Is Bono the only...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ultraviolet92 said:
Smoking stuffs up your voice

thats the only reason y his voice his raspy and can't hit the night notes, his voiced has matured a bit but would sing a lot better if he didn't smoke. I was reading an article a few weeks ag on him and he said he now has to avoid smoky rooms to sing because his voice can't handle it any more

he has had to tune down most songs a whole step now: pride, all i want is you, sunday bloody sunday, bad, angel of harlem and New Years Day.

But on the subject on the post, Daniel Johns the lead singer from silverchair, his voice has changed so much you can not recognise it from his old voice.... his voice has changed from kurt cobain to justin timberlake in 4 years that was due to smoking as well....

That interview must be old, on Vertigo they tuned up the songs again to its original. They even played MW in 1,5 on the 5th leg.

I can't tell for I just began listening a few years back....but I will take everyone's word for it.

I have listened to some concerts and have kind of noticed it. Now I will look for it:cool:

Age did influence his voice. Smoking cost him the nice and clean tone he had in the 80's (UF, JT, Rattle and Hum), but mostly the way he used to belt everything out for the first 10 years of touring affected his voice.

I think the voice Bono has today - and I am not complaining, because I love it - is the result of many factors that come with his lifestyle: Too much touring/concerts/live singing, "wrong" singing during their early days, drinking, smoking (I guess he reduced that, but he smoked a lot - too much - in the 90s) and most of all the talking he loves so much. But compared to many of his collegues in rock music, he still has a great voice. It's different now, and he has surely improved in terms of technique.

last unicorn said:
I think the voice Bono has today - and I am not complaining, because I love it - is the result of many factors that come with his lifestyle: Too much touring/concerts/live singing, "wrong" singing during their early days, drinking, smoking (I guess he reduced that, but he smoked a lot - too much - in the 90s) and most of all the talking he loves so much. But compared to many of his collegues in rock music, he still has a great voice. It's different now, and he has surely improved in terms of technique.

He improves more and more, and if he stop smkoing his voice will get much cleaner. If he could talk less, drink less and lose weight also he would make even more imporvements.

But I don't understand why people think it is weak now, like I said Bono is doing things with his voice he couldnt do on JT/Lt tour.

On Vertigo tour he showed us one of his best voice moments of his career. We know that he hold high notes for very long("sing" 8 sec, "l'amoure" 11 sec, "touch" 5 sec...), hit the high note "don't you look back" on WGRYWH(soemthing he has never done before), used very powerful falsetto(highway to hell snippet on Vertigo 2006-11-18 and "Child" on MW 2006-11-18, Wits), he showed power on Oprah with "don't give up" with "keep my ARMMMMMMMMMMMMS down below"(imagine him use this force on ISHFWILF). Showed us strength in "Rock N Roll ******" snippet on Vertigo. Sang Desire with much more power, they played MW in in 1,5 tuning, Streets in original tuning... Hold the Wide Awake high C for seconds, blowed away Robbie Williams version on Kids in Sydney. Sang OTH very beautiful. Hold the Pride chours(tell me any JT/LT show when he does that).

Well I can't call this WORSE, more: one of his best moments ever.

Peterrrrr said:

.....blowed away Robbie Williams version on Kids in Sydney.

He does sound amazing on Kids. (I listened to it a few times today just because I like his voice on it so much)

Peterrrrr said:

He improves more and more, and if he stop smkoing his voice will get much cleaner. If he could talk less, drink less and lose weight also he would make even more imporvements.

But I don't understand why people think it is weak now, like I said Bono is doing things with his voice he couldnt do on JT/Lt tour.

On Vertigo tour he showed us one of his best voice moments of his career. We know that he hold high notes for very long("sing" 8 sec, "l'amoure" 11 sec, "touch" 5 sec...), hit the high note "don't you look back" on WGRYWH(soemthing he has never done before), used very powerful falsetto(highway to hell snippet on Vertigo 2006-11-18 and "Child" on MW 2006-11-18, Wits), he showed power on Oprah with "don't give up" with "keep my ARMMMMMMMMMMMMS down below"(imagine him use this force on ISHFWILF). Showed us strength in "Rock N Roll ******" snippet on Vertigo. Sang Desire with much more power, they played MW in in 1,5 tuning, Streets in original tuning... Hold the Wide Awake high C for seconds, blowed away Robbie Williams version on Kids in Sydney. Sang OTH very beautiful. Hold the Pride chours(tell me any JT/LT show when he does that).

Well I can't call this WORSE, more: one of his best moments ever.

I agree with you that his voice hasn't got weaker or worse, it has just changed, due to several factors.

Like I said, I am not complaining, as I love his Vertigo voice.

But there's no denying that he had a really bad voice some years ago, and compared to that his voice now is fantastic, the best it has been in a very long time.

I also think, if he takes care and his voice is rested, he can be an excellent singer. Unless he decides to hold back his voice, which he sometimes seems to do.

last unicorn said:

But there's no denying that he had a really bad voice some years ago, and compared to that his voice now is fantastic, the best it has been in a very long time.

