Is Anyone Else Tired of the Nationalism in Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Talking about the terrorist attacks is fine. But I'm tired of these random topics in here that talk about the U.S. kicking the shit out of it's enemies, usually with rhetoric so thick that you could drown Henry Rollins in it! What's the point of all this anyway?! We well know that the U.S. is going to take action, but why do we have to be constantly reminded of it? And why does it have to be done in the most arrogant of fashions?

Do everyone a favor. This is a U2 forum. Keep your nationalist fervor to yourself, and if you wish to contribute to intellectual discussions of the bombing--pro-war and anti-war alike--it's best in "Free Your Mind." The nationalism was natural in the shock of the attack, but now it's just a little old.

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

melon-

i understand what you are saying but if you look at the first page of this forum you will notice that 30 or so threads have nothing to do with the attacks. have a good one!

- dancing bearfoot

You're right. I just felt like having a tantrum. Hehe...

But I am tired of it...
wink.gif

Melon

------------------

Well get used to it... this is a general information forum... if you want to talk about something more specific maybe YOU should go to one of the other forums. People are using this forum as a type of therapy... getting their grief out, their anger out... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

well said melon, I'm really tired of it too...
of all places, I would have thought this place would be more openminded than others, guess I was wrong.

and headache, it says General forum for talking about U2, not stuff in general.

If I used this forum to vent everything I'm angry about, you'd all hate me.

Learn restraint. And yes, this is a forum about U2 stuff in general.

Melon

------------------

Hail,hail.I'm especially sick of seeing that Patton signature.It is so jingoistic,it makes me want to laugh with ridicule and cry with frustration at the same time.

[This message has been edited by tomtom (edited 09-17-2001).]

www.cheese.com

for all your cheese needs.

and yes, I'm a little fed up with a lot of the talk going on here, i'm also not surprised its going on. in abotu a week people will realize they're just regurgitating the same stuff over and over again.

Melon,
It would be interesting to hear what you would be saying if you had a loved one in one of those buildings. I am not sick of hearing about us striking back. Quite frankly, I think it's great to finally see the MTV generation pull together on something and care about something that is really "real." The people that destroyed the World Trade Centers are not people at all, they are cockroaches and must be exterminated. They don't understand reason, logic or humainty. They understand death. If we don't strike back now and eliminate these rougues, then what building will be next? Perhaps it will be a little closer to home for you and then you won't care that people are talking about it. There is a time for peace and time for war. Unfortunately, this is a time for war and if we don't act now we will experience dejuv us (sp?) in the near future.

wolfwill,

There is "Free Your Mind" for war and vengeance talk. This is the general U2 forum. People who actually care to talk about war and vengeance will find their way there.

I'm not opposed to your talking about it. Just go to the appropriate place, okay?

Melon

------------------

I understand what you are saying, but this is the most popular forum on the site. I think that's why many people are posting those kinds of thoughts here. Also, have you ever posted anything about mp3's or tour info in this forum? I know I have. If the people want to talk, let them talk.

1 post on mp3s here and there is okay. 100 posts on war, ranging from sympathies (which I'm okay with) to warmongering and propaganda (which I can't stand), is excessive.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by melon:
1 post on mp3s here and there is okay. 100 posts on war, ranging from sympathies (which I'm okay with) to warmongering and propaganda (which I can't stand), is excessive.

Melon

Nothing like this has ever happened to America. Their are certain moments in life where you have to drop everything and let your feelings out. This is one of those times. Even MTV cancelled all their programming last week. I think out of respect for people who are hurt over this(myself included), we should be able to share our thoughts. This forum has helped me get through the past week.

------------------
"Look what you did you little JERK!"

"Kevin! You're such a disease!"

"Keep the change you filthy animal!"

Some people here can't stand it when other express their loyalty to certain idea's, people, or a country. I understand the use of forums and how it was before tuesday. But why be in a rush after what happened to gag or shut someone up or segregate their views to a certain area. This is still on many peoples minds and I didn't see anyone on tuesday saying "Please go to the free your mind forum". So if someone wants to speak their mind, I say go ahead. Its only being American.

I'm afraid of Americans
I'm afraid of the world
I'm afraid I can't help it
I'm afraid I can't help it

-- David Bowie, "I'm Afraid of Americans"

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

100 posts on war, ranging from sympathies (which I'm okay with) to warmongering and propaganda (which I can't stand), is excessive.

Melon

Er,Melon Esquire-Hope you didn't view my WTC Tower thread as needless 'propaganda'...

Hope not anyway...Late...

Diamond
Bruno
Numerial
Nine

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

If people want to hold on to their flag right now, why not let them?

Just remember one thing...not all U.S. wars were waged for the wrong reasons. Stopping madmen from killing is NOT wrong.

I agree, melon, these patriotic thoughts should be in Free Your Mind. I certainly posted there.
smile.gif

AJ

Glad that you posted this topic, Melon.
If i did it i would be attacked because
i do not understand it as Dutchman.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

[This message has been edited by Rono (edited 09-17-2001).]

I don't know about the people in this forum, but most people I've been talking to in "real life" are kinda sick of always seeing the american flag everywhere since a week and are also pretty sick of hearing the US saying it will go at war. For your information, I've been talking to a lot of students in my philosophy and spanish classes, to a lot of people of my old school and to people I don't even really know at my work (they are mostly lawers and secretaries... I'm a messenger).

Most newspaper's editorials here are sick of the war possibility and "future fact" of it, people here don't mind about the markets and the US showing that "we won't fade away, nah na na na na naaaaaa".

you'll say, rather "well fuck off man" or "who cares about your country and people's thoughts on it" ? Well, Bush wants NATO going into war and he'll get some countries with him, we will probably be implicated in this war that most of us don't want.....

Don't take it mad, what I said, cos you will put us in a position we don'T want to get into, despite our government's position.

cheers

------------------
La resignacion es un suicido permanente

Back
Top Bottom