Is it just me or does Popmart Vegas not sound that bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
Someone posted Popmart Vegas on these boards about a week ago and I was suprised when I listened to it from beginning to end that I found that for the most of it that it sounded fine..
"Staring at the sun they fucked up but I liked it the second time"
"Discotheque was aweful"

But I really enjoyed it.. I can't see what the big deal is based on the sound quality. I mean it was U2's first concert in 4 years.

I really enjoyed Miami, Mofo, Gone and Pride in this concert..

Does anyone have an opinion on this ?

Cheers thanks alot!

just a question... it has nothing to do with this topic tough...

Did U2 sold out every stadium in USA leg during Pop Mart? Because i heard rumours that the attendance in the first show of the tour was very weak.

Do you FEEL loved?
Do you FEEL LOOOOOOVED?

Amazing, I hate the fact that they dropped it.

Yes I love that one too Mr The Aardvark
It's really cool live..

"Fricking silly bastards not getting into it in the first 7 or 8 shows caused it to be dropped, that goes for Miami too"..

about half of the first 10 shows sold out I think. Salt Lake City and Denver I know didn't Denver had a blizzard I know, not sure about the others..
After that though they pretty much got back on track. According to my U2: A Concert Documentary

Squire said:
just a question... it has nothing to do with this topic tough...

Did U2 sold out every stadium in USA leg during Pop Mart? Because i heard rumours that the attendance in the first show of the tour was very weak.

There were some Popmart shows during the US leg that did NOT sell out.

The first show sold out by the way
Sam Boyd stadium only holds a capacity of 39,000 and thats how many tickets it sold

There were a few Popmart US shows that did not fill half the arena, for example, New Orleans. Also, a large section of the top level were typically closed off (by placing a tarp over'em) during the last show of multiple night stands (for example, Giants Stadium on June 3).

One more thing... As far as the original topic is concerned, the bootleg for the LV Popmart show does sound very good (it's a soundboard recording). Bono actually sounds young on the bootleg I have. But that's only half the battle...

The band was nervous. There were a lot of flubbs by Adam, Larry, and The Edge in their various parts. U2 took forever to figure out how to finish songs (WOWY, IGWSHA, etc.). It's like they didnt practice that critical part during rehearsels!!

Most importantly, there was no connection between the band and the fans, and the band and the video projections. They were dwarfed by the stage. Everyone was simply "out of step" due mostly to the fact that no one knew what being "in-step" was.

Yeah, I'll agree that the Las Vegas concert isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

But I will say there were some cringe-worthy moments the first time I listened to the show. And I didn't cringe because it was terrible, but because I felt bad for them, knowing now how unprepared they felt.

Heck, even going into the Vertigo Tour they said they felt unprepared, so I can't imagine how they felt then.

...I think the Las Vegas performance of Mofo is one of the best. :up:

LuvandPeace1980 said:
Someone posted Popmart Vegas on these boards about a week ago

who, what, where???

any links?:hyper: :bow:

I think the soundboard recording is horrible. I would rather have an audience recording. The loops on Do You feel loved and Mofo are inaudible, wich makes them kinda tame. But it's very interesting anyway, different from the other shows in many ways. The Mofo drum intro is awesome, and it's a lot longer like the studio version. Last Night On Earth doesnt have that cartoon intro. Staring at the sun full band is pretty good imo. Miami well, Larry and Adam doesnt come in as early as they should. There's no Lemon, and Discotheque doesnt seque into IYWTVD, wich is also the full version, with Edge solo. Wowy's got some kind of added disco beat. HMTMKMKM has a different intro.

Last edited:
I was at the Las Vegas Popmart show, in row 20 on the field.

I actually had a ticket located in the back, but security was lax and I snuck up to the front.

Getting tickets was easy, plenty of good seats available at the box office just before the show, no line.

I remember being appalled at having to pay $50 for this concert, what a ripoff!

Rage Against The Machine opened, and by the time they were through, the first 30 rows of plastic chairs on the field were destroyed. Who the hell decided to use chairs at an outdoor U2 show?

Between sets, new chairs were brought in. Naturally, like a typical Las Vegas show, most of the people in these chairs near the front were rich wannabes, people who just wanted to be seen, or who were trying to impress their girlfriends.

I only found one other guy in the front who stood with me and sang every song they played, including the Pop stuff. Most of the other people around us just sat down and nodded their heads. Expect the upcoming Vegas shows in November to be the same way... full of non-fans who know maybe three songs.

I only remember U2 flubbing up only once during the show, when they had to restart one of their new songs (don't recall which). Everyone laughed and thought it was cool, actually, made them seem human. Other than that, they sounded great to me.

Of course, we were so blown away by that gigantic stage set and huge TV screen... U2 could have played 'Chopsticks' all night and still got a standing o.

The whole problem with that PopMart Tour was that it followed an unpopular album, at least here in the States. Many people I spoke with after the show said that they only liked U2's "old stuff". The new songs didn't go over very well live (how many Pop songs have they played on this tour? None? Hmmmmm...).

It's easy to criticize and nitpick a live recording.

If I could go back in time, however, I'd pay a lot more than $50 to see that show again, no problem.

Last edited:
pop music
Mofo
I Will Follow
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Do You Feel Loved?
Pride
I Still Haven't Found
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Until The End Of The World
/ If God Will Send His Angels

, Staring At The Sun take 1
,staring at the sun take 2
Daydream Believer

, Miami
/, Bullet the Blue Sky
, Please
, Where the Streets Have No Name

Discotheque,
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
, With or Without You

, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
, Mysterious Ways,
One

maro_chik said:
...I think the Las Vegas performance of Mofo is one of the best. :up:

I started a thread stating the same once and got flamed, LOL. I simply love that performance of Mofo, it´s one of my faves, especially because of the drums and Bono´s voice. Glad to know I´m not alone.

MT

I haven't heard the live recording, so I don't know. I was at that opening night show, and don't remember details like the rest of you might. I do remember them having to restart the song 'Staring At The Sun'. They were at the tip of the runway there, and admittedly said they f**ked up, and restarted. My friends weren't familiar with the new album yet, but I knew some of it, and still enjoyed it. "Please" was great. I left the concert feeling it was still good, being U2 and all, but was not a great show.

Would I pay full fare Burbank to Vegas again at the last minute, stay in a room with some friends who got a room comped at the last minute (Vegas was packed for U2 and other conventions) , have a wild excursion from the hotel to the stadium with a cab driver driving over barriers and such (and who we tipped big & he came back after the show to pick us up?) In a HEARTBEAT!:yes:

If that show is still up online somewhere, perhaps mp3s, I'd love to hear it again...

I think its a great show, and if any of you can get your hands on the video from that concert then DO IT. Its a cool vid

I was under the presumtion that Discoteque/Velvet dress were an extended medley with both songs being shorter than their album versions.

Also, both songs had lots of "smoke and mirrors" when performed live. But that is completely beside the point.

That said, it's rare for u2 to structure a set in a roughly 'old one/new one' setup. Especially after 92 tour opened with 7 or so new songs in a row.

u2FP

Back
Top Bottom