Is Bono the only...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
one as a singer that has a voice that has changed so much over the years? Sure most singers change the older they get.

But Bono's voice has change so much for an example how much his voice changed from 83-84, 90-91 and 94-97. Its amazing. He sounds different on every album.

I never heard any other singer change like Bono.

Liesje said:
I haven't heard many singers that have sung as much and for as long as Bono.

Very true.

I think Stipe has changed tremendously. He went from a mumbling limited range singer to a very dynamic singer, the tone although very distinctive has changed as well over the years.

Thom Yorke changed quite bit between Pablo and Bends, but then again so did the whole band.

Also, Bono couldnt sing when they started, its amazing how fast he learned to sing like he did 8-10 laters later on Uf and Jt. Bono isnt a schooled singer and hasnt take many voice lessons.

Instead of most of singers who got worse with age, he has improved.

Last edited:
Bob Dylan went from having a nasally, whiny voice to having a gruff, slightly-less-nasally-but-still-whiny voice. :wink:

David Bowie's voice has deepened immensely over the years.

I can't picture him singing anything before Diamond Dogs as well as he used to.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Thom Yorke changed quite bit between Pablo and Bends, but then again so did the whole band.

is it bad that I prefer early Yorke? I mean his scream on You ... :drool:

and I'd say the more drastic change was between Bends and OK Computer...stylistically The Bends is pretty much just a better Pablo Honey.

I think Peter Gabriel is like that too. It was getting higher and higher during the Genesis years and during his solo career each album's vocals sounded very different from the last. Security and So were his peak. Then something happened between Passion and Us that resulted in his voice starting to get that much deeper quality. By Up it really deepened without a lot of those higher moments scattered in between. It is a shame. :(

I agree with the post about EJ. Throat surgery anybody?

Btw, Bono's voice has gotten worse, not better. He can't sing deeply or high anymore. WOWY sucks live.

:eyebrow: Lemonmelon I beg to differe!! Not on 'Lay Lady Lay" Dylan doesn't!! My fave song by him Ever!! Other than that, I'd say Bryan Adams has Really learned to sing!! And Bono:heart: :drool: he's just perfect anyways!!!! hee...lol!:wink:

Scorpionac said:
I agree with the post about EJ. Throat surgery anybody?

Btw, Bono's voice has gotten worse, not better. He can't sing deeply or high anymore. WOWY sucks live.

:huh: Worse? Bono had some of his best moments in his career under Vertigo tour. He has never been so good since the 80's. He is doing things now he wasnt able to do even in the 80's. And I think he still is got deep in his voice. And I think if Bono want he can use his more operatic voice on WOWY, that would be realy great. Sure WOWY isnt what it was in the 80's but the best one in years is 2006-12-04 - Japan. :=

Scorpionac said:
Sorry, this comment is simply nonsense. Take WOWY from the 5th leg, let's say Melbourne 1st night, and this is easily one of the best versons of "With Or Without You", the band has performed in decades. And not only because of the perfect, yes perfect dramaturgy the band develops, but also (and even more) because Bono puts all his emotion in the lyrics, the sound of his voice. Then we get "Never Tear Us Apart" plus "Love Will Tear Us Apart" live. Pure emotion – and what a voice!

Smoking stuffs up your voice

thats the only reason y his voice his raspy and can't hit the night notes, his voiced has matured a bit but would sing a lot better if he didn't smoke. I was reading an article a few weeks ag on him and he said he now has to avoid smoky rooms to sing because his voice can't handle it any more

he has had to tune down most songs a whole step now: pride, all i want is you, sunday bloody sunday, bad, angel of harlem and New Years Day.

But on the subject on the post, Daniel Johns the lead singer from silverchair, his voice has changed so much you can not recognise it from his old voice.... his voice has changed from kurt cobain to justin timberlake in 4 years that was due to smoking as well....

Bono's voice is now worse in the sense that he can't hit the WOWY - Rattle and Hum / The Fly - Zoo TV lows anymore. But he's gotten much better at hitting higher notes on the Vertigo Tour.

phillyfan26 said:
Bono's voice is now worse in the sense that he can't hit the WOWY - Rattle and Hum / The Fly - Zoo TV lows anymore. But he's gotten much better at hitting higher notes on the Vertigo Tour.

yes that is true because he has stopped smokin

only pride is down a whole step from the original key.

New year's day and all I want is you are still in the original key.

So is angel of harlem, where the streets have no name, and wild horses on the vertigo tour ( they were down a half step on the previous tours.) play it against the studio version if you don't believe me. so in terms of hitting high notes he's doing just fine.

hope i gave you some good ammo, peterrr. :)

Liesje said:
I haven't heard many singers that have sung as much and for as long as Bono.

Have you heard Jon Anerson from Yes? He's been singing for 40 years and sounds almost EXACTLY the same. It's incredible really, I don't know how he does it.

But yeah, Bono's voice has changed a lot. For the better IMO. Well, I like it better than the Boy-War era singing. That was really bad IMO I don't like his singing there at all. My favorite era for him was the early nineties. A little bit of the nasally thing but still a lot of power. I actually kind of liked his Pop voice. Call me crazy.

shart1780 said:

I actually kind of liked his Pop voice. Call me crazy.

I love his Pop voice :wink: whenever I think of his Pop voice I think of the amazing falsetto on Please live

and I like the diversity of his voice on the Pop album

not his technically strongest but certainly interesting

Back
Top Bottom