Yes, the best since the 80's and even better on some points :)

last unicorn said:

I also think, if he takes care and his voice is rested, he can be an excellent singer. Unless he decides to hold back his voice, which he sometimes seems to do.

Well he is an excellent singer :) And I think he is smart when he sometimes holds back his voice. We all know what happend to his voice last time he gave his all night after night...

His voice is better then we think he is able to do things we didnt know, he showed that specialy on the 5th leg. the falsetto he used in "highway to hell" snippet and "Child" on MW(both from 2006-11-18) showed that his falsetto is nearly as strong as on ZooTV. He used a very strong strenght in his voice on the "Rock N Roll ******" snippet on Vertigo(not 5th leg),"don't give up", kids...(oprah) well he could use this force more but as I said he voice would hurt. So I think he is smart holding it back sometimes.

I think his voice has gotten better over time, more refined and in better control, not so rough, untrained and yelling.

There was a thread a while back about him taking voice lessons with an audio of the voice coach but not of Bono if I remember right.

I think maybe the voice lesson's helped him.

Peterrrrr said:
one as a singer that has a voice that has changed so much over the years? Sure most singers change the older they get.

But Bono's voice has change so much for an example how much his voice changed from 83-84, 90-91 and 94-97. Its amazing. He sounds different on every album.

I never heard any other singer change like Bono.

Early Bono really couldn't sing. LOL! O.K., he was able to hold a note, hit some high notes and stay in tune overall. His voice, though, was perfect for that post-punk sound they were trying to capture. Still, listening to "New Year's Day" on "War" is a bit tough as Bono strains to hit some of those high notes - notes that he hits far better now, some 23+ years later, than he did then.

Come 1983 or so, I noticed that on the "Red Rocks" video, Bono's voice started sounding better - as if he learned to sing. Was he taking lessons then? Was he just becoming a better singer? Or was he now trying to put more work into his vocals? Bono once stated that in the early days, he just tried to get the vocals done as fast as he could - that he didn't really care how he sounded (this is heavily paraphrased). That might have changed come 1983 - and it certainly changed by the time U2 were recording UF, where we hear a very different Bono.

The singer that emerged then really found his stride on JT and R&H. Granted, in concert, Bono did resort to his "kermit voice" as some call it (I prefer to call it a pseudo-opera voice). Still, Bono was one of the few singers to use that operatic falsetto to hit high notes with power, while still blending in perfectly with a very high falsetto, screams, whispers and his normal great open throat voice.

By '91, Bono's style changed. I'm convinced that if he wanted to, he could have still sang as he did on R&H. But the stress that type of singing (Love Town Tour) did on his voice combined with the dramatic change in style (where Bono finally allowed his voice to be altered, where he "spoke" lyrics or sang in a whisper, where he toned down his vocals or even used his own voice as an obvious backing vocal) caused yet another shift, which he retained throughout the 90's.

The latter half of the 90's did see Bono's voice suffer some - and this was also apparent, albeit to a lesser extent, on ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour. This once powerful voice was not airy and weaker, due to years of touring, smoking, alcohol and age. Still, thanks to changes he made in his life, we could almost hear Bono's voice recover on the Elevation Tour.

Come HTDAAB and the Vertigo Tour, I feel we have the Bono of 1991, vocally, that is. Granted, he has more maturity to his voice - due to vocal lessons, age and really learning how to sing, not scream. This has given him the ability to hit high notes even better than in his youth, yet still be very powerful. Granted, he still isn't quite the Bono of 1987, but time will cause changes to even the best vocalists.

In other words, there have been changes due to Bono's overall health as well as changes due to U2's style differences. For example, belting out "One" as Bono did for "With or Without You" simply wouldn't have worked. This is one reason I'm not a fan of Alicia Keyes version of the song - she belts it out, and loses why the song was so powerful. This is a song about a person pleading, begging, yet she sings it like she's at her Sunday church. Maybe some like that interpretation of it, but for me, it ruins what the song is truly about. Plus, her singing is over the top - it's almost as if she's saying "Hey! Listen to me belt out this song" as opposed to, "listen to me sing one of the most lyrically powerful songs ever written". Bono's way of singing is perfect, and I'm glad he hasn't changed it over the years. "One" wouldn't have worked had he belted it out. Along those same lines, "Beautiful Day" needed a scratchy voice as it was about a man who had lost everything, yet still finding joy and love in the world. Bono passionately belting out "Sometimes..." works - a true inspiration. But Bono belting out "Beautiful Day" would have failed. And these style changes also play a big role in how he sounds.

So it's good we have a singer who can adapt his voice to various songs as well as adapt his voice to his own limitations at a given moment in time. Rarely does this occur - probably why he's considered one of the best male vocalists.

