Is Bono hesistant to use his falsetto or losing it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emerging from a giant lemon?

Now THAT was fruity.

Get it? Fruity? Ha ha ... ha.

Yeah. I'll just be over here.

last unicorn said:

Oh my god, what a shock!
They kissed a lot during Elevation tour as well. Yes, on the mouth that is.
Thank God there is still place for affection and tenderness in this world beyond sexuality.
I wish men would generally be able to show more emotion. I'd rather they kiss than beat each other up.
What does all of this have to do with the way someone's singing?I cannot believe what has become of this thread. :huh:

i didnt say it was a shock to me, but read what u2fp said above:

I can't think of any think u2 have done in the 2000s that could even remotely be considered anything other than completely hetero.

i would have to disagree, based on these observations.

"Leaving out band is like leaving the mafia"

Maybe Bono is giving them the "kiss of death" if Edge or Larry ever try to break up the band?

BTW, I did forget that.

U2Kitten said:
If he'd grown his hair back, he'd get his voice back. It happened after Pop, it'll happen again.
This simply cannot be a serious argument.
I don't even want to go down to that level, but a haircut certainly has nothing to do with someone's voice.
Bono had short hair during the very last Vertigo leg and his voice was fantastic. What a stupid analogy.

That page is dangerously close to slashy fanfic. :ohmy:

I don't know that I ever responded to the original question.

I think he's hesitant to use his falsetto because he knows it's not what it used to be. It's inconsistent in live performances, but in the studio he can take the time and get it (see WITS).

But it shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone, or even a negative thing. He's 12 years older than he was on the ZooTV/Zooropa tours. People's voices change with age, with use, with abuse from smokes, booze, whatever. It doesn't mean Bono's a worse singer for it. It just means he has to learn to use his voice differently and adjust his falsetto accordingly.

Singing falsetto and wearing drag/putting on make up makes you gay.

Having longer hair makes you sing better.

:huh:

Do you really believe that or are you trying to do a joke?

I guess Bono and Edge are both gay then, what with their displays of affection on and offstage. And what about those Blender pics where they are all splashing water on each other?

Last edited:
(so......longwinded)

Bono's voice isn't as clear as it was during the early eighties. Smoking and drink added a more breathy rugged sound to his pipes, and the sound was put to good use for the Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum releases.

In other words, his voice matured.

Or, it was whiskey soaked.

By the time Atchung Baby was being recorded, Bono has lost a few inflections and gained others. If the last two albums simplified his singing style slightly, AB offered us his new approach to singing the music.

The falsetto was a great alternate singing style to how Bono normally belted out the tune. The music felt more soulful with it, and he proved he could manage the high octave.

So, if the Falsetto originated in Soul music, and U2 injected Soul into their music, the Falsetto was also brought into the club music of Zooropa.

Over all of this time, Bono learned when and where to use his vocal assets. Pop, for example, was less about the falsetto and belting out lyrics than about finding the message and saying it aloud.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB both present the maturity of Bono's voice. Nowadays, the falsetto and belted lyrical passages are used only when needed, and not used exclusively as a vocal device. I think his voice works better now than previously.

As for comment about the falsetto being somehow "gay", I think it's very important to realize that all singers who do a falsetto seem to be very comfortable with their own sexuality.

I think, if you sing a falsetto, you must be comfortable with your own sexuality. I also think a guy kissing another guy on the lips is only gay if they both get wood. Otherwise, the kiss is an expression of friendship.

His overall voice now is his best since ZooTV and 1995. I don't think he can get his strong falsetto back, but his normal voice can contunie to get stronger. Lets hope he rest his voice for a while now. Earlier this week I watched the COBL from the Vertigo chicago dvd and after that I listend to some versions of the song from the 5th leg, now on the 5th and 4th leg he wasnt as stable and strong as he was on the 1st,2nd and 3rd leg. I have compared a lot of 1st, 2nd and 3rd leg versions to the 5th leg versions of a lot of songs, for example:

COBL, SYCMIOYO, Yaweh, WTSHNN and Vertigo. And his voice is much more stable and more stronger, he hold the notes longer and clearer on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd leg. Sure he did some new thing on the 5th leg, like OTH, a longer "touch" on BD, but if he had tried that on the other previous Vertigo legs he wouldnt have problem any problem with it. But this is natural because of that he has singing many nights and also he had put on weight and had back problems.

But can he revover to the voice he had on 1st, 2nd and 3rd leg? Yes, I think and he can better then that, what says that he can't. He did a real improvement from Elevation tour to Vertigo tour, so what says that he can't be better? If he rest his voice and do some vocal trainings I think he could go one step further :)

Falsettos don't least forever. Specially when someone uses them for a long time like Bono did on the 90's. SO maybe now he has to slow down a bit and not use it as much anymore. As long as he sings well it's fine by me... Though I love a good falsetto:wink:

and just a question... Why does every band need to have a gay rumor nowadays?:eyebrow: It's silly...

I hope you're not taking what you read in this thread to mean that there are gay rumors about them.

Because one guy thinking falsetto equals gay, and U2Man's mom thinking MacPhisto/Bono might be gay does not equal gay rumors.

LOL. this thread is "ghey." bono would love it.

his falsetto works sometimes, not all of the time anymore, and not at all in window in the skies live... eeeeek.

corianderstem said:
I hope you're not taking what you read in this thread to mean that there are gay rumors about them.

Because one guy thinking falsetto equals gay, and U2Man's mom thinking MacPhisto/Bono might be gay does not equal gay rumors.

No... Maybe "rumor" is a strong word... I mean people talking about it.

Why is it when I saw U2fanPeter's location that the first thing I thought of was:

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK!" :dance:

Now what does that say about the people of Vancouver? :D

dazzlingamy said:
I don't think two men kissing on the mouth is gay. I think its hot :drool: and i love it.

speaking on the falsetto...even though Miss Sarejevo isn't a falsetto - it still gave me shivers with its perfectness.

Yes, in the 2nd leg he did, but in some of the 3rd leg shows and most of the shows in the 4th and 5th he used the kermit falsetto in the l'amour part.

Peterrrrr said:

Yes, in the 2nd leg he did, but in some of the 3rd leg shows and most of the shows in the 4th and 5th he used the kermit falsetto in the l'amour part.

The kermit isn't falsetto, it's just regular singing with crappier Kermit technique.

Back
Top Bottom