Is John Mayer's "Waiting on the world to change" U2's "Stuck" only w/diff words?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
Is John Mayer's "Waiting on the world to change" U2's "Stuck" only w/diff words?

Driving in my car today I heard a new song on the radio while scanning through the stations. I stopped on a rather soulful tune that, although I'd never heard it before, sounded like I'd known it for years. It was John Mayer's new song "Waiting on the World to Change".

After listening a few minutes, I realized that I had known the tune for a few years. I liked it better when it was called "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of" by U2. I'm telling you, that song is a dead ringer for it. I found myself singing U2's "Stuck" lyrics on top of Mayer's lyrics and they fit perfectly and it seems the notes were identical. Maybe it's a tribute to them. Maybe it's a common soul riff (like a standard blues riff). Maybe it's just lazy of him.

Listen to it. What do you think? Sorry I can't link it for you here.

Mayer has outright admitted that Curtis Mayfield inspired the song - specifically 'People Get Ready'. I can't find the article now, but so much so that there was talk of legal action over it.

Stuck, Waiting on the World to Change and People Get Ready all have similiar chord progressions, however none of them are identical progressions.

I'm of the opinion that both Stuck and Waiting owe alot to Curtis Mayfield.

^Even though I think the above mentioned songs are great ones, IMO I am not particularly fond of Waiting on the world to change. I just think its kinda blah. :shrug:

miracledrug83 said:
Mayer has outright admitted that Curtis Mayfield inspired the song - specifically 'People Get Ready'. I can't find the article now, but so much so that there was talk of legal action over it.

Stuck, Waiting on the World to Change and People Get Ready all have similiar chord progressions, however none of them are identical progressions.

I'm of the opinion that both Stuck and Waiting owe alot to Curtis Mayfield.

I agree. The first time I heard the Mayer song I was like "ooooo a new cover of People Get Ready...." and then was so insanely disappointed that it was John Mayer ripping it off with crappy lyrics and his annoying self.

It's the main chords from Stuck in a Moment, with motown production values.

Motown > everything, so I guess I love this song.

You're not crazy -- the chords are very similar, but I think in style, it is supposed to be Curtis Mayfield/Marvin Gaye.

The song and John Mayer in general drive me crazy. I once sat through a John Mayer concert at MSG without being able to tell any of the songs apart from each other. John Mayer came out in a t-shirt, jeans and his guitar, like he was playing at a coffeehouse, and it was absolutely boring.

I call his genre Blah Rock -- some might call it Starter Rock, until the kids discover real bands.

silvrlvr said:
You're not crazy -- the chords are very similar, but I think in style, it is supposed to be Curtis Mayfield/Marvin Gaye.

The song and John Mayer in general drive me crazy. I once sat through a John Mayer concert at MSG without being able to tell any of the songs apart from each other. John Mayer came out in a t-shirt, jeans and his guitar, like he was playing at a coffeehouse, and it was absolutely boring.

I call his genre Blah Rock -- some might call it Starter Rock, until the kids discover real bands.

Yeah, he's garbage.

I do think it's more of a PGR ripoff than a Stuck ripoff, but I definitely see the similarities.

Yeah I have to echo the sentiment that I've grown to tolerate him. That record he did with the John Mayer Trio was excellent, and the fact that he's shaken the acoustic pussy rocker facade for an electric is great.

Liesje said:

I agree. The first time I heard the Mayer song I was like "ooooo a new cover of People Get Ready...." and then was so insanely disappointed that it was John Mayer ripping it off with crappy lyrics and his annoying self.

:up: I'm glad I wasn't the only one with this very same reaction!

BTW, if you're looking for a decent cover, Alicia Keys does a pretty good one IMHO.

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:
I heard it on the radio and thought it sounded like "Sexual healing":shrug:

orlyhanzw0.jpg

Canadiens1160 said:
It's the main chords from Stuck in a Moment, with motown production values.

Motown > everything, so I guess I love this song.

yarlylandokd0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom