Is 'Boy' one of the great debut records in rock? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2005, 12:32 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bathiu

The world see 'War' as a classic, "great debut record".

Agree 100 % % % ...
Absolutely Right ... on that one !!

Old 04-25-2005, 01:18 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Eh, Grace and Buckley's legend only grew after he died. When he was alive Grace didn't sell that much and pretty much went unnoticed. He had a pretty good cult following going though.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:39 AM   #18
Babyface

Local Time: 06:38 AM
I think that Boy is a great debut, but, i doubt that many people could name more than 1 tune from that album eg- i will follow, i bet the casual got a shock when they played an cat dubh/into the heart in san diego, i was suprised also, but,
there seems to be a new generation of admirers tho, new bands citing Boy as an influence, like the bravery the killers the futureheads etc, so "cult classic" comes to mind.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by david
Eh, Grace and Buckley's legend only grew after he died. When he was alive Grace didn't sell that much and pretty much went unnoticed. He had a pretty good cult following going though.
Whaaaa?

Maybe in your neck of the woods.

I knew who he was after he had done a short club tour of Australia BEFORE "Grace" was released and the buzz about his live show was huge.

I bought "Grace" and saw him when he next toured Australia, and played in my city (not big like Sydney or Melbourne) in a 1,500 or so sized hall.

One of the top 10 shows I've ever seen. INCLUDING U2.
Brilliant.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:38 PM
yes.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

While "Boy" is a great record, and there is a lot of deep imagery and meaning behind it, but as far as establishing itself as one of "Rock's" great debut albums it falls short. While you'll still hear "I Will Follow" on radio that's about it.

Like someone else said, even some ardent Rock fans might be hard pressed to name more than 1 or 2 songs off of it. I love and still listen to this record, but I agree that "War" was the first U2 album to make a real impression with the Rock/Pop audience.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
While "Boy" is a great record, and there is a lot of deep imagery and meaning behind it, but as far as establishing itself as one of "Rock's" great debut albums it falls short. While you'll still hear "I Will Follow" on radio that's about it.

Like someone else said, even some ardent Rock fans might be hard pressed to name more than 1 or 2 songs off of it. I love and still listen to this record, but I agree that "War" was the first U2 album to make a real impression with the Rock/Pop audience.
Boy has seven songs that could show up any night this tour. An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, The Ocean, and The Electric Co. have shown up already. Stories For Boys has been snippeted. I Will Follow and Out Of Control are always possibilities.

Furthermore, the record has been sited by some of today's young bands i.e. The Killers, FF, etc etc as being an influence.

But all that aside, I'm talking purely based on the quality of the music. By that criterion, I think Boy is there.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:35 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I see your point about the songs showing up on the current setlist, but does that really make it a "great debut record"? I don't know about that.

As for the influence, are you sure those bands are singling out "Boy" or are they talking about U2 in a more general term?

But on the basis of quality, absolutely. In fact until "The Joshua Tree" there is not a more cohesive U2 album in between. The ideas and images of "Boy" are well defined and represented in song, without any hiccups.

However, if U2 fans are the only judges then yes "Boy" is a landmark debut, however while Rock Historians will agree with some points made here, they will point to other debut albums that much more impact than "Boy" did. They will be perceived to be better commercially and historically than "Boy" even if the bands flamed out long before U2 ever will.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:39 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:38 AM
In my opinion, no. There have been far better debuts.

If U2 had split after Boy, would they be remembered? Realistically, no, except as a footnote in one of those "Bands of the 80's that looked interesting but never quite made it" type of articles the music press sometimes print.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
I see your point about the songs showing up on the current setlist, but does that really make it a "great debut record"? I don't know about that.

As for the influence, are you sure those bands are singling out "Boy" or are they talking about U2 in a more general term?

But on the basis of quality, absolutely. In fact until "The Joshua Tree" there is not a more cohesive U2 album in between. The ideas and images of "Boy" are well defined and represented in song, without any hiccups.

However, if U2 fans are the only judges then yes "Boy" is a landmark debut, however while Rock Historians will agree with some points made here, they will point to other debut albums that much more impact than "Boy" did. They will be perceived to be better commercially and historically than "Boy" even if the bands flamed out long before U2 ever will.
I think 'The Unforgettable Fire' was very cohesive.

But I'm not saying 'Boy' is a top 5 or top 10 debut record of all time. The list I linked to earlier had it at #37, which I think is fair, although I'd probably have it somewhere between #10 and #20. But Zep's debut, Doors debut, others that have been mentioned(though I really don't know about Buckley) should be higher on the list.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:44 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

That's my point financeguy! You just cut out the flack and went to the point. If "Boy" had been U2's only album they'd be a footnote in Rock History. Unlike the Sex Pistol who releases only one real studio album and are considered legends.

Guns 'N Roses could've only released "Appetite For Destruction" and they'd be considered legends too. Unfortunately they never quite put it altogether again...but that first album KILLS!!! "Boy" does not kill like "Appetite".
Old 04-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

I think 'The Unforgettable Fire' was very cohesive.

But I'm not saying 'Boy' is a top 5 or top 10 debut record of all time. The list I linked to earlier had it at #37, which I think is fair, although I'd probably have it somewhere between #10 and #20. But Zep's debut, Doors debut, others that have been mentioned(though I really don't know about Buckley) should be higher on the list.
UF is so UN-cohesive it sounds cohesive. I remember hearing that album in 1984 wishing it sounded more like "War". Any album with a song like "Elvis Presley and America" is not cohesive in my book. Remember that was U2 first "experimental" album, so it sounded out of whack at the time.

I need to look at the list your talking about. I missed that somehow. I think that "Boy" is in the top 30 alltime debut albums, so 37 isn't terribly off where I'd put it.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Boy is a great debut record but I don't think it can be mentioned alongside The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Appetite or Ten just cos it wasn't as influential or far-reaching. As much as I love the Beatles, I don't consider Please Please Me as a classic debut either.

Boy didn't explode onto the scene or make U2's music a trend that a whole bunch of bands immediately started following... at least from what I've heard of that time.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 06:38 AM

I like Boy, but I tend to think a lot of U2 fans overrate it. It's got some gems, and yes, it's a pretty cool album for guys who were that young and were more or less self taught, and so on. But if you look at it on its own merits as a debut album, without saying "well look how young they were" or whatever...I just think the sound is a bit thin and immature, and many of the songs are nowhere near the quality they would later achieve. I'd say the Police, Led Zeppelin, Jeff Buckley, Crowded House and Duran Duran (yes, I'm serious), to name a few of my personal favourites, all released better debuts. And yes, a lot of those guys/bands had other bands, musical experience etc before those debuts...but I wouldn't look at that so much; just the fact that they're debuts. In the category of "young and didn't know much about music," Boy is almost certainly one of the greatest debuts ever.

My two cents!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:38 AM
I don't think it's a classic debut, but it ain't bad for a bunch of teenagers.

In fact personally, I love the album to death, I think it's so consistent and I just love most of the songs for some reason. In fact, I like it better than Led Zeppelin (cos I just don't care for LZ), but I still think that was a more "classic debut" than Boy.