Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

Bono's shades said:
Yes, I enjoy being let down by my all-time favorite band sooooo much that I would pretend to be disappointed if they really did produce an album this decade that I love as much as their '80s and '90s work. :rolleyes:

Ha.. well said! :up:

Some of you people will never understand the immediate disappointment that some of us felt on the last 2 albums. It's very hard to explain in words so I will not attempt to do so. :happy:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2 album?

Zootlesque said:

Some of you people will never understand the immediate disappointment that some of us felt on the last 2 albums. It's very hard to explain in words so I will not attempt to do so.

No, no, it's only because you don't like the iPod ad and you don't understand the glory of a melody if it doesn't have a continuous loop of an air raid siren going off in the background or something.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2

Earnie Shavers said:

No, no, it's only because you don't like the iPod ad and you don't understand the glory of a melody if it doesn't have a continuous loop of an air raid siren going off in the background or something.

lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it unfair to expect another truly great U2

Earnie Shavers said:

That's actually one of the better arguments I've heard on this shit.

Earnie Shavers said:
Do you actually think that represents anyone in here?

Well, I was 2/3 kidding, but,

Not you. You're the shit. The good shit.

As for others, well, in a round about way...

I'll get banned again if I begin to comment on them.

MrBrau1 said:

The hip, trend-jumping "Pop" record of course.

Before using irony, you should have read my posting – so you'd know, that I do like POP – which is not the topic of my posting.:eyebrow:

Earnie Shavers said:

That's the greatest post i've ever read here.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
doctorwho said:
In other words, even though I loved U2's experimentation, I too wanted a bit of the 80's U2 back. And U2 delivered.
than each individual song.

Though I understand your point, I couldn't agree less. Why did we get tired of U2 in the 90ies? Simply because the optics of POPmart, the stage outfits, the light shows, Bono's gorilla walk, silly Karaoke song alongs ruled out & nearly wiped away, what has been always U2's essence: the raw power of the band, when the four of them played on stage; the emotional power of beautiful melodies and nearly poetic, lyrical words written by a man knowing that songs' lyrics are much more than throwaway words' stuff. And, no, I'm not an enemy of the album POP (I like it very much, as some of you know), but of the way it was promoted, presented and delivered on stage.
What happened next? After years of no new stuff we got ATYCLB. But this album was no way – and has never been since – en par with the work U2 created in the 80ies. Nor did it even connect to the masterpieces, the band wrote especially in the second half of the 80ies. Every single tune on ATYCLB was worse produced (flat sounding) than anything on TJT or T&H. And the songs themselves are not in the same category either, especially not from the lyrics' point of view. Not spoken about the much worse vocal performance Bono gave on the album. Live some of the tunes worked better, and I know, some of you might follow U2's marketing strategy and do praise "Beautiful Day" as a comeback rocker tune – but I don't: This tune is simply over-estimated, that is all.
What next? A more classical sounding approach on HTDAAB, with better tunes. This album at least had a warmth its predecessor lacks completely. And though many of you here disagree – this record is a great U2 album, much too under-rated, but not at all en par with the 80ies outout, too. And why should it? This decade has gone for a long time and for good? I do hope for new creative inputs & much better songwriting.
"You can't kill poetry" a moved Bono confessed after having performed "One Tree Hill", maybe U2's beste ever song, in NZ '06 – hope he does remember his talent as a real songwriter for the next album to make a difference in quality & to take a step forward ...

Who's "we" though ? Most of the forum still laps up anything 90's U2, and Pop gets defended like there's no tomorrow. Some of the posters will never give a fair chance to anything U2 releases post Pop (unless of course it's EXPERIMENTAL). :shrug:

I think very few people (even the "black sheep" that do like the last two albums and were dissapointed with Pop) ever said ATYCLB was a masterpiece (if it continued the momentum of the first half though...). On the other hand, I don't think a thread on Pop ever passed by without someone dropping the "m" word.

I don't think JT, R/H, AB or ATYCLB were perfectly produced. Songs ? Anything they make pales to the big 80's songs and One, of course (maybe it's our own fault we always hold them to that impossible standard: make another great album/song). That isn't to say the last two albums didn't have good songs. BD, Stuck, Walk on, Kite, Sometimes, COBL, OOTS - you're really going to have a hard time selling "weak songs" argument. As things stand right now, the 90's and 00's both produced a classic song (even if personally I'd swap COBL for BD) and we still have one album to go this decade. Previous decades both had a misstep (Rattle and Pop) and great stuff (JT, AB) - let's wait and see which way this next album swings (I don't consider the last two albums a disaster and neither great U2).
The lyrics have changed which is normal: I don't expect a man in his 40's to write about the same things he did in his 20's or 30's, and the guy in his 50s (60's?) will have different lyrical topics. You can find good and cringe worthy lines/lyrics in any era, although it seems that it started in 2000 for some. I will agree Bono was the weak link on the last two albums though, along with Edge - if the creative duo of the band get inspired again, things will work out again.
Vocals ? Well, compared to something like JT, of course he sounds weaker in the last 7 years (he was 27 at the time and now he's nearing 50).

