Is anyone else annoyed by Bono's overblown ego?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unosdostres14 said:
Yeah....I am sick of Bono's huge ego. How can he jokingly call himself the 'little lord jesus'....why can't he have more class and be like the Beatles.

(who proclaimed themselves as bigger than Jesus :lol:)

Or even Noel Gallagher... who pulled EXACTLY the same stunt in 1997. I can't believe the press fell for that a second time!

Well, I have a whole lot of "shoegazer' bands here if you want front men with no ego: Slowdive, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse etc etc. Oh sorry, what was that? Who are they? Never heard of them? Well, seems that frontmen (or women), stage presence and fame seem to go together.....:rolleyes:

Seems some people need to study the words irony and sarcasm in teh dictionary and not take everything at face value...:wink:

He has an ego. But it's often sarcasm ... and quite funny. I like it like that. People should consider the way he is in real life. How many superstars are like Bono? Talking to fans almost everyday. Let them take pictures, signing autographs and all that stuff. Bono on stage and Bono in real life is not the same. He takes care of his fans, spend much time on them. If Bono had an unhealthy ego, we would not hear about all these fan-Bono-stories.
And it surprises me that people are still not taking the irony after zoo and popmart.

shart1780 said:
I've casually mentioned U2 to plenty of people only to hear them say "I don't really like Bono/Isn't Bono that guy with a huge ego?".

People notice it, he's known for it.

First off, as pointed out, not everyone notices it. My family has never said anything about him having an ego-they all think he seems like a pretty cool guy, who occasionally does rather bizarre things (bizarre in a good way) :p.

Second, yeah, I've heard people say that before. And seeing as they aren't fans of his music, they wouldn't know of the countless quotes in which he's poked some fun at himself and in which he's shown his self-conciousness. It'd be nice if they got to learn a little more about him before jumping to conclusions-not saying they have to become fans or anything, but not just go by the two seconds worth of what they see of him on TV-but then again, I suppose I'm guilty of the same thing with a few celebrities, so... Regardless, they're entitled to think whatever the hell they want about him. I'll just personally disagree, is all.

Third, yeah, Bono's egotistical on stage...so is pretty much every single frontman of a band. So is anyone who's in the theater/TV/movie business, or anyone who's a comedian. They want you to walk away from their show thinking that they're the best thing you've ever seen. They want you to notice them-if they didn't, they wouldn't be up on stage to begin with. So I expect celebrities to be egotistical when they're on stage, I expect Bono to do everything in his power to grab our attention. It only becomes annoying to me if they act like that 24/7 offstage. And since Bono has definitely shown his more humble side offstage (and sometimes even onstage, too), I therefore don't find him annoying, as I know his ego isn't with him every single second of every single day.

Angela

Originally posted by Saracene
I reckon people in his life wouldn't stay around him for 15-20 years if he was as unbearable as some people think he is.

Well funny you should mention that.....
Bono's wife used to kick him out of their house, after he returned home from touring..... only because he was still "wound-up" and
had not "come down" yet. His wife always has him stay in a hotel for a week or so, after a tour, so he can get back "down to earth" before joining his family. His wife has also commented that their children would be upset too, if they would talk to their daddy and he wouldn't hear them.... And as long as I can remember .... Bono still follows this policy after a tour, which is a "good" thing to do, to get the "rowdy" attitude out of your system ... and return to a normal "domestic" lifestyle when with family members... This is why I believe his family is so-ooo strong and stable. His wife really worked hard keeping the family lives
private and out of the spotlight, and this explains why the family isn't "brain-washed" because of their daddy's success ..... Also, Bono definitely keeps sane, because of his wife, and I don't think he would ever have an "insane" or "stuck-up" snob ego, because she wouldn't allow that to happen, either ....... :applaud:

I think a lot of the "Bono has a big ego" talk is very often connected with the "I hate U2" talk on forums outside of this one. I have seen a lot more negative comments on his AIDS/Africa work than his acting on stage.

That said, most of rock's most famous frontmen have egos - the whole business is based on adoration.
And with that said, I think Bono on stage is different from everyday Bono IMO. A bit like acting if you will, putting on a show and having a persona.
Reading or watching interviews with Bono would give you a better picture oh his personality.

shart1780 said:
I'm just saying, everyone notices it.

I've casually mentioned U2 to plenty of people only to hear them say "I don't really like Bono/Isn't Bono that guy with a huge ego?".

People notice it, he's known for it.

