Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadiens1160 said:
I have to say that U2 have the right to do whatever they like to. The hard reality is that they're a bunch of guys in their midlife crisis age, and they are going to write softer, less envelope-pushing stuff.

see, you don't know that, but if you keep telling yourself that and lower your expectations that much, you will never be able to accept and/or appreciate a future album as JT/AB quality even if they make another truly great album...you do want another truly great album right?

and..softer, safer songs don't necessarily have to come with age...it all depends on their motivation as a band. Rockstars in their late 40's can still make truly great music

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:

The hard reality is that they're a bunch of guys in their midlife crisis age, and they are going to write softer, less envelope-pushing stuff.

They will never come out with another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, but there is still a hell of a lot of potential for mid to late career brilliance. It all depends on how much the producers push the band to grab one or two things which they can rest on, and reinvent the rest.
[/QUOTE

Wow, could you any more patronising and up your own arse? :huh:

What the heck was patronizing about that? :huh: indeed.

Let's face it - the band are different people than they were back in (insert year your favorite U2 album was released here). How do I know that? Because they're human beings, and human beings change.

Maybe they'll release another masterpiece, maybe they won't. And sheesh, let's face it - something I think is a masterpiece is going to be spat on by someone else. At this point, all I can hope for personally is that they're making music THEY want to make and not doing it to please anyone else.

And if they truly want to make music they think will keep them being a big, famous band, then good for them.

This thread has gotten completely ridiculous and immature over the last few pages. Merry freaking new year.

:grumpy:

I carefully pick which bullshit never-ending arguments I choose to get involved in.

This is not one of them. :wink:

Edit: and I definitely don't want to be dragged into it by someone altering my posts using the quote function.

Last edited:
coolian2 said:

You must wear teflon to have been here since 2002 and not get dragged into the bullshit never-ending arguments.

I thought it was what Interference was all about

It is. There are so many sides that it never gets old.

1. 80s fans
2. 90s fans
3. 00s fans
4. lyrics are the key
5. die-hard fans
6. 80s+90s fans who hate the 00's
7. Pop lovers vs. Pop haters

etc. etc. etc.

I think I must be in a minority here but I'm going to state this anyway. While I truly recognized the greatness of JT and AB the albums that I find myself listening to more often than anything else in the catalogue are ATYCLB, HTDAAB and U218 in pretty much that order. I still cycle through the complete catalogue repeatedly but those albums will get more multiple plays in a row than any others because they support me emotionally and spiritually more than the others. ATYCLB and Bomb may not be quite the musical masterpieces that JT and AB are (but they are certainly better than average) but they are healing music masterpieces in my book. I come across many stories on the internet from people who have been lifted up and sustained by those records and that is a wonderful testament to the band. U2 have many great albums that are simply great for different reasons to different people and as far as I can see the absolute worst songs that U2 have done are still better than a lot of crap on the radio.

The bottom line as has been stated before is that they should make the music that they want to make and catering to die hard fans is no better or worse than catering to the mainstream market. U2's stated desire from the very beginning of the group has been to communicate with and touch the hearts of as many people as possible. That is what has always driven them. The fact of the matter is that doing that translates into widespread popularity and massive sales figures which in some people's minds means all they are interested in is the money. No matter how many times you hear people who work with them saying that money is never the first thing on their minds the simple act of actually making money damns them in many people's eyes and nothing will change that. But that's not U2's problem it is the problem of the folks who can't see beyond dollar signs. I constantly see the accusation that huge sales don't mean quality thrown up when the critcisms are flying but U2 don't just have huge sales figures, they also have critical aclaim and widespread respect for the last two albums as well. People who say the last two albums are crap apparently ignore all of that as well. I've no problem with someone who doesn't like the current work but not liking it and calling it crap are two totally different things. When I was little my mom loved The Lawence Welk Show. It's not my cup of tea and seemed at times very corny and cheesy but it was not crap. I just wish people would learn that you can dislike something without being insulting and degrading about it.