U2girl said:
Who's "we" though ?

This is related to the feelings, "doctorwho" expressed in his posting and are shared in a way by myself.

Most of the forum still laps up anything 90's U2, and Pop gets defended like there's no tomorrow.

Simply because POP was by far better than ATYCLB - while I still defend HTDAAB like there's no tomorrow, even if it may not be that experimental.

I don't think JT, R/H, AB or ATYCLB were perfectly produced.

No, just as Michelangelo had real problems with the Sixtin Chapel, Picasso couldn't paint and "Like A Rolling Stone" was not THAT good - hello irony? This point of yours is a bit nonsense, isn't it?

That isn't to say the last two albums didn't have good songs.

I don't say, these tunes were not good. But they were - and will always be in the test of time - weaker than the real songs, U2 recorded in the 80ies and 90ies.

Previous decades both had a misstep (Rattle and Pop)

Nope, both records are great - in the way of songs and sounds. This of course is a matter of taste and preference. But listen to tunes like "God Part II", "Heartland", "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" or "Wake Up Dead Man" (not to mention the singles of both albums) - if you have ears to listen, you'll never talk again about a misstep regarding these records. They ARE masterpieces.

The lyrics have changed which is normal: I don't expect a man in his 40's to write about the same things he did in his 20's or 30's, and the guy in his 50s (60's?) will have different lyrical topics.

Ahem, no again. It is not the topics, but the craft & inspiration a singer & songwriter puts into the words. If you give all your heart and soul into it, if you have the big pictures, the poetic landscapes, but also the 'simple' human feelings, the pictures of normal life - you know the difference. And Bono knows, that he does spend less time on music and songwriting and more on other things. Don't judge it, but do not ignore that either. He can do better ...

So, u2girl, another time we are not together - but that's our fate, I guess. Happy New Year to y'all, by the way ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:
U2girl said:
Who's "we" though ?

This is related to the feelings, "doctorwho" expressed in his posting and are shared in a way by myself.

OK, got it.

Most of the forum still laps up anything 90's U2, and Pop gets defended like there's no tomorrow.

Simply because POP was by far better than ATYCLB - while I still defend HTDAAB like there's no tomorrow, even if it may not be that experimental.

"By far better?" Agree to disagree, then. Both Pop and ATYCLB are overrated.

I don't think JT, R/H, AB or ATYCLB were perfectly produced.

No, just as Michelangelo had real problems with the Sixtin Chapel, Picasso couldn't paint and "Like A Rolling Stone" was not THAT good - hello irony? This point of yours is a bit nonsense, isn't it?

Did you hear the JT remaster ? You really think AB, R/H, AB and ATYCLB won't benefit from that as well ?

That isn't to say the last two albums didn't have good songs.

I don't say, these tunes were not good. But they were - and will always be in the test of time - weaker than the real songs, U2 recorded in the 80ies and 90ies.

You have to consider the legendary status of the 80's songs and One though. BD is already talked about as a great song, and I'd say COBL is too. And I think all comparisons and analysis of 00's vs 90's and 80's can only be properly done once this decade is over and once we hear this next album (or two).

Previous decades both had a misstep (Rattle and Pop)

Nope, both records are great - in the way of songs and sounds. This of course is a matter of taste and preference. But listen to tunes like "God Part II", "Heartland", "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" or "Wake Up Dead Man" (not to mention the singles of both albums) - if you have ears to listen, you'll never talk again about a misstep regarding these records. They ARE masterpieces.

I did listen to them, and they aren't a masterpiece - not when you know this is the same band that did JT and AB. And not when this is the band that did One, Pride, WOWY etc.

The lyrics have changed which is normal: I don't expect a man in his 40's to write about the same things he did in his 20's or 30's, and the guy in his 50s (60's?) will have different lyrical topics.

Ahem, no again. It is not the topics, but the craft & inspiration a singer & songwriter puts into the words. If you give all your heart and soul into it, if you have the big pictures, the poetic landscapes, but also the 'simple' human feelings, the pictures of normal life - you know the difference. And Bono knows, that he does spend less time on music and songwriting and more on other things. Don't judge it, but do not ignore that either. He can do better ...