Well we love him for it - and that's why we're here - and they obviously don't know much about him...and I agree that the swagger often covers his endearingly human insecurities.

I :heart: :bono:

shart1780 said:
I love you Bono, but come on. This guy has a huge ego, and it's definitely not an attractive trait. He constantly calls himself cute little nick names, supposedly joking, but probably partioally serious too (little Jesus).

Just watch him on stage, he acts like he's God's gift to humanity. Watch the Superbowl performance for an obvious example. It really gets on my nerves and kind of sickens me. What's even worse is his fans. Why must you scream and faint when Bono notices you're alive? You're just contributing to his overbloated ego.

Bono, you're a cool guy and all, but you're no little Jesus. Also, please stop acting like you're hot stuff on stage.

agree

I love Bonos ego, he's a sarcastic git and because of that I think he's even greater:wink:

Because Bono is egotistical on stage doesn't meant that he is like this off stage. I remember an itnerview with freddie Mercury (queen) once saying that 'im arrogant on stage, its how i like to be when delivering a show' but that as soon as he got off stage he restorted to being 'a normal human being' it is quite possible that the same feelings are applicable to mr. hewson

you need to have some ego to succeed... if you think you're a poor mofo that can't do a fuck about nothing you won't go anywhere, it applies in every aspect of life but specially when we are talking about artists and famous people. and I think that people who has to be in a stage to make a living gotta have (and project) a lot of selfconfidence and make their fans believe that they are admiring someone who worths it.

Just to reiterate what many of us have said a million times:

BONO.IS.A.FRONTMAN.

A musician, an entertainer, an activist, a poet. And although it does grate when he bangs on about being a 'rawk star' - he is.

His basic job desription, in terms of live performance is to use his talent, intellect and charisma to put on a show. It is both art and entertainment.

So you would rather see a boring show with no entertainment value? Fronted by a person who doesn't give a damn about the audience, who does not throw everything they have into giving the best prformance they can?

No thanks.

Last edited:
Something else that just popped into my head-can anybody here safely say that they've never had a moment where they got a bit of an ego when they did something that everyone's praising them for, and they start thinking they're pretty cool stuff as a result, or something else along that line? If the answer is no, then who are we to criticize someone else for having moments like that?

Angela

I love Bono, warts and all! He's an inspiration and has earned the right to strut, to say pompous throw-away statements, and to raise his arms out to his following.

If Bono was a drug taking, womanizing bastard then he'd just be a rock star, however he has chosen a brighter path in life. Sure he appears to be, and maybe even tries to be larger than life on stage, but offstage he's as humble and human as you or I.

martha said:
:sigh:

Sometimes I kinda wish for the womanizing part, 'cos then I'd have chance.....

I knew someone would lower the tone! :wink:

(I agree with you Martha, but shh!! Secret!)

:)

Ego=pride=self respect . Who would pay to see a lead singer without any ego, pride or self respect?

Ego can be a good thing and it can be a negative thing. Essentially too much pride leads to vanity and too much self respect leads to delusional thinking.
Bono is neither delusional nor arrogant.

He is an artist and an entertainer who has, over the years, become idolized. That is the dangerous thing here; not his ego.

As an idol, his behavior is subject to intense scrutiny by two opposing types of people/forces. Everything that he says or does, on or off the stage, takes on a significance larger than life. That is where the distortion comes into play. It's the public's perception that is distorted not the idols sense of self (i.e., his ego.)

The far-removed public has a distorted perception of the man. We see an illusion of an idolize human-being; not the man himself. What the public preceives, from a distance, can never really represent what the man acutally is primarily because we are at a distance and because we all wear masks.

He gives the fans their money's worth and that's all it should be about.

I, for one, do not mind any part of Bono having a big ego. I totally agree with the fact that he has the right to do so and has earned this right. Plus.. he looks mighty fine when he does

Good point, Reggie, about Bono having earned the right to act the way he does. People thought Muhammed Ali was arrogant at times, too, what with him calling himself the greatest and everything...but hey, he proved it, didn't he? Well, Bono's the same way.

martha said:
:sigh:

Sometimes I kinda wish for the womanizing part, 'cos then I'd have chance.....

LOL :D. Something tells me you're not the only one who's thought that from time to time ;).

Angela

Sometimes bono is pretty arrogant, yet sometimes he's humble. It's just the more annoying things that get more media (such as claiming that God walks through the room when you're making an album...ect)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom