Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samb_uk

The Fly
The new U2 album: track by track - Music - Independent.ie

Thursday January 29 2009

The first U2 album since November 2004 received an exclusive first play in Dublin last night.

The Residence private members club on St Stephen's Green in Dublin hosted a playback of the eagerly awaited album.

It has been the longest gap between releases in the band's entire career.

Media and record company personnel gathered to hear 'No Line on the Horizon' in full in the club's luxurious surroundings. The quartet's 12th studio album will be released in Ireland on February 27, a full weekend before its worldwide release.

Sessions for the album were recorded in Fez, Morocco, before moving on to the band's Dublin studio on Hanover Quay, New York's Platinum Sound and Olympic Studios in London.

The album will be available in five different formats, including vinyl, standard CD, a deluxe box set and a special edition with a limited 64-page magazine.

The lead single 'Get On Your Boots' will be available both as a digital download and on physical formats from February 13. The download, CD and 7in vinyl will all be priced at 99 cent, a first for a single release in this country.

The accompanying video for 'Get On Your Boots' will receive its world premiere exclusively here on Irish Independent News in Ireland & Worldwide | Irish Newspaper | News Stories Online?-?Independent.ie tomorrow at 4.55pm.

1 'No Line on the Horizon'

The opening title track kicks off with a crunchy, distorted guitar riff from the Edge.

2 'Magnificent'

Dancey electro flourishes introduce an atmospheric track with moody leanings.

3 'Moment of Surrender'

This particular moment of surrender sees a slowing down of the tempo and some delicate, bluesy guitar playing from the Edge.

4 'Unknown Caller'

More intricate guitar fretwork that builds into a mid-tempo rocker featuring an organ and one of the album's lushest productions.

5 'I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight'

Chiming guitar intro, a rousing Bono falsetto and the lyric, "Every generation has a chance to change the world".

6 'Get On Your Boots'

The belting single that shot straight to the top of the Irish airplay charts here stands as the halfway tune. The video will be premiered tomorrow on Irish Independent News in Ireland & Worldwide | Irish Newspaper | News Stories Online?-?Independent.ie from 4.55pm.

7 'Stand Up Comedy'

Grungy pop with strident drumming from Larry Mullen.

8 'Fez -- Being Born'

On first listen, easily the album's most adventurous and challenging track with ambient synthy hooks.

9 'White as Snow'

A stark, stripped back and striking tune with imploring vocals.

10 'Breathe'

Starts off with a trip-hop beat and cello playing before transforming into an all-out rocker.

11 'Cedars of Lebanon'

A reflective parting glass for album number 12, finishing on the line, "Choose your enemies carefully because they will define you".

:cute:

----------------------------------------------

http://u2tour.de/

Björn had the opportunity under a Prelistening session for the first time the new U2 album 'No Line On The Horizon' to hear. The whole took place - as it belongs - in the legendary Hansa studios in Berlin. His first impressions are here to read - lots of fun!

To put it quite clearly anticipated to take: I have the songs of the new record belongs exactly two times, that's too little to a review of "New Line On The Horizon" to write, which of these highly complex plate only rudimentary needs. Hence sketch the following lines just my first impressions: it is explicitly not a definitive review and therefore neither the individual nor the whole song a rating plate.

I have the CD as part of an organized Universal Music Pre-listening to the legendary Hansa studios belongs. That alone is a clear statement. Finally, the Hansa studios the place where baby was respect. But - that I venture even after listening twice to say - this panel will meet this demand. This album is different, this record is a brave one - and this record is definitely The Edge "on fire".

The overview of the individual songs:

- NLOTH

is a clear statement for the new direction, heavy guitars, a slow sectionin the middle, atmospheric and dense, a lot of different vocal parts

- Magnificient

Beach Clip 4, loud drumms, loops and riffs in the beginning, you can hear Bono singing "Magnificent" first (yes! it's also in bc4), very melodic, one of the best songs on the album, but also very close to "classic" U2. Many layers, very strong ending.

- Moment of Surrender

One of the slowest songs on the album, very strongly influenced by the Fez-sessions, strings, keyboards, sounds a little like Passengers, Bono sings with a scratchy voice first, than very melodic, many sound layers, Edge has an expressive, but slow guitar solo, the song has an oh oh oh chorus.

- Unknown Caller

Known as Beach Clip 1: Birds chirping, electronic noises, keyboards in the beginning, a mixture of classic and more "broken" sounds, sung with two voices (don't know if it means only Bono or Bono and Edge). Chorus: "Restart and reboot yourself" and: "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning". Edge has a very strong guitar solo, Bono singing over calm keyboard sounds. Lyrics: "Escape yourself and gravity"

-I'll go crazy if I don`t go crazy tonight

It's one of the shorter songs on the album, carried by Larry's strong drumming, but also interrupted by calm sequences. Resembles SYCMIOYO in some parts, the end is very similar to Ultraviolet. Political lyrics, Bono sings: "There's a part of me that wants to riot" and, later: "Every generation get's a chance to change the world". Would be a good second or third single.

- Get on your boots

First single, placed perfectly on the album, more light-hearted after all the dense and complex songs.

- Stand up comedy

Clearly influenced by Edge's sessions with Jack White and Jimmi Page. Sounds very 70s and would fit on the "Across the universe" soundtrack. Very rocking, catchy, Edge is "on fire", sounds like a single.