It is about the topics. It's easier to be poetic if you write about a different country and culture or human relationship as opposed to writing about family and things that go on in your own life. I did say before Bono was the weak link on the last two albums, however, I expect more from Edge too.

So, u2girl, another time we are not together - but that's our fate, I guess. Happy New Year to y'all, by the way ...

WHAT?!?!? :rolleyes:

so the songs written in 2000 and beyond are fake? or not really U2 songs? dude, what are you talking about...:huh:

Rob33 said:

WHAT?!?!? :rolleyes:

so the songs written in 2000 and beyond are fake? or not really U2 songs? dude, what are you talking about...:huh:

No, again, they were good - but not en par with the stuff of the 80ies and 90ies. That's just my opinion, folks, not a natural law:yes:

Some of the stuff from the 00's is brilliant like some of the stuff from the 80s and 90s. However, other of the stuff is poor, like some of the poor stuff from the 80s and 90s. Not everything from the 90s was gold. Not even everything from the 80s was gold. Just like not everything from now is gold. However, some of it is.

LOL what? the poor stuff from the 80s and 90s is better than most of the stuff u2 put out in 2000.
vocals,lyrics and the music in the 80s and 90s. (-pop) is miles ahead of anything 2000.
happy new years ya all.

I find it hard to say that Slow Dancing, or Party Girl, or Boy/Girl even are better songs that Beautiful Day or Love and Peace or Else.

Great musical bed though. It might sound funny*, but Love & Peace sounds awesome when it's in the background somewhere. You're not concentrating on it, you can't hear the cheese in Bono's lyrics, and suddenly it's really quite striking with it's simple rumbling and pounding somewhere away in the background. I remember one night not long after the Bomb was released, being at a friends place. He'd bought the album the day before, stuck it on his iPod, listened to it 'up close' and was not at all impressed, thought it was a pretty good waste of $25 (and this is not some music snob, his tastes are pretty commercial). Later that night at his we were sitting around, drinking outside with music blaring from inside, talking away, and Love and Peace came up on shuffle. I think about 5 or 6 of us were there, and not long into L&P the conversation drops and turns to "what the hell is this? It's awesome."

If only Bono had spent 10 minutes, instead of 5, on the lyrics. And 2 minutes, instead of .30, on the title.

*I have started my NYE drinking, it is 4pm Sydney time after all.

My biggest issue with 00's U2 is the inconsistency within the songs themselves. Most of the songs from the last 2 albums have something about them that I love but also parts that make me cringe. The problem is that these good and bad part co-exist withing the same songs! It is very frustrating listening to a song that would be great if not for...*insert complaint here*. And more often than not, the complaint is a lyrical one. What happened Bono? Like the example that Earnie Shavers just mentioned about LaPoE. Could have been great but ruined by lyrics. I could mention a dozen more.

It makes me sad.

Hoodlem said:
My biggest issue with 00's U2 is the inconsistency within the songs themselves. Most of the songs from the last 2 albums have something about them that I love but also parts that make me cringe. The problem is that these good and bad part co-exist withing the same songs! It is very frustrating listening to a song that would be great if not for...*insert complaint here*. And more often than not, the complaint is a lyrical one. What happened Bono? Like the example that Earnie Shavers just mentioned about LaPoE. Could have been great but ruined by lyrics. I could mention a dozen more.

It makes me sad.

I whole heartedly agree with this.

Miracle Drug would be great with different lyrics.

ABOY... intellectual tortoise?

Crumbs= crappy, crappy lyrics. Barely b-side material.

OOTS= would be great if not for the "Doo-deh, Doo-deh" part. Really ruins the song, and I'm embarrassed for them to have released that.

Then there are the 2 worst lyrics in the U2 cannon:
"Always", in which Bono instructs us to always wear a safety belt, as if that has anything to do with anything else in the song

"Big girls are best".... amazing he still has a career after writing that song.

The_acrobat said:

I whole heartedly agree with this.

Miracle Drug would be great with different lyrics.

ABOY... intellectual tortoise?

Crumbs= crappy, crappy lyrics. Barely b-side material.

OOTS= would be great if not for the "Doo-deh, Doo-deh" part. Really ruins the song, and I'm embarrassed for them to have released that.

Then there are the 2 worst lyrics in the U2 cannon:
"Always", in which Bono instructs us to always wear a safety belt, as if that has anything to do with anything else in the song

"Big girls are best".... amazing he still has a career after writing that song.

