Is Bono Bragging Really Out of Control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I recently came across an article about Coldplay. I'm quoting an interesting part:
"I think for a long time people felt like we were a band in black-and-white, and now we feel like because we have this incredible job, now we can do whatever we like and try all kinds of new things," Martin said.

He added that the record will include what could be Coldplay's best song yet.

"In order for us to get excited about a new album, we have to have one song that we feel like everybody has to hear ... before we die, otherwise we'll be terribly depressed," Martin said. "So luckily with this new record we're going to make, we have that one song."

"I can't tell you about it, but it's basically genius," he joked.
I post this NOT to start any attacks on Coldplay. Nor do I care how anyone feels about Coldplay.

Rather, I post this to demonstrate that Bono isn't really unique in his comments about U2's forthcoming work.

I also recall Creed's frontman Scott Stapp saying how one of their albums will be their "Joshua Tree". Of course, this was before the band disbanded and before the album turned out to produce only one hit and quietly disappear. ;)

But the point remains. How many times have we heard an artist proclaim their next release to be their "Sgt. Pepper's" or the ones "fans have to hear" or how the group is really soaring or on fire or whatever?

To me, this is all hype. Bono's hyping isn't any different.

I guess, then, the better question is, does Bono really need to hype at all? At this point, let the music speak for itself, eh?

please do not put Chris Martin, Bono, and Scott Stapp in the same sentence...thank you...Scott Stapp sounds like he has a hernia

So men brag? :shocked:

Oh well, it gives people something to talk about on message boards. Then we can have bragging about complaining about Bono's bragging, criticizing others for their lack of concern about Bono's bragging, and so on and so on..

There are lines in the Chris Martin interview that could easily have been spoken by Bono......or by any other band frontman. Yeah, sure, we could say "let the music speak for itself," but in a world where celebrities & rock star are interviewed almost daily, soundbytes are to be expected. No band is going to say anything other than that their next album is one of their best yet.

Still, it seems that a good portion of the vocal members of Interference (outside of PLEBA, I suppose) seem to take pleasure in Bono-bashing as if the traits they criticize are unique only to him. Meh.

Utoo said:
Yeah, sure, we could say "let the music speak for itself," but in a world where celebrities & rock star are interviewed almost daily, soundbytes are to be expected. No band is going to say anything other than that their next album is one of their best yet.

Exactly, especially since so many people try to meet a member of U2 so they can ask them about the new album or the new song....that's all we want to hear about, but then we can't stand hearing about it :scratch:

I think most artists really do think that the stuff they are working on is their best. I'm sure it keeps them going.

Utoo said:
There are lines in the Chris Martin interview that could easily have been spoken by Bono......or by any other band frontman.
Nah, not everyone can make pre-album self-promotion like Bono does. It's only a shame that many try to do equal but they can't.

This is nothing. Chris Martin just say what Bono could or already have said (I'm even sure he's inspired by Bono when saying this). But Bono does it better. He invents phrases as "punk rock on Venus". Now, that is hyping. Chris Martin couldn't say that. He could maybe say, "I'm whining like the wind on Jupiter". But whatever he does, Bono did it first. ;) :wink:

Last edited:
Bono's Betty said:
I think most artists really do think that the stuff they are working on is their best. I'm sure it keeps them going.

Exunctly. :up:

If I was making an album and thought it was mediocre at best, I think I'd probably want to chuck it in and go paint my house or something.

ElectricalVoice said:
He invents phrases as "punk rock on Venus". Now, that is hyping. Chris Martin couldn't say that.

And thank fuck Chris doesn't say it, it's one of the lamest lines Bono's ever come out with. AND I've read a lot of crap over 25 years....

Ah, the Venus line strikes again. :corn:

He's always been hyping up the albums. The truth is that whether you like it or not, everyone in this forum will be keeping their eyes and ears on the Bono-isms for the future albums.

"chopping down Joshua Tree" or "I really believe our music has something special like the Beatles, the Stones or the Who" or my personal favourite "this band will push rock and roll in the future". :yuck:

all artists want to promote their album as much as they can, it gets boring to listen to sometimes but imagine how much they have to talk about it.

and of course they believe it's their best work yet

Bono's just enthusiastic. If he stopped talking the way he does, I'd be worried that something was wrong with him or the current project. Or that the other band members started putting tranquilizers in his food. ;)

I'd love Bono to say: "this.. is not the album we could've done... we could've done better..."

of course, it could only work if the album is fantastic... AB style good... with Mercy or some other great songs

the irony would be too good... and people would want to htear why is bad for them, then be blown away and think "if this is bad, what could be good?"

:drool:

pepokiss said:
I'd love Bono to say: "this.. is not the album we could've done... we could've done better..."

of course, it could only work if the album is fantastic... AB style good... with Mercy or some other great songs

the irony would be too good... and people would want to htear why is bad for them, then be blown away and think "if this is bad, what could be good?"

:drool:

Bono may not have said your words verbatim, but he has come awfully close.

Many people here adore "Pop", but it's well known that U2 do indeed feel they could have done better. They often speak of "Pop" as an "unfinished" or "rushed" album.

Furthermore, Bono also felt that the "sum of its parts was stronger than the whole" for HTDAAB. Usually that cliche is stated in reverse, but what Bono meant was that while there are fantastic tracks on HTDAAB, he didn't feel the album flowed as he had hoped. HTDAAB may not be a JT or AB in many people's minds, but it was a strong-selling and highly awarded album.

In other words, post album release, one will find Bono giving some "negative" feedback. ;)

But even here, I say "let the music speak for itself". When I wrote this in the first post, I meant that at this point in U2's career, hyping an album is a bit silly. U2's albums will sell. In the illegal download era, U2's last two studio albums still sold over 7.3 M copies to U.S. consumers. Not many artists can make this claim. Heck, an unnecessary Greatest Hits package is even selling well and will most likely be certified as Platinum soon! My point is, U2 will sell. Super-hype isn't needed any more, whether it's positive or negative. :)

Back
Top Bottom