Is the FBI making us paranoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
For Immediate Release
October 11, 2001 Washington D.C.
FBI National Press Office

Certain information, while not specific as to target, gives the government reason to believe that there may be additional terrorist attacks within the United States and against U.S. interests overseas over the next several days. The FBI has again alerted all local law enforcement to be on the highest alert and we call on all people to immediately notify the FBI and local law enforcement of any unusual or suspicious activity.

Forgive my ignorance, but I honestly don't see the point in releasing a statement like this. I mean, why remind the population of a constant risk? Are they trying to let people know that 'they know what is going or something'?

I don't think how something like this helps the U.S. population 'go on with our normal lives', as everyone else is claiming. My family in Argentina is all freaked out by this and they want me to get out of this country ASAP.

I've read a little more on the topic, and I think they are doing this because, scarry as it is, they actually have new credible information to suggest new attacks on the US on under way.

*shudder*

Dosen't it just seem like our FBI & CIA are kind of a damn joke?? The FBI screwed up here in the 'homeland' with such disasters as Waco and Rubyridge.

The CIA has had problems with internal espionage and then of course they all but ignored info that could have prevented such horrific acts like 9/11.

These agencies basically just shit(e) and fell back in it.

They need to pull their head out of their ass, and they also need unlimited resources if to be taken seriously to prevent terrorism in the USA. A little extra prevention and awareness is not a lot to ask for in exchange for a longer life.

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 10-11-2001).]

Originally posted by U2@NYC:
Well, even if they know. Why releasing it?

well, good question u2@nyc. I'm not sure, but I will guess that informing the public and local agencies might go a long way in helping respond to an incident or even help prevent it - and that may be a tradeoff they are willing to make. Better preparedness versus controlling paranoia.

The truth is, you never get to hear about the successes of the FBI and CIA, only the failures. The reason of course should be obvious to everyone. Keep that in mind before you knock them. If they have been underfunded, which I think they have, its the fault of the reps on Capital Hill and the White House.

Originally posted by STING:
The truth is, you never get to hear about the successes of the FBI and CIA, only the failures. The reason of course should be obvious to everyone. Keep that in mind before you knock them. If they have been underfunded, which I think they have, its the fault of the reps on Capital Hill and the White House.

I agree to an extent with you STING. But should we always hear about their failures too? That is not necessarily good for them if they are trying to do their job. And I believe that in the last administration their hands were tied quite a bit, since the collective thinking seemed to be that we didn't really have a use for them anymore.

It's the low life terroist's that are making us paranoid, the lowest forms of life that haven't an ounce of human compassion. If we are to rid the world of them then we need to get them out of the U.S. as well as all the other countries. How can people have no regard for life at all? Man, I swerve to avoid hitting a squirrel in the road cause I don't want to kill the damn thing. How the fuck and why do people kill?

Originally posted by ZOOTB:
It's the low life terroist's that are making us paranoid, the lowest forms of life that haven't an ounce of human compassion. If we are to rid the world of them then we need to get them out of the U.S. as well as all the other countries. How can people have no regard for life at all? Man, I swerve to avoid hitting a squirrel in the road cause I don't want to kill the damn thing. How the fuck and why do people kill?

The last century was the worst in human history. Around 180 million people were killed by other people.

And theres more and more people populating the earth, which means this century is just gonna be worse than the last...

I believe its good that the FBI/CIA, etc are telling people of threats and whatnot, cuz what IF they know that there are threats but they dont say anything and say the Sears tower gets destroyed, or the golden gate bridge? What then? People would say, oh well you thought they were bluffing and you didnt tell anyone, you caould have saved countless lives and you didnt - then they lose faith in the people who are supposed to be protecting them. Hiroshima, the Japanese government knew the US threatened to destroy it, but they let it happen, and again before they surrendered. Can you imagine how the people felt... Do you want the american public to feel the same way? Would you rather know that there is potential you will be attacked and be able to prepare for it? Or would you rather be totally devestated by a blindsided attack? Just things to think about...

Americans have never lived like this. Its not like in London where you can't walk anywhere without seeing signs reminding you to report unattended packages and bags. So 1) Americans need to be aware of anything-- a plane or a bag in a airport that was left there and 2) terrorists are going to attack when you don't expect it. If anything, they know we're expecting and preparing so it may discourage them from doing so.

And remember, the FBI has actually released reports like these several times already since the Sept. 11 attacks.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Back
Top Bottom