Is Bono losing his coolness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPrinceNY

War Child
Just a thought, compared to the Bono of past tours like ZootV, Popmart and Elevation, he seems less cool on this tour. Obviously Bono has not found the fontain of youth and is getting older by the day but his whole wardrobe and persona seem less cool.

Look at the last tour, Bono was soooo cool wearing all black leather and his hair being black and long(er). He looked like a true god on stage. Now Bono still looks god, but he definitely has lost some of his cool factor of previous tours.

Honestly, 15 years from now I want to remember the Bono of the Elevation tour and not present day Bono.

Sort of....sometimes he still looks like a rock god, but other times he looks like a short, slightly overweight middle aged man...which he is, of course....

I don't really like his latest hair cut

You are aware, aren't you, of the concept of "aging" and what that does to one's person???? :eyebrow:

:)

Bono would be the first to tell you that he is not cool - he's HOT!

And I would agree with him. :combust:

He's getting hotter though so I'm sure it'll all even out eventually :wink: :reject:

Grrrr...you beat me to it Jamila!!

Would he settle for tepid? :hmm: :D

starvinmarvin said:
Sort of....sometimes he still looks like a rock god, but other times he looks like a short, slightly overweight middle aged man...which he is, of course....

:tsk:

:madspit:

It's good to know that they are some people at Interference who won't beat me over the proverbial head any time I say something "cool" about the B-man.

Thanks guys.:bow:

Sorry, completely disagree. watch the encore of u2 on snl this past november where they go through "i will follow"- best i have ever seen them do on this song and bono was rocking. also, the vertigo video is one of bono's most rocking moments in my mind. finally, bono and his snippets. he sings a little bit of young americans by bowie duirng the quiet middle of mysterious ways in san jose and its so frickin rocking. he's on top of his game.

DPrinceNY said:
Obviously you havent fully read my post, I mentioned the fact that he is getting older

Yes, I did read the entire post - and there's no need to be snippy... we're all on the same side here. :yes:
The question remains, though: you are aware of what aging does to a body, aren't you? If you are, then how can you be disappointed/saddened/shocked/disgusted/whatever by a 45-year-old man who doesn't look like a 30-year-old? They can't all make deals with Satan like Mr. Mullen! :lol:

I think Mullen is finally starting to show his age too. His body looks young, obviously, but his face is starting to age

I think Bono is very cool this tour during zoo station and the fly when he's wearing the police hat and that strange jacket, and during all because of you he was holding a tambourine (??). That's my favourite bono!

They ARE all showing some age. Which is perfectly naturally and actually kind desirable in my book! :combust: Don't get me wrong - I think Bono during the JT & AB years was most of the most delicious pieces of man-flesh you could lay eyes on. :drool: But wouldn't we all find him & the rest of the guys a ridiculous parody of themselves if they'd remained static, stuck forever in a particular era? I think so. It boils down to a simple equation, really: Life = Change + Acceptance = Happiness.

Wow.... how philosophical I am today. :giggle:

I don't think Bono was ever really "cool" during Zoo TV. I think it was all part of the act. So of course his "coolness" is going to disappear.

Personally, I like him better this way. It feels like the real Bono, as much as there is a "real" Bono that we know of. Charismatic, intelligent, slightly dorky, and he has a sense of humor about himself. :wink:

BluRmGrl said:

Yes, I did read the entire post - and there's no need to be snippy... we're all on the same side here. :yes:
The question remains, though: you are aware of what aging does to a body, aren't you? If you are, then how can you be disappointed/saddened/shocked/disgusted/whatever by a 45-year-old man who doesn't look like a 30-year-old? They can't all make deals with Satan like Mr. Mullen! :lol:

Just because he is getting older doesnt mean he has to be getting un-cooler. I am not disappointed or saddened about Bono's present day appearance its still very good, just not as good as before. The last 3 tours Bono managed to still look like a rock god, even though he was obviously getting older. Now there has been a drastic step down in his persona.
If this makes any sense, he looks more human then before. I guess the last 3-4 years have really taken a toll on our Bono moreso then ever, perhaps much in part with the death of his father.

and yes we are all on the same side, Bono's side I hope :)

DPrinceNY said:

I guess the last 3-4 years have really taken a toll on our Bono moreso then ever, perhaps much in part with the death of his father.

That's undoubtedly true. Stress ages people. For example, I'm 29, and until a couple of years ago people assumed I was still in my late teens based on my appearance. But I've had a lot of stressful shit happen over the past 2 years, and now father time is catching up to me. I now look my age, according to other people.

I know it's a corny statement but how about this one:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

..........besides it's what's inside the :heart: that matters the most...........I'm sure Mr. B would agree.

:|

MumblingBono said:
He does like like a huge dork in that red leather jacket with the headband. We'll keep that one off his postal stamp.

agree to that! :lol:

BUT, i like the nicer bono, sometimes he was too cool and arrogant...he wasn't reachable..

but now, hes just a cuddly teddy bear that has a big :heart: and someone who i would gladly do things that are illigial in 97 countries with :D

Jamila said:
Bono would be the first to tell you that he is not cool - he's HOT!

And I would agree with him. :combust:

Tell me about it Jamila!!!:wave: I think all the quys are looking HAWT these days(my Silver FOX aka Adam is :combust: ) I hope I look as well as they do when I am in my mid 40's:drool:

dazzlingamy said:

agree to that! :lol:

BUT, i like the nicer bono, sometimes he was too cool and arrogant...he wasn't reachable..

but now, hes just a cuddly teddy bear that has a big :heart: and someone who i would gladly do things that are illigial in 97 countries with :D

:giggle: :lmao: :lol: You are a hoot Amy!!! I feel the same about Adam:drool:

starvinmarvin said:

haha, yeah, I agree with this post exactly. not that it really matters, but he's no The Fly.
:wink:

Agreed that nothing equals the coolness of The Fly, but as someone pointed out, that was a stage persona. I'm sure Bono could "act" it today, if he wanted to.

Comparing Elevation Bono to this tour from just a coolness perspective, I vote for this tour.

What IS coolness, anyway? :huh: It's sort of undefinable, different things to different people.

Back
Top Bottom