Is Bono a Fatalist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooroper

The Fly
Sometimes, when i listen to the lyrics...looks like Bono has a certain beleif in destiny.

That can be especially noticed on AB, POP and Hut Dab.

Why does he feel this way, if he is so eager to change the world???

He thinks he is destined to be the second coming of Christ or the next US President.

Cheers,

J

Ok children, enough for the fooling around about Bono's destiny ambitions. Let's go back to the original post.

It is a very interesting observation to see Bono as a fatalist. It goes beyond those albums. In one of the earliest interviews before Boy, Bono told Rolling Stone that U2 had a certain chemisty that made them destined to become like the Stones, or the Who or the Beatles (not sure if I got this exactly right).

The song One was a product of a spontaneous jamming session when band tension was at an all-time high - and they got this song together and it became one of their greatest ever and teh heart of Achtung Baby. Destiny perhaps?

U2 won a band contest in their beginnings by playing two Ramones songs and passing it off as their own. Joey Ramone died while listening to a U2 song. Fate perhaps?

The band (except for odd-man-out Clayton) are all Christians. And the Christian belief has a lot of fate and destiny in it, in the form of fulfilled prophecies. There is the book of Isiah in the Old Testament that foretells the coming of Jesus. Then Jesus arrives in the New Testament. Then Jesus predicts his third coming as the end of the world. Also, he preaches that our ultimate destiny is to be back to the Kingdom.

While I never thought of it before, now that you brought it out, it gave me something to think about. And I have come to the realization that Bono is indeed a fatalist. Thank you so much for your enlightening observation. I really agree with you on this one.

Cheers,

J

Thanks for looking into it Jick! I tought everyone will think it's a stoopid topic to talk about, but I like to take a lot of views on certain things...even so, artists that i like. Or have liked.

jick said:
Ok children, enough for the fooling around about Bono's destiny ambitions. Let's go back to the original post.

It is a very interesting observation to see Bono as a fatalist. It goes beyond those albums. In one of the earliest interviews before Boy, Bono told Rolling Stone that U2 had a certain chemisty that made them destined to become like the Stones, or the Who or the Beatles (not sure if I got this exactly right).

The song One was a product of a spontaneous jamming session when band tension was at an all-time high - and they got this song together and it became one of their greatest ever and teh heart of Achtung Baby. Destiny perhaps?

U2 won a band contest in their beginnings by playing two Ramones songs and passing it off as their own. Joey Ramone died while listening to a U2 song. Fate perhaps?

The band (except for odd-man-out Clayton) are all Christians. And the Christian belief has a lot of fate and destiny in it, in the form of fulfilled prophecies. There is the book of Isiah in the Old Testament that foretells the coming of Jesus. Then Jesus arrives in the New Testament. Then Jesus predicts his third coming as the end of the world. Also, he preaches that our ultimate destiny is to be back to the Kingdom.

While I never thought of it before, now that you brought it out, it gave me something to think about. And I have come to the realization that Bono is indeed a fatalist. Thank you so much for your enlightening observation. I really agree with you on this one.

Cheers,

J

I dunno, somewhat recent comments, plus some older ones from Adam would lead me to believe otherwise, as far being the odd-man-out for that anymore.

I don't think Bono's a fatalist, but perhaps feels there are some things that were meant to happen, ie. prophecies of Jesus.

I believe you have an error. My understanding is that U2 didn't win a band contest passing off Ramone's songs as their own. They did the latter, but only to impress a record exec. However, they didn't play Ramone's songs in the actual contest that they won.

I'm not sure if Bono is a fatalist, per se, but it is possible he believes in an interconnection (i.e., everyone and everything is ultimately connected). This is a belief many share and, IMO, a more logical one. But then, faith isn't based on logic, so...