Boom cha. My mammy.

^ Is that all you people have to say against the 90s??? like a stuck record? lol. Those 2 phrases are nothing compared to the abominations put to record this decade!

Hoodlem said:
My biggest issue with 00's U2 is the inconsistency within the songs themselves. Most of the songs from the last 2 albums have something about them that I love but also parts that make me cringe. The problem is that these good and bad part co-exist withing the same songs! It is very frustrating listening to a song that would be great if not for...*insert complaint here*. And more often than not, the complaint is a lyrical one.

So so true!!! All of what you said! It's like... damn, if only Vertigo didn't have the yeah yeahs, the dumb middle 8 or the goofy intro, it would be awesome! If only LAPOE didn't have the lame chorus... if only ABOY didn't have the terrible deafening intro etc. etc. :(

I'm sorry, but I don't think there's anything worse than "my mammy" in their entire catalogue. Well, except maybe Elvis Ate America.

the tourist said:
I find it hard to say that Slow Dancing, or Party Girl, or Boy/Girl even are better songs that Beautiful Day or Love and Peace or Else.

It's not that hard: "Love And Peace or Else" has some nice musical ideas (rhythm, guitar sound) & more than average lyrics and a title, I still haven't found what it's looking for.
"Beautiful Day" has musical power and force, but is an example for an over-and flat produced, Bon Jovi-like direction, the band needed for their self-called "comeback". I can't stand this tune anymore, maybe a "Greatest Hit", but with its throwaway lyrics surely not worth on a real "Best Of".
Result: Yes, "Party Girl" & especially the touching inro deep reflections of "Slow Dancing" are far better songs.

ZOOTVTOURist said:

I can't stand this tune anymore, maybe a "Greatest Hit", but with its throwaway lyrics surely not worth on a real "Best Of".
Result: Yes, "Party Girl" & especially the touching inro deep reflections of "Slow Dancing" are far better songs.

You do realise that some of the best Pop songs ever written have throw away lyrics?

the tourist said:

That's because they're not.

What I'd like to know is for all the beating the 00's lyrics take, where was that when Bono came up with Some days are betters... on Zooropa or Miami or when Numb took the place of something like HMTMKMKM on Zooropa (far worse offenses than anything he wrote in the last decade because it's much worse in comparison to the rest of those albums - and he was way better on AB and Zooropa already in comparison to Pop), or the complete filler that is Is that all ? :hmm:
When stuff worthy of Shakespeare like "miami my mammy" or "boom cha!" made it no problem or well thought-out lyrics like Elvis Presley and Elvis ate America made the cut ?
Drop the double standards already.

It's true that writing about love (romantic, parental, faith etc) is cliche-hazardous and/or cheesy but hello "I kissed your lips and broke your heart" - despite the topic of that song that's pretty much THE cliche love line. Well, it's either that or "all I want is you" (I don't care what you promise me).

Last edited:
U2girl said:
That's because they're not.

Thought so, that we wouldn't agree here too. But that's taste, isn't it? :lol

What I'd like to know is for all the beating the 00's lyrics take, where was that when Bono came up with Some days are betters... on Zooropa or Miami[/QUOTE]
Actually with "Some Days ..." you are right in my ears, but with "Numb" you are wrong. This is a fine song indeed – wish, "In Cold Blood" might appear someday.
or the complete filler that is "Is That All ?"[/QUOTE]
This is a fine rocker, a great punch of a song. Hm, taste again, I fear

writing about love (romantic, parental, faith etc) is cliche-hazardous and/or cheesy[/QUOTE]

Yes, might be, but that is not my point. My point is: The song "All I Want Is You" is better than the whole ATYCLB including its B-Sides together. "Is that all?" Yes. Bono and the band should get back to their talent & craft (this means not only inspiration, but hard work, hours and hours in the studio).
And that is, what they do: By taking the help/assistance of Eno & Lanois in a much more important role regarding the songwriting, I'm really interested, how this will work. Fine already, that U2 finally seem to have abandoned the road of producing, they did on the last two albums, especially ATYCLB ...

ludvic said:
You do realise that some of the best Pop songs ever written have throw away lyrics?

Hope, you don't talk about the lyrics to "Staring At The Sun", "Gone", "Please", "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" or "Wake Up Dead Man" - which are among the best songs, U2 have ever written, recorded and played live.
Even the little riddle about love, "Disco" is not that funny as it may seem...

Hm, really, I don't realise it: POP may be everything, but surely not an example of throwaway lyrics&songs. Every tune on this album, especially "Miami", is better than the most of ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom