Is Bono still able to sing lemon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i say yes, he sings well again. maybe he doesn't reach everytime the higher notes but his voice is clear again, almost like the old times....................so, why not try lemon on the third leg? wouldn't it be another great present for us after zoo station? i still trust in bono's falsetto!

I've been wondering if he can do that sort of falsetto anymore. I have a feeling he probably can't (at least not as well as he used to) but he's able to compensate for that with a more powerful, operatic voice than he's ever had before.

mmmm, that would be cool!
But I am not sure he could sing that song!

Bono's falsetto is great, but I personally prefer his voice when he keeps it low and soft, like a caress...
The song I'd love to hear him sing live is Your blue room.... can you imagine it?

Now, I know very little about singing, but wouldn't what he's currently singing during Miss Sarajevo be harder than the Lemon falsetto?

Any singing experts out there?

Axver said:
Now, I know very little about singing, but wouldn't what he's currently singing during Miss Sarajevo be harder than the Lemon falsetto?

Any singing experts out there?

actually it may be the same. in miss sarajevo like also in sometimes you cant it's about the extension of the voice, and you need to sing with the diaphragm. (anyway a good singer always uses it). when you sing falsetto it would be also fine to sing with it. you can do it also with the throat but then you may lose power. bono is using the diaphragm well, so maybe he would reach lemon

lady luck said:
mmmm, that would be cool!
But I am not sure he could sing that song!

Bono's falsetto is great, but I personally prefer his voice when he keeps it low and soft, like a caress...
The song I'd love to hear him sing live is Your blue room.... can you imagine it?

your blue room, there's a falsetto part, too!...................but perhaps he would speak that song:wink:

no he couldn't do it...his voice might have improved but he still can't sing that high like he used 2 be able 2. pride is played down one whole step, as opposed to most u2 songs which are down half a step. pride was recorded in standard tuning and has been played down a whole step since Popmart. If his voice was able to sing higher then they would play it up higher.

does any of that make sense? the long and the short of it is, no, his voice couldn't handle it IMO

Pride is also, IIRC, a setlist staple, which means he has to perform it every night. If Lemon was a one or two shot song, then I think he'd have no problems.

I heard rumors that the band was rehearsing Lemon before the tour started. But if Bono can't pull off the lemon falsetto anymore, I’m sure Edge could do the job!

I think that Bono's probably may be able to sing Lemon and make the falsetto again.
When you sing/talk in falsetto, in fact, is easier than you think, because instead of using all of your vocal chords (for example 4), you only use some of them (for example 2 to make the same sound). That's why the sound escapes thinner and like that. So Bono, may have lost part of his voice, but it seems that his capacity of notes extention and holding notes is stronger, so it's probable that he's capable to do it.

Well, Willie Williams CONFIRMED that they were rehearsing Lemon before the tour, so they were considering to play it again! Perhaps they left this idea because:

1) It doesn't sound good these days.
2) They weren't sure if this is a good choice to bring lemon again. Mayby they were afraid how casual fans will react to it. (though I doubt; they've brought songs like an cat dubh or zoo station! it's a proof they are not afraid to experiment with retired tracks)
3) They wanted to bring back some 90's songs, so they rehearsed a couple of them, including lemon, but they decided that zoo station, the fly and MW are the best choices.

Back to the topic: yes, I think Bono could sing lemon again, but it would sound different (not so well like on zoo tv), mayby even he would not sing it in a falsetto way? Totally different, hard rocking version of lemon? :wink:

Pero said:
It's enough to have Miss Sarajevo and him singing Pavarotti's part, it's clear that he's strugling with it.
from what i have heard bono never struggeld with the pavorotti part :|

NO NO NO!!

listen to all the new songs!!!it does not take a jenious to figure out that bono will never be able to sing LEMON every again!!!

now does someone have a time machine?? if so lets go back to ZOOTV baby yehaaaaaaaaaa!!

singing in falsetto is much easier than singing with an open voice. I think almost anyone on this board could sing Lemon, but hardley anyone could sing pride...well...and in the tuning it was recorded in, lol!

shaun vox said:
NO NO NO!!

listen to all the new songs!!!it does not take a jenious to figure out that bono will never be able to sing LEMON every again!!!

now does someone have a time machine?? if so lets go back to ZOOTV baby yehaaaaaaaaaa!!

or a genious for that matter :wink:

innocent_eyes said:
singing in falsetto is much easier than singing with an open voice. I think almost anyone on this board could sing Lemon

uff, you're making it too easy! :wink: i would say almost anyone would sing it with a thin birdie voice maybe, but falsetto is actually a not so simple technique

shaun vox said:
NO NO NO!!

i bet with you he would, he has improved his voice in the live shows. if he would rehearse he would make it, all you need is practice to get something.

Has Bono sung any Falsetto during the entire current tour?

There might be some in BAD and RTSS, but I can't remember if he sung those parts.

u2fp

aussiedge said:
no he couldn't do it...his voice might have improved but he still can't sing that high like he used 2 be able 2. pride is played down one whole step, as opposed to most u2 songs which are down half a step. pride was recorded in standard tuning and has been played down a whole step since Popmart. If his voice was able to sing higher then they would play it up higher.

does any of that make sense? the long and the short of it is, no, his voice couldn't handle it IMO

"Pride" is a horrible example. Even during the UF tour, the song was performed lower than on the album. If Bono sang "Pride" as it appears on the album every night, he'd have no voice left now!

I would say that Bono could hit "Lemon" quite well. I never felt his falsetto was lacking, even in his more challenging years. It might not be quite as rich as it was during the ZOO TV era, but I think it would be about equivalent to the falsetto he had during the JT era.

Umm, I'd love him to be able to sing Lemon again; I really would. But I dont think he can. He used to be able to sing The Unforgettable Fire; then, on the Joshua Tree tour; he couldnt hit the high notes. I was watching the Paris concert and he just couldnt get them. Listening to some boots too; I hear his voice struggling with that song. So, sadly, it seems some notes have gone out of his range.

lady luck said:

I can and do. :drool: :combust: :faint: Except there are only he & I around.... not a stadium with 49,999 other screaming PLEBAns!!! :lol:

U2FanPeter said:
Has Bono sung any Falsetto during the entire current tour?

There might be some in BAD and RTSS, but I can't remember if he sung those parts.

u2fp

Well if you listen to the Twickanham boot, he's not singing the Halleluiah's as high as he did on ZooTV, thus he can hit them without using his falcetto.

There's falcetto in...Bullet. Oh and the whole chorus of SYCMIOYO.

Back
Top Bottom