Is it hard to hook up a DVD player & a VCR to the same TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried before for a report I did on Malcolm X, I was gonna show some clips in class, but all I had was the DVD. It wouldn't record right, so I brought my DVD player to school and used it.

Most DVD players do some encoding thing when hooked to a VHS, so you can record, but it looks bizarre. As for the difficulty of hooking both to a tv, depends on what kind of tv and vcr you have.

Ah just my subject. LOL.

I just bought a DVD player, hooked it up through my vcr and tv. Now my tv has no plugs in the back at all, just the cable line so everything else I had going through the vcr. Anyways, with the DVD player on and playing movies, the picture's color would fade from light to dark (like red) every 5 or so seconds. SO ANNOYING. I was like, ok what is going on. Finally my landlord was around and I asked him about it and he told me I needed to go buy an RF Modulator. Which I guess acts as a middle man between your tv and vcr, cable etc. Needless to say it worked! I have a perfect picture now. And no you cant record DVD to VHS you get lines all through the recording, I tried it already.
biggrin.gif

------------------
These days, days, days run away like horses over the hill...

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

[This message has been edited by SicilianGoddess (edited 11-29-2001).]

You're welcome and by the way, dont buy a modulator from Radioshack.

I got mine at Blockbuster for $30 and its simple and cured all my problems.

Wow exact same thing I was wondering! 2 hours I spent feckin around with it tonight!

SG, with the RF modulator does it not record clearly? I dunno, but I am almost sure I recorded a DVD to VHS when I first got the DVD player, and it worked perfectly, but hadn't hooked them up until now, and I'm getting the same problem as you, that light to dark and then lines all over it, argh! Ah well, guess my friends gotta buy the VHS

Hmm well I havent tried recording from DVD to VHS since I got the modulator.. I tried when I first got the DVD without the modulator and just got lines through it..interesting..I might try it tonite and see if it still copies with lines through it.

My main concern though at the time was getting the picture to look normal just playing the damn thing! Which it did once I hooked up the modulator, so I was pleased enough at that point and wasnt concerned about recording to VHS.

But I'll try and see what happens!

Can you clarify this sentence for me..lol:

I recorded a DVD to VHS when I first got the DVD player, and it worked perfectly, but hadn't hooked them up until now,

You lost me.

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Can you clarify this sentence for me..lol:

I recorded a DVD to VHS when I first got the DVD player, and it worked perfectly, but hadn't hooked them up until now,

You lost me.

biggrin.gif

Lost me too
biggrin.gif
Umm, what I was saying was I got the DVD player, and originally had it hooked up to the VHS and tv, and during that time recorded something, and remember it working! Between then and now, had the VHS on a different telly, so connected it back up, and now I'm getting the same problems you mentioned. Ah feck this anyway, stupid bloody things not letting me make extra copies so I can give em to my friends for free!

Ok so your main query is that you want to copy the dvd onto vhs tapes? Other than that it works fine? Clear picture?

I think I lost myself and you were making sense the whole time. LOL.

[This message has been edited by SicilianGoddess (edited 11-30-2001).]

Hehe, ahem, yes, DVD onto VHS would be my main worry, I have absolutely no bother connecting all those feckers up to my TV at the same time. That's cause of Scart cables, yours only has the cable input? Icky. Well, thanks for your help, and let me know if that RF modulator makes a difference in the recording, I dunno what is up with mine, maybe the whole "you're not actually meant to use em like this" factor is against me, ah well.

Back
Top Bottom