main objection to THTBA: it seems like a deliberate attempt to win an Oscar with tugged heart strings and slick orchestral arrangements. U2 have always been an ambitious band, but they never let their ambition get the best of their art; quite the opposite, it's driven their art to new heights. THTBA, to me at least, is the sound of U2 getting greedy, if only for a focused objective.

Last edited:
I think the music of THTBA is good, but the lyrics are of the worst I have heard of U2, ok just my opinion.

About if it would be a single, Opal Music lists a U2 single release for feb 24, 2003, without a tittle, so it posibly will be The Hands That Build America.

I also have to say I hope not. I don't think this song is very strong. The fact that it's on a soundtrack may save it.

Can't wait to hear the new material...

I agree that this song would perform weakly on the American charts. But everywhere, it'd be a hit. Strange, since the song is actually about America......hm. I definately think it'd be a bad move to release it as a single. I love the song, the lyrics may be a bit corny, but I never actually listen to lyrics of songs. I'm more of a music/melody guy. I love the way Bono sings the song, though I never listen to what the lyrics say. Just my listening habits. But I think that if people hear this song on the radio and they aren't U2 fans and they aren't prone to Bono's songwriting, then they would actually laugh at the lyrics.

I think U2 would be getting greedy if they released a single of it. I don't really think this movie will do very well, either, Gangs of New York. Releasing this song as a single would only mean failure for U2, I'm sorry to say. Just take the year off, make an album, and then come back with an awesome 1st single/album/promotion tour like last time. That's the way to go, look at the results last time. "Hands" is a great song, and they should just leave it at that.

About the single in February......I hope it's not "Hands". Maybe they'll release the new mix of "Gone"....that might do well for them.

The_acrobat said:
I agree that this song would perform weakly on the American charts. But everywhere, it'd be a hit. Strange, since the song is actually about America......

I've noticed a trend with the past few singles in Australia on the Aria Top 50 charts.
The debut in the tpp 10 on the first week, drop back to late teens/early 20's second week. Then keep going back 10-15 places each week until they're out of the Top 50.

Although that might not apply to this song. When Mofo was released as a single in Australia it peaked at 46 on the first week then dropped out completely the next.

Why examine the song's lyric as if it were some canto by Pound? Look folks, songs like this live and die by their overall sound and feel, not by nitpicky objections to the lyrical imagery (or using the word "freckled"!). With that in mind, I have to say that "Hands" is terrific, a spot-on piece of ABBA-styled Euro-pop, and a few corny lines here and there are not going to make the difference on the charts.

Verdict: I think it might do swell in Europe as a single, but it would sink in the States. (Teaming up w/Scorsese's film is not necessarily helpful, because that movie is going to be a pretty tough sell, I think.) U2 should probably strike a low profile now as they work on their ATYCLB follow-up. Releasing "Hands" as a single might be over-exposure.

I thought I heard a rumour a while ago that "Bulldozer" would be released as a single in early 2003. Could this be the single we're talking about?

Personally, I agree with the opinion of that it will not do well. It's just not single material. I'm still not very thrilled with the song, but I do like it a little bit more than I originally did the first time I heard it. If U2 are serious about releasing an album in late '03, then they are seriously risking over-exposure. 2000, 2001, and really, 2002, have been big for U2. They've been in the spotlight almost constantly. In 2002, U2 received and attended several big award ceremonies, released a single, a greatest hits, and Bono has been in the public eye constantly. 2003 should be calmer, but half a year isn't long enough for the public to want new U2 material. 'Hands' is just not going to sell -- and if it's a failure, it just takes away time before U2 loses their place in the market for good. And, even if it DOES do fairly well, it could be even riskier because it might be followed by backlash, if they release new material within the same year.

elevatedmole said:
Personally, I agree with the opinion of that it will not do well. It's just not single material. I'm still not very thrilled with the song, but I do like it a little bit more than I originally did the first time I heard it. If U2 are serious about releasing an album in late '03, then they are seriously risking over-exposure. 2000, 2001, and really, 2002, have been big for U2. They've been in the spotlight almost constantly. In 2002, U2 received and attended several big award ceremonies, released a single, a greatest hits, and Bono has been in the public eye constantly. 2003 should be calmer, but half a year isn't long enough for the public to want new U2 material. 'Hands' is just not going to sell -- and if it's a failure, it just takes away time before U2 loses their place in the market for good. And, even if it DOES do fairly well, it could be even riskier because it might be followed by backlash, if they release new material within the same year.

Good points here. Maybe we can make a petition for U2 to NOT release this song as a single. HAHAHA. Bono always talks about that light that goes off in his head when he's being overexposed. Well, it sure isn't working, because they are being overexposed. I don't know what they think "Hands" will accomplish for them as a single. They might be wanting to promote the new best of, as sales were initially low in the US. I would just let it go and concentrate on the new album. On the next tour they can play some of the songs on the best of 1990-2000, and promote it that way.

Back
Top Bottom