Re: Re: Is Bono the only...

doctorwho said:

By '91, Bono's style changed. I'm convinced that if he wanted to, he could have still sang as he did on R&H. But the stress that type of singing (Love Town Tour) did on his voice combined with the dramatic change in style (where Bono finally allowed his voice to be altered, where he "spoke" lyrics or sang in a whisper, where he toned down his vocals or even used his own voice as an obvious backing vocal) caused yet another shift, which he retained throughout the 90's.

Well I think he change the way he sing on ZooTV, but I don't think he still had the deep back then that he had on LT. If you listen to his bacsic voice(the one when he dosnt sing to low or to high, example TTTYAATW, One, LIB, WGRYWH) your realy hear that he had totaly different sound in his basic voice then, a bit weary wich he hadnt on LT. On LT he had much more deep and he sounded much more strong even when he just sang calm(like a Ferrari motor on idling). A very good example for that is the studio version on Night And Day, when hs sings the word "ONLY" in the first chours:

"ONLY you beneath the moon"

Well when he sings that word you realy hear the power in his voice, but he still sings calm. :)

So something happend after 90, he smoked a lot back then, even often in interviews...

doctorwho said:

"One" wouldn't have worked had he belted it out. Along those same lines, "Beautiful Day" needed a scratchy voice as it was about a man who had lost everything, yet still finding joy and love in the world. Bono passionately belting out "Sometimes..." works - a true inspiration. But Bono belting out "Beautiful Day" would have failed. And these style changes also play a big role in how he sounds.

But well I prefer BD on Vertigo tour, instead if his scratchy voice on the studio version(the Elevation tour version he sang it stonger then the studio version, but still a bit weak). The Vertigo version he pushes his voice, use falsetto... So that song went much better when he started to push his voice more :)

Peterrrrr said:

But Bono's voice has change so much for an example how much his voice changed from 83-84, 90-91 and 94-97. Its amazing. He sounds different on every album.

maybe its a different guy every time

think about it...

first we have a long hairded, skinny guy

then a sprayed hair, bulky guy

then a skinny shaved guy

then a bulkier semi long hair balding guy

then the guy IS NOT BALDING

then is fat

I mean... maybe they're all just different guys, with plastic surgeries flying all the way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lZyXHriqj0
peter_homer2.jpg

Re: Re: Is Bono the only...

pepokiss said:

maybe its a different guy every time

think about it...

first we have a long hairded, skinny guy

then a sprayed hair, bulky guy

then a skinny shaved guy

then a bulkier semi long hair balding guy

then the guy IS NOT BALDING

then is fat

I mean... maybe they're all just different guys, with plastic surgeries flying all the way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lZyXHriqj0
peter_homer2.jpg

You forgot the green frog

I like his current voice, I can't get enough of bootlegs from 5th leg of Vertigo tour, but I think he lost some roughness and agressivity in his voice, whit which he sang during JT, AB, and POP.
Current Bono is tenor, past Bono was more barritone

What about the surgery he had in the 90's (vocal chords...or was it something else) ? Maybe that changed his voice too.

maybe that's the reason why his voice was so weak during late 90's and ATYCLB era

He said in U2 by U2 that he had to take medication due to the allergies he was diagnosed with around 1999/2000, and they also affected his voice.

He's also allergic to red wine and still drinks it (but I think he's been drinking more white wine in recent years). I know singers who don't drink red wine at all because it has certain ingredients that affect the voice too much. It makes your mouth and throat dry.

His voice doesn't suit songs like Streets and Pride anymore.

But it's better than it was for Pop, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB songs.

I love Pride now. He's found a new to sing it, and to be fair, the way he sings it now, sounds better. In the past he strained to sing Pride, now he floats.

i think that all the years and everything he has seen and experienced as a human being ... all the joy and sadness..love ,loss... all are part of Bono's voice ... He sings from within .... never "phones it in".. you feel what he is feeling .. that is the magic of his voice ... there are very few singers who can take you right inside the song... and as of now ... there is no one like him.he can truely touch your soul .. with just one note.

phillyfan26 said:

Uh, no, it's because of age. You lose some depth as you age.

uh, i meant that it has improoved in the last 2 years in the vertigo tour because he has stopped smoking and can sit some higher notes now. He struggled to do this befor he quit

Bono's pop voice was its weakest at Pop.

I dont mean that in a bad way because his voice his good.

but if u listen to Last Night On Earth on the "youve got to give it away" bit

bono is struggling to hold those notes which arent that high

personally i like his lovetown and zoo tv voice it is amazing but i still like his voice now

jaynejenjune said:
i think that all the years and everything he has seen and experienced as a human being ... all the joy and sadness..love ,loss... all are part of Bono's voice ... He sings from within .... never "phones it in".. you feel what he is feeling .. that is the magic of his voice ... there are very few singers who can take you right inside the song... and as of now ... there is no one like him.he can truely touch your soul .. with just one note.

Ever heard of Peter Gabriel?

U2opra said:
I love Pride now. He's found a new to sing it, and to be fair, the way he sings it now, sounds better. In the past he strained to sing Pride, now he floats.

:yes: I think Pride and Streets are among the 80's songs that improved greatly.

Back
Top Bottom