A fatalist is someone who believes that all events are pre-determined and unalterable, unchangeable.
I would say that Bono is the opposite of this. He is very determined to make changes, both within himself and in the world at large. A fatalist wouldn't bother, as it would be viewed as impossible to alter what's bound to happen.

zooroper said:
And btw...have "Barbie's Cradle" released a new album lately? :)

I am not a fan. The singer is a sister of my classmate. I generally don't listen to local artists because none of them come close to U2.

Cheers,

J

biff said:
A fatalist is someone who believes that all events are pre-determined and unalterable, unchangeable.
I would say that Bono is the opposite of this. He is very determined to make changes, both within himself and in the world at large. A fatalist wouldn't bother, as it would be viewed as impossible to alter what's bound to happen.

If that is your definition of fatalist then perhaps Bono isn't strictly one. But he is the type who believes there is a reason for everything and some things are meant to be. His lyrics seem to say so, and so do his beliefs.

Cheers,

J

Originally posted by Jick

I am not a fan. The singer is a sister of my classmate.

Really?!? I used to write enormous e-mails with her...crazy woman!

If you see her, tell her that velvetE sends greetings.....i lost her e-mail. :( :( :(

Interesting thought, but Bono isn't a fatalist as far as his actions are concerned. Otherwise why would he bother, fighting for Africa., etc.
After all that's the way it's suppose to be, right???

If you want to consider "Arnold" then you have to wonder if the USA wants to suspend the constitutional belief that you should be born here to and let an non-national run for President, then Bono could also run for :hmm:

jick said:

If that is your definition of fatalist then perhaps Bono isn't strictly one.

Cheers,

J

That is not my defintion of fatalist, it is in fact the definition of that word. So no, he isn't even "perhaps" or even "strictly" one.

"But he is the type who believes there is a reason for everything and some things are meant to be. His lyrics seem to say so, and so do his beliefs."

His lyrics "seem" to say so? Where?
"And so do his beliefs"? Really, you are privy to those, are you?

You're on very weak ground here, Jick. (I'm shocked, actually!

:wink: )

zooroper said:
I think he can't be the US Presidnet. He's not born inside the US.

Bad luck.

That will change before the end of his life -- he'd have to be a US citizen, though, and I don't think that he is.

Could be wrong?

starsgoblue said:

Well, taking personal action and fatalism don't nessacarilly have to be separated...

I don't understand?? Because a fatalist believes that fate controls everyting and it can't be changed.
So therefore don't do anything..?

Bono, by his actions, does not subscribe to this theroy.. it seems.
It is imperative to him to enact change.

Why else would he continue???
Just asking you're opinion - stars, no offense .. :wink:

beau2ifulday said:

‘"..the thing that’s noxious about celebrity is that it upends God’s order of things. The real romantic figures surely, should be nurses, firemen, mothers, aid workers...these are literally heroic people. People who run back into burning houses and pull out babies. In God's mind, they are at the top. The idea that a bunch of spoilt-rotten,self-indulgent artistes-and I include myself-who are overpaid, over-nourished and over-exposed most of the time...that we're more important than them, it's upside-down."--Adam NME 2004

"Clayton, who alone has not announced formally for Christianity, says simply that for journalists 'religion was an easy angle, a hook to hang a story on. We all believe in much the same things but don't express ourselves in the same way.' This, along with Clayton's inborn rebellious instincts and up-tempo temperament, caused some intramural tension that has only lately been resolved. 'I was in the wilderness for a few years, so there was a natural antagonism within the band that people picked up on. Now the spirituality contained within the band is equal to all the members.' Clayton"--Time magazine (the one with U2 on the cove from the 80's).

:shrug:

We have misintrepreted fatalism here. Fatalism in it's strictist sense is more like this: If you go to school or don't go to school if it is your fate to be a doctor you will end up as a doctor. The route you take isn't so important as the destination. Another example is love. If i were a fatalist I would believe that no matter what country i travel to, what college I attend, what career i pick, I will meet the woman i am destined to be with. In fact, I could just lay here in bed all the time, and the girl of my destiny and I would still get together.

Back
Top Bottom