Is Edge's opening riff in ABOY "morse code"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
Does anyone here know morse code? I swear that Edge's opening riff at the beginning of All Because of You (and later in the bridge) sounds an awful lot like morse code. Granted, I don't know morse code...it just sounds like it to me.

I'm not trying to give this any deeper meaning than just the great rock tune that it is, but it could be an interesting angle. Hmmm.

I agree that you shouldn't name call....... but interesting and relevant? I don't think I'd agree with that.

Two great things about the internet and forums:

1. Freedom of speech. You can excercise freedom of speech anonymously (like I did). It's a great way to exchange ideas.

2. The anonymity of the internet allows people like pittTodd up there to say things to people that they'd never have the guts to say in person.

Enough said. I hope.

Knuckle said:
Does anyone here know morse code? I swear that Edge's opening riff at the beginning of All Because of You (and later in the bridge) sounds an awful lot like morse code. Granted, I don't know morse code...it just sounds like it to me.

I'm not trying to give this any deeper meaning than just the great rock tune that it is, but it could be an interesting angle. Hmmm.

Yuup! It's morse code for "A-W-E-S-O-M-E-I-N-T-R-0"!:wink:

word on the street is...edge got together with jack black for the intro (imagining jack black air guitaring and making crazy faces and noises that sound like ABOY :laugh: )

"edge, make a song that'll MELT THEIR FACES!!!"

Last edited:
To me, that guitar part resembles the sound Fred Flintstone's toes make when he's kick starting his car.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I thought it was Morse Code for "W-E-L-O-V-E-T-H-E-W-H-O"!

I swear that's what I translated. :huh:

Are you being serious? I don't know.... But if you are that's interesting because Bono says "A love song for The Who" in the Brooklyn performance. Now if you were joking I'll look like a jackass :reject:

Haa, I love this thread. This is unbelievable.

:lol:

As you can hear :edge: is playing a single note and the shifted octave of it. Like an FSK-Code ( Frequency Shift Keying).
This is used to encode digital information. In this case when you decode edges guitar as binary code you get:

42 !!!!

:wink:

Shade said:
To me, that guitar part resembles the sound Fred Flintstone's toes make when he's kick starting his car.
It took me a long time breaking it down into dots and dashes and translating, but it in fact is:
"Yabba Dabba Do"

"We Love The Who" in Morse code is:
.-- . / .-.. --- ...- . / - .... . / .-- .... ---

"Yabba dabba do" in Morse code is:
-.-- .- -... -... .- / -.. .- -... -... .- / -.. ---

:eyebrow:
sorry guys :wink:

dr.dae said:
Haa, I love this thread. This is unbelievable.

:lol:

As you can hear :edge: is playing a single note and the shifted octave of it. Like an FSK-Code ( Frequency Shift Keying).
This is used to encode digital information. In this case when you decode edges guitar as binary code you get:

42 !!!!

Wait, isn't that the answer the computer gives in A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Perhaps Edge remembered the secret of the universe that he lost...:wink:

All right, all right. I think I've been savaged enough. Can someone please put this thread out of its misery?

Awwww, but we were just starting to have a good time.:wink: It really was a valid question, I think. But the thread goes the way the thread will go...

Back
Top Bottom