Dana

Saracene said:
I couldn't care less about Bono's lyrics in any decade, :rolleyes: Some are better than others but lyrics really don't figure anywhere in my personal U2 fandom.

Yes yes yes. I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

Peterrrrr said:
I don't think its unfair, the band can release another masterpeice just like AB, UF and Zooropa. The problem would be solve if they stop thinking that they must produce music that most people like. That was the problem with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, they didnt want to take the risk after Pop.
Maybe they have more confidence now and know that the fans don't leave them only because they choose to do something different. It seems that when U2 fans meet the band members they don't dare to ask the band to do something more deep and dark.

I absolutely agree with this. U2 need to make an album that will be revisted in the future as being a masterpiece, not necessarily liked as soon as it comes out. Lots of people didn't like Achtung Baby when it came out, especially with The Fly as their first single. I don't think they got any #1 singles out of it, but the album sold well, and now is considered in the top 2 albums for them. Led Zeppelin did albums with little single recognition, but the albums did well because the music was great consistently even if the songs are too long for radio airplay. U2 shouldn't be looking for singles but great music that will feel great when their career is over. As long as the music is rich and dense like AB and JT with new sounds that we notice in repeated listens that can be enjoyed in the future it will be GREAT. Achtung Baby is my favorite to me because the music never sounds dated. The songs are vague enough that people can put their own interpretation on them. With modern topics and politics included you can date songs (hello Playboy mansion), but if you put enough of a spin on the songs so that the music can be a part of another generation and enjoyed on it's own MUSIC QUALITY you have something that will last. Why is Red Hill Mining Town still a great sounding song? The melody is beautiful and heartbreaking. I can listen to it many times and it will still sound great. Variety is the spice of life. There needs to be layers and things to be discovered on it; just like in paintings, movies, and literature. When I listen to The Fly today I can hear things in it that I didn't notice when if first came out. I like how Larry's snare drum sounds. I like Bono's falsetto voice. I like Edge's atmospheric guitar (I noticed that right away), and Adam's bass is awesome. The album still sounds new today. I like hearing "Yeah!" in the background on EBTTRT when Edge kicks into the guitar towards the end of the song. Those human reactions and subtlety help. The album is not bland. Listen to Acrobat. What a great song that wasn't a hit! I could go on. :drool:

Atmosphere, layers, multiple meanings to different people, originality if possible. That's the key to success for art in order for it to last. It's like the difference between a good wine (ATYCLB, HTDAAB, B, O, W, UF, RH, Z, P), and a great wine with lasting structure and layers of flavour, (JT, AB). I like good wines better than bad wines and be grateful to have a good wine compared to today's "vinegar" bands put out, but I'd be over the moon if U2 gives us a 2005 Grand Cru Bourdeux. :wink: The wine can then be laid down for 20 years and mature with lots of evocative scents and flavours. The tannins will have dissapated leaving a smooth fruity flavour and long finish.

Mmmmm. I would like a nice glass of wine right now.

:drool:

Nice post, purpleoscar. Hopefully U2 is thinking along the same lines. My favorite U2 albums are the ones that are most sonically experimental. Even if UF has some weaknesses in "songwriting," it is thrilling to hear. U2 were always such a great vibe-y band, and the last two records really tried to be about the "song," for better or worse.

Canadiens1160 said:
Wow, could you any more patronising and up your own arse? :huh:
If you don't notice a trend in the majority of popular latter-day artists to write less cutting-edge material as they age, you're full of shit, frankly
emot3ah0.gif

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
If you don't notice a trend in the majority of popular latter-day artists to write less cutting-edge material as they age, you're full of shit, frankly
emot3ah0.gif

But that doesn't mean it's impossible. Just improbable. :wink:

rihannsu said:
I think I must be in a minority here but I'm going to state this anyway. While I truly recognized the greatness of JT and AB the albums that I find myself listening to more often than anything else in the catalogue are ATYCLB, HTDAAB and U218 in pretty much that order. I still cycle through the complete catalogue repeatedly but those albums will get more multiple plays in a row than any others because they support me emotionally and spiritually more than the others. ATYCLB and Bomb may not be quite the musical masterpieces that JT and AB are (but they are certainly better than average) but they are healing music masterpieces in my book. I come across many stories on the internet from people who have been lifted up and sustained by those records and that is a wonderful testament to the band. U2 have many great albums that are simply great for different reasons to different people and as far as I can see the absolute worst songs that U2 have done are still better than a lot of crap on the radio.

