Irving Plaza Live Dvd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since when does this exist? Have I missed something? Have I hit something?

I wasn't aware that anything more than an MP3 existed of the concert. It's a great show, and it has one of Bono's best ever vocal moments, but a DVD? I don't think so.

Apparently the show was filmed with 2 pro cameras. Don't count on it getting out anytime soon, it isn't in any trading circles yet. It would definately be the coolest recent U2 show to see!

I was at the Irving Plaza show and I know it was videotaped. I have no idea if it will ever be released. I hope it does get released, though, because it looked as good as it sounded.

AJ

I have the show on VCD, a high quality single camera shot from a couple rows from the stage on Adam's side. It's a great show, definitely better than most of the video bootlegs floating around out there. Haven't seen anything about a DVD though.

BB

Its definately out there in many formats.

Pre FM audio (the best one audio wise)
FM audio
SHN
mp3
VHS (one cam mix)
VCD (one cam mix)
DVDR (one cam mix)
DVDR (multi cam mix)

A semi pro bootlegger was trying to sell the multi cam mix here on Interference and didnt get enough offers so he revoked his offer. The multi cam will surface eventually though. The single cam is still excellent though and satisfies me anyway.

**by the way, this same bootlegger has a multi cam audience version of the Miami Bruce show is trying to sell on the Bruce boards. His user name always starts with Who68 or something like that. Not sure if he would rip anyone off (have never heard that he has) but dont think he is a fan or a 1 for 1 trader.

**by the way, this same bootlegger has a multi cam audience version of the Miami Bruce show is trying to sell on the Bruce boards. His user name always starts with Who68 or something like that. Not sure if he would rip anyone off (have never heard that he has) but dont think he is a fan or a 1 for 1 trader. [/B]

He's a good guy. I believe he only sells, but the stuff he has is always very rare.... My guess is that he has some great connections, and if enough people put in orders for something he can deliver the goods. Unfortunately it looks like the Irving Plaza dvd didn't pan out. It will eventually get out I'm sure.

He may be reliable, and if you want to buy from him thats fine. But he is a bootlegger who is selling for profit. These are the kind of people that U2 and many other artists have major problems with.

I dont have a problem with selling when it is merely to cover your costs (ie equipment, blanks, postage). But to profit financially from another persons work is not only VERY illegal, it is just wrong. Bono himself said he doesnt mind the 1 for 1 trading and taping. But he indicated if anyone is selling their stuff he is going to hunt them down (or something along those lines). I think that is a good indication that U2 are against this sort of thing. If you cant do 1 for 1 trading with it or sell it to cover costs only, keep it under wraps then. There is enough stuff out there to satisfy most people.

Oh, and the DVD of Irving Plaza One cam mix is out there. It is great. But I got it just trading 1 for 1, as it should be (well, actually I traded 2 CDR shows for the 1 DVDR as I dont have a DVDR burner).

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
He may be reliable, and if you want to buy from him thats fine. But he is a bootlegger who is selling for profit.

He doesn't always do things for profit though Blue Room. He read my account of the Providence concert on U2tours.com and my plea for documentation of the concert and e-mailed me. Then he sent me a copy of the concert at no charge. I only know of a few photographs taken as our seats were a good distance behind the stage and the a lot of the fans in front didn't even see what was going on. The only photos I have of my daughter from the concert were taken from video stills of the tape he sent me. I have to tell you that I am very grateful that he took the time to contact me and send me that tape!

I agree Blue Room. I enjoy trading, and would NEVER sell. But if there is something that is unavailable elsewhere, and the individual will only sell it then I will pay. The seller may be morrally corupt, but the buyer is just a desperate U2 fan.
:sad:

BostonAnne said:

He doesn't always do things for profit though Blue Room. He read my account of the Providence concert on U2tours.com and my plea for documentation of the concert and e-mailed me. Then he sent me a copy of the concert at no charge. I only know of a few photographs taken as our seats were a good distance behind the stage and the a lot of the fans in front didn't even see what was going on. The only photos I have of my daughter from the concert were taken from video stills of the tape he sent me. I have to tell you that I am very grateful that he took the time to contact me and send me that tape!

Thats nice that he did that. I never said this guy would rip anyone off by not sending what was ordered. But that is not my point. The point is that he DOES sell for profit and he does it often. Its one of the major reasons he was banned from this board. Like I said before, if it was just to cover costs, thats different. But $30 for a single DVDR is making a major profit. THAT is what I have a problem with.

