Is HTDAAB is a good sign for U2 fans! I don't know but heres my thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
Now please don't get upset with me all you HTDAAB haters out there. Some people out there who I feel are the minority don't see HTDAAB as a great album and in some corner of my mind which I have successfully now pushed to the background, I can see there point. HTDAAB does come across as a pretty safe record. It has no real new sounds or structures from previous U2 albums, it is definitely not an experimental album it seems. It also apart from the Africa references has no real new themes either, they all bind around Bono and what he is doing in the world and a call to bring peace for him(His Dad’s death) and for the world. The album is also not a huge rocker like Bono promises we can really only blame ourselves for believing him again. I personally think U2 will always leave their rocking until the Tour.

Now that being said I feel HTDAAB contains some of the most transcient and real lyrics U2 have ever places on and album. Some people regard the simplicity of the lyrics as Bono not spending enough time on it or losing his mofo, excuse the pun. I don’t feel this way however as I can quite distinctly remember Bono mentioning that the album did not contain any clutter, it was all crisp and clean. He stated their was already too much clutter in the songs of today. I can see that in the songs, there are no imagery, there is no trickiness.

I think the songs are the most literal U2 have ever made apart from All That You Can’t Leave Behind’ but they are not as vague as ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’. HTDAAB is I feel however is a step back towards where they need to get to again to write these songs full of imagery and poetic landscapes. I think it has started in that direction again, mainly because the sound The Edge pioneered has returned on HTDAAB. It’s good to hear his guitar sound this good, it’s also nice to hear him playing the keyboard again. And on a lyrical note I am glad Bono has finally included some of his Humanitarian work into the new album.

The only things which I feel would have been nice on HTDAAB is maybe a song or two where the music is dominant and it runs off into the distance while Bono keeps quiet(Like the solo in Until The End Of The World), and/or even just an instrumental, it would have been nice. Bono barely keeps his voice below a screaming level these days and some of U2’s best work revolves around those tracks, those times give you moments to absorb the feeling.

For this same thought I truly think one day The Unforgettable Fire will be U2’s real masterpiece, if not already by some. HTDAAB is a sign though and I mainly see it because of the distance between it and ATYCLB in terms of sound, and I am excited at the next project already, hopefully there will be some more experimentation and a bit more of an electronic edge to the album.. What do you people feel about that ? :)

PS: “This is not intended to piss any one off about HTDAAB or ATYCLB”
I have never been quite so pleased to hear a hyped up album(I have only had 3) as they day I heard HTDAAB, when I first heard Vertigo I was shocked that U2 could produce something so energetic.
When I heard ATYCLB I thought it was nice, POP I was a little shocked by some of the songs and disappointed as well, but it only took me a couple of weeks and I loved it..

HTDAAB is a great record, not with you on your "safe" indication
If U2 wants to be safe they have to put an extraordinary record
Thats the only "safe" aproach you U2 fans should get from this band

U2 make music from their hearts.

Aygo said:
I'm going to repeat: in my opinion, HTDAAB is U2's greatest masterpiece, place beside Joshua and Achtung. Simply perfect, my fav album!!!:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Totally agree with you, I simply don´t understand some people bashing HTDAAB, in the future will be recognized like a true masterpiece, just see the future classics in it:

VERTIGO
MIRACLE
SOMETIMES
LAPOE
CITY
ORIGINAL

HTDAAB is a bright and powerful sign, to wait for the next album, (without a doubt, will be a very great one), because, U2 still got the fire !!

HTDAAB is one of the most accomplished albums you could ever hope to listen to.

It'll never get the credit it deserves I don't think.

About your comment about The Unforgettable Fire, I don't think it will ever be considered as the REAL U2 MASTERPIECE. It's one of the great albums but people don't generally see it that way.
I think Joshua Tree pretty much owns the "masterpiece" label.

But I fear the end is nigh for U2...we can't expect many more albums form a band that is obviously looking at pursuing other things in their life.

Does anyone know HTDAAB's billboard chart position for this week starting May 19th, 2005?

I know it's been dropping rapidly lately, it was at 67 I think last week.

The only way I could track its positioning was through the internet top 20 sales, since I could only see the top 50 billboard, but now it's out of the Internet top 20, so I don't know where it is at... just curious, thanks!

- Nick

I seen it as the number 11 in my local shop, I think UF is U2's greatest album, Bad, UF, Pride and ASOH are true classics, and i hope the next U2 album, is UF2, the new albumis great, with some great songs. Vertigo, is the rocker, the rest are about the lyrics, except AMAAW which is a lovers song, and Fast cars the new U2 classic.

Good post, LuvandPeace1980! I agree with you on the 'Bono should've kept quiet to let the guitar speak for itself every now and then' part. And the production could've been better. Vertigo and ABOY could've been less loud. Loud does not equal Rock. The songs themselves have grown on me, despite the sometimes awkward lyrics. I esp. love miracle drug and crumbs.

Billboard Chart Position this week is 71.....however that is not unexpected from the US, where I maintain U2 has one of their weakest fanbases in the world...however it has sort of come back over the last 2 albums.

Canada it is at 29....and in general the album is in the top 50 world wide....and #20 on the world chart so its still doing great...with close to 8 million copies sold to consumers now.

The more I listen to it, the more I am tempted to call it my 3rd favorite behind JT and AB.

It's been a while since Edge has been so prominent on a U2 album (I dare say, since AB), and it's been a long while since a U2 album had such a strong second half.

i think htdaab is great but for the band to take the next step forward by taking an achtung baby reinvention of there music, seems unlikely but if bob dylan did it so many damn times U2 can do it

I'm Ready said:
i think htdaab is great but for the band to take the next step forward by taking an achtung baby reinvention of there music, seems unlikely but if bob dylan did it so many damn times U2 can do it

Yeah and hence the reason for my post and why I have mentioned that in my post.
U2 have mentioned a couple of times that the next album is going to be a different direction again which excites me alot!

Back
Top Bottom