The bottom line as has been stated before is that they should make the music that they want to make and catering to die hard fans is no better or worse than catering to the mainstream market. U2's stated desire from the very beginning of the group has been to communicate with and touch the hearts of as many people as possible. That is what has always driven them. The fact of the matter is that doing that translates into widespread popularity and massive sales figures which in some people's minds means all they are interested in is the money. No matter how many times you hear people who work with them saying that money is never the first thing on their minds the simple act of actually making money damns them in many people's eyes and nothing will change that. But that's not U2's problem it is the problem of the folks who can't see beyond dollar signs. I constantly see the accusation that huge sales don't mean quality thrown up when the critcisms are flying but U2 don't just have huge sales figures, they also have critical aclaim and widespread respect for the last two albums as well. People who say the last two albums are crap apparently ignore all of that as well. I've no problem with someone who doesn't like the current work but not liking it and calling it crap are two totally different things. When I was little my mom loved The Lawence Welk Show. It's not my cup of tea and seemed at times very corny and cheesy but it was not crap. I just wish people would learn that you can dislike something without being insulting and degrading about it.

Dana

I agree entirely...spot on post Dana

:up: :up: :up: :up:

Canadiens1160 said:
emot3ah0.gif

Yeah, but I think U2 are well aware when they are not living up to their ideals. They've always made a point of being relevant in ways that, say, Rod Stewart or the Rolling Stones have not made a point of claiming.

But you're right, most aging acts lose their edge (so to speak). Maybe it's the cash that causes you to lose the fire in the belly.

Ok, seeing as this is what this thread has become, can I just ask one question: How come so many people rag on the "uno, dos, tres, catorce" but completely ignore the far, far more cringe worthy "Turn it up loud, captain"?

I've never, ever understood this.

Something that's muttered at the beginning of a track barely counts over something that becomes almost a catchprase.

It's not even worth talking about. If you're going to complain about that, why not bitch about Larry dropping a stick at the beginning of "The Unforgettable Fire"?

I don't want to get into what's better or not better in terms of lyrics.

but what I would like to see is a return to more layered and abstract approach to lyric writing used in Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop, although each of those albums have some lyrical clunkers in there.

For instance take Love is Blindness on the surface it's a simple twisted love song but it's also about the act of planting a bomb, and on another level about terrorist situation in Northern Ireland. Please covers similar ground in a slightly more direct manner. In the last two albums we've have Peace on Earth and Love and Peace which again cover similar topics but while with Love is Blindness and Please you could get by without thinking 'my God this is a political song' Love and Peace and Peace on Earth batter you over the head with their subject matter in a way I just find clunky and offputting.

Even Staring at the Sun (which has some poor lyrics) has a dual layer which most of the newer content tries (Crumbs from your table) but fails to reach.
i

Larry dropping the drumstick was such a sell out move. Okay, back to Vertigo...

To be honest, I don't give a fuck about spanish countdowns, yeah yeahs, boom-chas or my mamies at all. I can't believe they all come up so often in lyric discussions.

Here's my contribution for the week, and it's just about as salient as most of the discussion in this thread:

Halloween-2006-18.jpg

And the fact that this thread is still kicking is annoying as fuck.

the only reason some of you are put off by the uno dos tres thing is because it has become a catch phrase...if it wasn't catchy, it wouldn't get nearly as much focus...this is also reason for "The Unforgettable Fire" stick dropping incident in the beginning not getting nearly as much attention..i mean, you can CLEARLY hear that...

So, I hope that answers the question "Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?"

Back
Top Bottom