Hey, I understand that people want this stuff and will do anything (ie pay just about anything) to get it. But that doesnt make it right. In fact, it encourages more of this type of stuff. If people were not willing to pay inflated prices for CDR and DVDR copies the bootleggers wouldnt be selling them. There is enough stuff out there being traded and enough people willing to do B and Ps for those that are just starting where none of this is necessary.

Last edited:
You guys should take it easy on filmers and people who sell their shows/DVD's and need to realize a couple things:

1) Someone who has spent hundreds of dollars and travelled hundreds of miles to film a show is not going to simply do B&P's for everyone who wants a DVD of the show. Why is someone going to film a show if they are only going to lose hundreds of dollars?

2) Most U2 shows are not filmed by hardcore U2 fans; they're filmed by filmers who do dozens and dozens of bands. If you had a U2 fan just go to a show with a camcorder with the goal of sharing the video to everyone, it would be shaky, imcomplete and with tons of obstructions-- not even worth watching. You should see how good some of the U2/Springsteen films are that are out there.

3) Digital camcorders, DVD recorders, etc. cost a LOT of money. When filmers charge for shows, they see very little profit and a lot of the money goes towards paying back huge fixed costs and variable costs.

4) No proshot videos would surface if it weren't for people laying down thousands of dollars for original copies... why should the person who just paid be inclined to give that copy away for free to everyone? You have no idea how rare of an opportunity it is that someone is nice enough to offer a pro DVD (in perfect digital quality) to the public.

5) I could go on and on... but bottom line, filmers with perfect digital copies and masters of shows are often reluctant to trade for CDR's that everyone has and reluctant to simply open up and give their shows away for free. Often the only adequate "trade" from a collector with only CD's of shows is money. Not many have DV/DVD's to trade.

6) If you don't agree with how it works, YOU go out and buy a $1000 digital video camera, a $1000 DVD recorder, spend $100 on a ticket, drive 400 miles roundtrip to a show, film a perfect show and see if you want to trade a DVD of the show for "Rock's Hottest Ticket" CDR...? It just doesn't work that way.

So... chill out on bashing people for selling stuff and wanting to only trade for comparable stuff. Remember, if it wasn't for filmers and people selling, you would have nothing but a couple crappy VHS tapes to watch! You should be thanking filmers.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/elevate02/u2dvd.html

U2 Please, looks almost like the exact same post you put on Stone Pony! LOL

So why does a filmer go to groups they dont care for or are not big fans of?? Hmm, so they can sell it. I understand that equipment is expensive. But you only buy it once. So if you are doing as many shows as you indicate it shouldnt take long to make back your money for your expenses. As I have said ad nauseum, charging to cover expenses is ok. But charging to profit is wrong. You seem to ignore that everytime. I guess because it shoots a hole in your view point. I also dont know where you are coming up with people expect filmers to just do B and Ps? I personally have never said that should be done. I wouldnt want to give it away either. But there are other tapers and filmers out there that have similiar stuff to trade. If not, well then just enjoy it yourself if you can "ONLY" sell it so you profit from it.

I have some expensive equipment also (recording wise). I bought it because I wanted to be able to record for me, not to sell anything. Thats why your argument just doesnt wash with me. Its a hobby and something that is fun. Not a business.

Also, how on earth do you have equipment expenses when you are selling a pro shot video/DVD like Irving Plaza???? All you have is the costs of the blank discs. And you cant tell me that this person bought their DVD burner just to distribute this show.

PS, had to say once again, I LOVE your disclaimer to enter your site ! LOL :)

Last edited:
U2please said:
5) I could go on and on... but bottom line, filmers with perfect digital copies and masters of shows are often reluctant to trade for CDR's that everyone has and reluctant to simply open up and give their shows away for free. Often the only adequate "trade" from a collector with only CD's of shows is money. Not many have DV/DVD's to trade.

6) If you don't agree with how it works, YOU go out and buy a $1000 digital video camera, a $1000 DVD recorder, spend $100 on a ticket, drive 400 miles roundtrip to a show, film a perfect show and see if you want to trade a DVD of the show for "Rock's Hottest Ticket" CDR...? It just doesn't work that way.

Exactly how is this different from someone who possesses shows in audio? They also spent $1000 on a DAT-recorder, $1000 on equipment to transfer and master the show on a computer, spend $100 on a ticket, drive 400 miles roundtrip to a show. Yet, most of them have no trouble trading it for other shows, do a B&P or even put it on a public server. The medium is slightly different, but the basics are the same.

C ya!

Marty

Actually U2Please hit it on the head better than most. What do you think it costs to BUY the multiple angles from some insider to create the multicam DVD that is floating around? Trust me, it's more than most spend on a DAT deck and mics. And that's for 1 show. (it was filmed with 4 angles, not just 2) And sometimes they'll get hit for the same show twice. (Irving is a prime example of this, I know it was "purchased" twice, once for the single angle and again for all the angles)

Many times these guys don't make a profit, because the window is too short. But it does make them money over time, because some fans aren't traders, they just want the show. Plenty of people on this site, (and others) are willing to buy stuff (DVDr is hot now) because they don't have the means to trade or don't know how to go about trading, etc...

Think of all the "unaired" proshot footage, R&H outtakes, Syracuce 87, Wash DC Zoo TV, etc... In just about every case, someone was paid off to get the footage, should they have bought them and sat on them? I'm glad they bought them to sell (Just as I'm glad as they film them to sell) BECAUSE THEY'RE OUT THERE THEN, for us to trade! Some of the best videos were shot because they knew they could sell them, not to give out to fans.

NOW, I'm against people selling, but I think it helps get stuff out there that wouldn't surface, because if there was no market for it at all, most videos wouldn't have surfaced and/or been filmed in the first place.

-Chrisedge

PS I WOULD LOVE TO TRADE FOR EITHER DVD VERSION. Have 75+ DVDr's (Including lots of Springsteen stuff)

Yes, as chrisedge said, a lot of shows are filmed with the goal of the recordings being sold. If there weren't people selling shows, most would not be filmed. Be thankful that there are people out there filming stuff.

Next time you see someone offering a DVD, don't bash them-- say, "Hey it's cool that they filmed the show, but I don't want to buy it."

As for proshots, most are originally purchased for A LOT of money, and we only see them because they are sold to the public.

I love some of the contradictory view points of a few members. Oh well, some people will do anything to justify something they are doing that they know is wrong.

I see it this way. If you are buying equipment to record or film a show that is so far above your means that you need to charge for expenses and/or profit, then you shouldnt be doing it. As I said before it shouldnt be a business, it should be a hobby.

As far as paying ton of money for some a pro shot and then charging for it to make back your money and/or profiting. I guess it just shows that not everything should be out there then. I have said this many times. There is enough stuff out their done by actual fans (not pro or semi pro bootleggers) to satisfy most. Thats all we really need IMO. Anyway, I guess we agree to disagree on this issue.

Blue Room, you know I'm against selling. However their (sellers) actions bring about the stuff that MOST fans really want. Proshot stuff is way more in demand than your average audience shot video. Some of it surfaces in the "trader" circles (The Notre Dame Multicam, Bonocam) And some of it gets "sold" then traded. (Your Irving Plaza for one) I know of really one great audience shot Elevation show that I can really watch and it was shot by a FAN. (04/24/01) There are some others that are good, but were shot by sellers. I still have lots of them, and don't know anyone that paid for them, so no loss by me or anyone I know. I don't like it, but it's still gonna happen. There will always be fans that will pay for something rather than trade/download it. So there will always be someone to fulfill that demand. You could equally blame a buyer as much as a seller if you really wanted to. It's easy to condone it when you get access to it and have it.

Real Video of the Irving Plaza concert.

To commemorate the 2 year anniversary of the Irving Plaza concert
U2Exit.com is offering (For a LIMITED TIME)a low bandwidth version of
the concert in Real Video. The show, which lasts a little more than
an hour, was originally broadcasted live on radio stations all across
the U.S.

http://www.u2exit.com

Hi everyone....long time, no post.

I have this DVD and I would be willing to trade it but because of my job it might take a few weeks to get a copy made. The holidays are coming up to and I will be spending it with my family so I hope you can be understanding of that as well. If interested, email me at ultraviolet_j@yahoo.com and let's see what we can work out.

Props to Blue Room, U2Please, and Chrisedge for their great discussion on this.

And I've got the VCD of it and I'll be giving a bunch away free on wire-u2 tomorrow. In fact, I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of these VCDs given away on wire and u2-list in the next few days!

Back
Top Bottom