Is Bono A Genius? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:33 AM
Is Bono A Genius?

Whenever I read any magazine or newspaper articles about John Lennon or Bob Dylan or David Bowie, the word genius always crops up at some point, and quite right too, these men shaped music and if they're not deserving of such an accolade then who is?

But when I read any articles about Bono the word rarely if ever appears. I wonder why? After all he's written some of the most
popular songs of the last 20 years, Streets, With or Without You, UTEOTW, Beautiful Day, Vertigo and especially One, moments of genius certainly occur in these songs, but I'm not sure he's considered one by the music industry or the public at large. I could be wrong however.

He's not put in that tortured genius bracket along with Lennon or Bowie or even Cobain, despite the fact that Bono's an extremely complex and intelligent man. So what do you think will he be remembered as a genius or simply very talented?

Old 07-21-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:33 AM
I think the term "genius" should not apply to any entertainer, only for people who make a life changing contribution to the betterment of mankind.
Anyhoo............of the ones you mention, they are solo artists. I have never heard Paul MacArtney being lablled a genius yet he contributed more over time than Lennon and both did their most significant work as The Beatles.
I somehow think the term genius seems to be reserved for Solo artists. Bono is only as good as the people around him, more so than probably any act ever. U2 could only have happened with the 4 that got involved.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
War Child

Oh the word 'genius' is definitely bandied around too often gman and should only really be reserved for people who like you said have made life changing contributions, but I certainly think that Lennon and Dylan certainly had/have some kind of musical genius, and I'm pretty sure McCartney is considered to be one, I have heard people refer to him as one. Its just that when all is said and done will Bono be up there with the Lennon's and Bowies of the world who are deemed to be genuine musical innovators or will he just fall short.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:33 PM
If any member of U2 even remotely deserves the title of "genius", it's The Edge, not Bono. I don't see what Bono has done to warrant being called a "genius" in any kind of musical context.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I honestly don't think the term "genius" should be used on any of the artists named above.

Mozart and Leonardo Da Vinci, Shakespeare and Einstein - yes, but none of today's musicians, solo artists or not.

And I don't think it's important. Everyone can have a little bit of a genius in themselves when it comes to certain areas of life, and then again be not so talented in other areas.

The term genius is something that we use too carelessly.

And as for Bono, IF anyone should refer to him as a "genius", it wouldn't be based on his musical talents alone, more on his overall activities, maybe even more on his political work, his smartness, creativity and persistence, when it comes to his campaigning.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
War Child

You're defintely right about Mozart and Leonardo Da Vinci, Shakespeare and Einstein Last Unicorn, these are bonafide geniuses, but I think the names I mentioned deserve a mention too, after all what they did during they're own time still has ramifications today, they have helped invent original and unique music which had never been heard before and that has influenced so many people since. The word genius is used all to freely but I think people like Lennon and McCartney are worthy of it, they've had such an impact on us, I'm just asking if Bono will be rememberd as being on par with them.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
If any member of U2 even remotely deserves the title of "genius", it's The Edge, not Bono. I don't see what Bono has done to warrant being called a "genius" in any kind of musical context.
genius.....
now , if we talking about Sting , Summers , Copeland
or about the Doors or Soft Machine
or Genesis
or Outkast
or Radiohead ...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DevilsShoes
Its just that when all is said and done will Bono be up there with the Lennon's and Bowies of the world who are deemed to be genuine musical innovators or will he just fall short.
Bono will be rembered as a very talented writer and a great humanitarian, but not as a genius, i dont think lennon, bowie or mcartney are that innovative either though, try Hendrix, or The Who, Pink Floyd and as Axver said The Edge,
Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:33 AM
I think he is a genius for the work, ideas and campaigning he has done for Africa.

His writing and speeches he has given are unbelievable so if that doesn't put him on genius level I don't know what would.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Are you talking relatively here? If so I guess you could call anyone a genius. I highly doubt Bono is a genius from an objective view though. I don't think his IQ is high enough.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

He is certainly verbally gifted (and sometimes verbally challenged).
Old 07-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I agree. Edge has very much defined his own style. There's a sort of precision and perfectionism that you don't find with many guitarists today. While some criticize his lack of spontaneity onstage, but I admire his attention to detail when putting together his sound in the studio and doing what he can to recreate it in performance. I also think he's the band member close enough to being a genius by the conventional definition. He'd planned to study engineering if U2 didn't take off, and that's certainly not child's play.

Bono is an excellent songwriter at times, and he's got that charisma that's given him success both as a musician and a humanitarian. I wouldn't say he's a genius, but maybe he's doing something better now than many geniuses ever manage to achieve. Time will tell, I guess.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gman
I think the term "genius" should not apply to any entertainer, only for people who make a life changing contribution to the betterment of mankind.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you, definetly there are geniuses in arts too
Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Local Time: 01:33 AM
Bono definitely has moments of inspiried genius when he writes.
His poetry can easily find it's way to that realm on occasion IMO.
I wish those occasions were all the time Don't all artists/writers feel this way?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I agree that Edge is the person in the band who would be closest to being called a "genius" when it comes to music.

Bono has more overall competence in many different fields.
I don't know if the IQ is really an indicator for that.
Someone can have a high IQ and would be considered a genius but isn't able to transfer his intellectual abilities into real life.

I am sure that there were many people in history who would have been considered genius, but who never managed to do something that would have been remembered by the world for many years after.

On the other hand, someone can not be very telented or intelligent in an "objective" view but can be a "marketing genius" or whatever you may call it and have success and impact nevertheless.

What we might call "genius" is, in my humble opinion, a combination of many factors, strongly influenced by one's personality and circumstances of one's life.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Are you talking relatively here? If so I guess you could call anyone a genius. I highly doubt Bono is a genius from an objective view though. I don't think his IQ is high enough.
I think your mistaken.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #17
Val
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I would add Andrew Lloyd Weber to the genius list.

Bono has certainly had his moments of genius.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 07-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I wonder what his I.Q. is?

IMO he is a genius and Edge too, although alot of times Bono seems like an absent minded professor.

One definition of genius from Dictionary.net:

Distinguished mental superiority; uncommon intellectual power; especially, superior power of invention or origination of any kind, or of forming new combinations; as, a man of genius.

Usage: Genius implies high and peculiar gifts of nature, impelling the mind to certain favorite kinds of mental effort, and producing new combinations of ideas, imagery, etc. Talent supposes general strength of intellect, with a peculiar aptitude for being molded and directed to specific employments and valuable ends and purposes. Genius is connected more or less with the exercise of imagination, and reaches its ends by a kind of intuitive power. Talent depends more on high mental training, and a perfect command of all the faculties, memory, judgment, sagacity, etc. Hence we speak of a genius for poetry, painting. etc., and a talent for business or diplomacy. Among English orators, Lord Chatham was distinguished for his genius; William Pitt for his pre["e]minent talents, and especially his unrivaled talent for debate.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
War Child

lyrically, melodically, bono is a genius.