is it just me or did bono seem pissed off at Mary J. during "One"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ljclary said:
I agree-I think Bono had had a few too many.

I also think One was awesome. That song is so powerful and MJB sang it from her soul. I think that song deserves to have it sung with major amounts of emotion. It is a spiritual song and she sang it to the last row of that arena.

I also think U2 plays one alot in public b/c of what it stands for. It is wodely known that One is one of the most respected and envied songs of the music world. Axl Rose has even said that song changed his life for him. (obviously it didn't change it enough) Could you think of a more appropriate song to have been played at the Hurricane Relief fund?

I am not so sure why so many people on this thread are criticisizing the band. The played the Grammys!! And won 5!!!

Very nice post - I agree with it completely. :wink:

I think that it's very presumptuous to try to say definitely whether Bono had a few or not - no one here really knows so it's all empty conjecture.

And who should really care anyway? Who here has the right to judge Bono?

I don't think Bono was drunk - I still say he was very nervous and maybe took a drink to relax.

Who wouldn't (take a drink) if they were up for so many Grammy awards?

The constant strain on Bono to be all thing to all people must weigh heavy on him sometimes. That strain itself could lead a person to an occasional drink.

And I don't think Bono was mad at Mary J. Blige - blown away by her amazing performance / deep in contemplation about the personal meaning of the song in his life, but not mad.

I thought U2's performances were terrific, although I would like to see them perform other songs than the ones they did last night.

U2 - :bow:

tiny dancer said:
I was thinking that the reason that they played One, was maybe for the One Campaign?

No, it's because the duet appears on MJB's new album. There was never any doubt in my mind that they would play One with her this year. I personally love it...MJB certainly "takes it to church" just like Bono said at one point a few months ago, when they sang it at the relief benefit for Hurricane Katrina! She sings it with force and has an amazing gospel voice.

I think 2 things.

1. Bono was not drunk, but yes, a bit buzzed.

2. I really think he just stepped back b/c he was emotional. And I joked that he was overwhelmed b/c of where MJB was taking that song.

Plus, he wasn't feeling right so he might not have wanted to "take it to church" with her. He does get shy though too at times. See, lots of reasons. But I don't think pissed.

Was it just me that had to change the channel? I could NOT listen to "One" being torn to shreds. Guh. The precious song is still preserved to me LOL.

Jamila said:

Who here has the right to judge Bono?

That is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read on this forum.

I don't at all want to drag any of this out or dwell on how terrifying such a sentiment obviously is, but I will point out that you, yourself, seem to think that you're perfectly qualified, so to speak, to judge Bono. In a positive light, of course, but they're judgements all the same. See the forest, see the trees, giddyup.

He's not, fuckin'....infallible, or something. We all have the right to judge him as we see fit.

I was really looking forward to "One" being performed by Mary and U2. I was disappointed in their performance. It was just OK for me and I was definitely not blown away. Also, their performance of Vertigo was mediocre at best.

I don't think Bono was drunk. His acceptance speech was rambling and odd, but I think that's just Bono for you. Or maybe it was just a case of nerves.

MattFromNYC said:
he harshly pulled his hand away froim hers and mved his up higher to move away from her grasp, almost like in dusgust.

Yes that's it! Did you see the part where he stuck his tongue at her and spat at her? And after the song was over she punched him in the face. He in conclusion gave her a karate chop in the kisser. :happy:

My judging of him possibly being a bit tipsy comes more from his facial expressions. If he wasn't buzzing, he was really out there mentally at times. Meh, I really should stop posting since I have not cared at all, ever. They won! BOOYAH!

Jamila said:

I think that it's very presumptuous to try to say definitely whether Bono had a few or not - no one here really knows so it's all empty conjecture.

And who should really care anyway? Who here has the right to judge Bono?

It's one thing for people, say, to accuse Bono of sniffing coke backstage - it's another to assume he had a couple drinks beforehand. What's the big deal? *scratches head* It's not going to ruin some sort of reputation he has. I mean... this is Bono we're talking about here. We all know the guys enjoy a good Guinness, and this is hardly the first time they've been a bit tipsy at award shows. Let us not forget the time when the entire band was drunk and the "female orgasmatron" comments. I think the drinking was a bit more obvious that night. LOL.

Bono sang the song higher than normal at first - I think he did this to keep it in Mary's key, not his.

"One" starts out very slowly - please re-listen to AB. When I first heard "One" back in '91, I didn't like it because of how slowly it started.

Blige's vocals were way too low at first - almost out of her range. Shows you why Bono had to sing higher. But then she went into her "gospel mode" at the end, with Bono joining it and it sounded great. I was rather impressed.

So despite the bitching of 40000 U2 fans, you're really all wrong - except BEAL. ;) He's always right.

shart1780 said:
Maybe it was because MJB completely hogged the song and spazzed out on stage like she was having a seizure.

Seriously guys, you can like the performance and you can dislike the performance (and I for one agree with U2Man that Bono seemed off and has been off with One for the majority of the Vertigo Tour....) BUT, Mary J, whatever you may think of her, did not "steal" or "hog" the song. U2 and MJB have performed the song together multiple times and they have it down pat in terms of who sings when.

I actually think that One was supposed to be more of a MJB performance than a U2 performance, as the duet is on her album and U2 had already done Vertigo. One HAS been butchered in the last few years. But that has nothing to do with Mary J.

Why do people keep saying Blige spazzed out and stuff? I watched her perform and I was reminded of what a performer can do if they put their entire heart and soul into a song. Christ, Bono used to do the same back in the 80's.

Indeed - ONE hasn't had so much passion since ZooTV

I am listening to the MJB on her retail CD - it sounds good. (get rid of Bono on it totally I say - he is holdeing her back :)

I love that little ooooooooooohh thing she does at the end.

Back
Top Bottom