Is it the website or the forums that we are saving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadelynIris

Refugee
Can't one set up a forum at
http://www.ezboard.com for practically nothing?

I participate in a couple of forums on that board that have 2000 members, easy, and they handle the traffic just fine.

Plus, we run an infopop board (software costs about $200, and can run it for about $50 a month.

These definitely seem like lower cost alternatives than raising thousands of dollars.

Joel, don't get me wrong, I think you have done an excellent job with Interference.com. And I've always supported you, but don't you think that there are clear alternatives here?

Help answer these questions too please, before we donate:

Who owns this site? Joel, or musicfans.com?

Are there any part owners, shareholders or investors in Interference.com that we need to be aware of?

Shouldn't you detail more what you intend to do with the money?

Mark

BTW, I'm doing this because of your statement:

I'm really looking for suggestions and ideas, and to see what people are and are not willing to do to help support something that has always been free for them to use.

Mark, I have an EZboard and yes they can take up to thousands of members and can be controlled without pop ups. Mine has pop ups cause it hasnt been around long enough or have enough members to support it hehe

But yes, it can be done. I once frequented another message board that was as big as feedback and it had the plug pulled, so my friend moved us all to an Ezboard and it is now just as thriving as the original one was.

Ezboard requires a fee to remove ads. I wish I knew how much it was (possibly $300?), but I'm sure it says on the Ezboard web site.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Originally posted by MadelynIris:
?

I understand if you think this info is private. I'd just like to know before 'investing'.

Mark

I don't understand why this information should remain private. Seems to me that 99% of the people here only utilize the forum. Me included...however I mainly visit to get a kick out of all of you.

And why is webpage statistics such a private and touchy subject?

CK

Sorry.. I was at work earlier....

I'll answer these in order:

1. Never used ezboard, never plan to. There have been other such forum dotcom companies that have tanked - and the boards vanish. We almost partnered with several while I worked at Musicfans.

2. An infopop forum (like this one) that has such a high volume of traffic CAN NOT be supported by any webhost for $50 a month. It simply isnt possible as any commercial offering. I've been working in the Internet/IT field since I was 18 (im now 25) and have worked with companies large and small, helping them to develop products/features that work - using the proper technology and the proper equipment. I have never done anything under par technically, and I dont intend on starting now and sacrificing the integrity of the site of forum.

3. Clear alternatives, yes: Keep the forum alive, find alternate hosting solution (hopefully via contacts I have) for either free or little expense, and still maintain 100% control and functionality, as well as plan for future improvements.

4. Interference.com is owned by me, as are my other domains. I am the sole domain owner as an individual. I am not incorporated, this is a hobby (an expensive and time consuming one). I do design and consulting freelance ( http://intangibledesign.com )besides maintain a normal job.

5. The money will be spent on hosting/servers for the next month, as I hopefully am able to transition to an alternative. The forum alone is going to take A LOT of my time to test and move onto a new server. If there is extra money from the next months expenses, it will be used possibly for whatever new costs there are as a result of the alternative/transition, and/or will be donated most likely to the Red Cross.

Did I cover everything?

------------------
-Elvis
http://interference.com

Will any of the money be used for your other site "The Art of Life"

I seem to remember a thread about that site some time ago. Hopefully that site will keep running also.

- dancing bearfoot

---------------------
keep on trucking

Originally posted by Dancing Barefoot:
Will any of the money be used for your other site "The Art of Life"

Thats hosted on a small server which is paid for out of the money I make from hosting other clients. Not that you needed to know that much info.. but s'ok.

------------------
-Elvis
http://interference.com

?

Boink, hoping Elvis will answer. I understand if you think this info is private. I'd just like to know before 'investing'.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom