Is it not selling out if it's PBS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeloo

War Child
While at my Grandmother's house on Saturday I was surprised to hear the opening notes of "Streets" playing on her TV and ran downstairs to see what it was. She was watching PBS, and it was a commercial, or whatever PBS calls it, for their show Great Performances. As they played the whole opening of Streets, they showed clips of stuff from their shows. Then at the end, they played the very end of Streets. No lyrics were ever used. Now my question is, first, did U2 even know this, and do they care? And if they did, is it not technically 'selling out' to a commercial if it's PBS since they have no real commercials? I know they are against having their songs used in commercials and refused millions from a car company who wanted to use streets.

I think in 90% of popular songs being used in commericals or trailers or whatnot, it's more of a record company decision rather than a band decision. That said, I don't think U2 are going to be too bothered by that.

So it's kind of like a classical reference of something that's so well known it becomes the property of the world because everyone knows it?

if it's not being used to sell a product, i do not believe you need the band's permission to use a song. after all, the wwf used beautiful day to promote Triple H comming back from knee surgery... not exactly u2's normal crowd. seeing as PBS is not for profit, i believe they have the right to use the song... i dunno... i could be wrong

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if it's not being used to sell a product, i do not believe you need the band's permission to use a song. after all, the wwf used beautiful day to promote Triple H comming back from knee surgery... not exactly u2's normal crowd. seeing as PBS is not for profit, i believe they have the right to use the song... i dunno... i could be wrong

Think you are right. I've heard Radiohead songs used to promote MTV programs and I honestly don't think they would jump at the chance to promote Sorority Life or something like that.

The now defunct Orange County News Channel used the intro to Streets as their theme and background music for at least 10 years that I can recall...I doubt that the band gave them permission to do so but they weren't using it to sell or endorse a product.

U2 is in the music business to make money to support themselves and their families/loved ones, so techincally, everything they do is "selling out"...

Rachel D. said:
I've heard "Until the End of the World" and "Sweetest Thing" on PBS before. I think somebody there just likes U2.

count.gif

u2 ahh ahh ahh

PBS rules, they did air the Under a Blood Red Sky concert once.

And a while back I saw Bono being interviewed by some guy on PBS.

And PBS makes you smart!

Back
Top Bottom