- Fez – being born

First you only hear a collage of electronic noises like phone ringing, a sample of GOYB, then, after about a minute, the song starts. Classic Edge guitar, keyboards, Bono singing very restlessly first, then more melodic. Fast beats. U2 sounding raw like during their very early years. In the middle the song sounds more synthetic and reminds the listener of Depeche Mode. Strong guitar and not so much singing.

- White as snow

Very calm song, short. Begins with atmospheric electronic sounds, then accoustic guitar, Bono sings like Johnny Cash, very intensive vocals. The song is about forgiving and about estranged brothers. Sounds a bit like Springhill Mining Disaster.

- Breathe

Beach Clip 2. Loud drums in the beginning, Bono's muffled singing, the chorus sounds like classic U2. Strings, but always broken by Edge's guitar. Intense and complex sound, a little bit like UTEOTW.

- Cedars of Lebanon

Dark song. Keyboards, minimalistic guitar parts, Bono talks more than he sings, is very dominant on the track. Strong bass line, sounds a bit like "Velvet Dress". Bono takes the perspective of a war correspondent in Lebanon. Edge sings the repeated part: "Return the call to home".

-----------------------------------------------

One of major newspapers here in Finland called Iltasanomat had track by track review of the album in today's printed version.

Article says...
- the album is going to take the band into new direction
- artful but catchy
- sounds and arrangments are experimental
- Edge's guitar is mixed front in many songs
- Moment of Surrender, Magnificent and White as Snow are going to be future classics

...about the songs...

No Line On The Horizon
- really rough sound, but not heavy like metal music

Magnificent
- sounds great from very first listen
- keeps up the energy level after NLOTH
- going to be 3rd single release from the album (!!??)

Moment
- perhaps the most important song on the album
- going to be great in concert
- slower than the first two songs but passion makes it up
- Bono's singing is great
- soundscape reminds UF era

Unknown Caller
- long intro
- Edge's playing is "bold"

Crazy Tonight
- fast song

Get On Your Boots
- one of the most challenging tracks on the album

Stand Up Comedy
- another fast song
- good guitar riff
- sounds are from AB-era

Fez - Being born
- African influences can be heard clearly on this one

White As Snow
- new 'One'?
- beautiful track

Breathe
- pompous song that reaches in for many directions

Article doesn't mention anything about Cedars.

-----------------------------------

France invited by Universal, we were able to listen on Friday for the first time the new U2 album. First impressions ...

A small room, a few seats, mostly journalists, the stage is set. It leaves everything to entry, bag, laptops, coats, no question of allowing anyone to record what will be released. A notebook, a pencil, and the first notes of "No Line On The Horizon" which resound. And what footnotes!

It starts strong
The album opens with what will probably be the title U2 2009, No Line On The Horizon is a great rock song, heavy, unusually fast for U2, whose sounds and vocals are reminiscent in many respects to more titles rhythmic Kings Of Leon. The chorus, very short and very quiet, allows impressive change of pace typical of U2. This title will undoubtedly be a must on the tour, and could even see the opening song of any designated.

Magnificent continue the momentum "rock" of the previous title, with the help of electronic sounds that seem straight from all the Passengers. The intro to slowly take us back to a pace intense. The chorus is again a break with no real melody, a chorus plan based on the voice of Bono and a discreet presence of The Edge on guitar. The title alone represents the entire album: a mix of rock and planants moments, revealing sparingly multiple electronic sounds.

It will be quiet ...
After two titles very rhythmic, U2 opens a triptych lighter. Moment Of Surrender is the designated ride any of the album. Every album the group is trying to find a successor worthy of the name to One and Stay, with varying degrees of success. This time may be good, Moment Of Surrender happens to provoke emotion, through the tortured vocals of Bono, and a beautiful vocal chorus. The Edge offers a remarkable solo air sound may remind some of Pink Floyd.

Unknown Caller begins with chirping birds. The time of the intro, it thinks in a garden beside a river and we Bono sussure "Sunshine, sunshine" in his ear. It's fresh. The rest of the title is a journey, combining a big guitar and a chorus almost spoken. " The end to The Edge allows us to fill a new and long guitar solos, to lead us slowly under the pop album: Crazy Tonight. Light, leading, and refreshing, this title takes the torch from Wild Honey but no other comparison as it is higher. Bono sings "Baby, baby" and takes us back to the days of Achtung Baby. The catchy chorus will easily in the mind.

... To spread
Get On Your Boots concludes pause "pop / walks and back where it began: the rock. Taking this as everyone knows now, and interested us following Stand Up Comedy, which is his natural brother. It is an extension clear: even typical guitar riff, even the heavy, even how to sing just "spoken" Bono. Throughout the song, it really become as a result of Get On Your Boots.

Fez - Being Born surprises. More than a title, it's almost two titles butt: Fez on one side (intro) and being born on the other. Plan, the intro seems straight out of the album Zooropa and contains sounds like "zapping radio, it surprised by the resumption of" Let me in the sound "Get On Your Boots. Following the song starts abruptly. Halfway between the ride and the rock under the title slip pleasantly, without any real structure.

Controlled landing
The album landed slowly. As Snow White and Breathe are two titles of classic U2. The first starts slowly as did The Ground Beneath Her Feet at the time. The guitar of The Edge is like a stroll written by a group of hard-rock. As a breath, it starts with an introduction by Larry Mullen messy, and leave quickly up to the inspiration of The Edge, whose guitar innonde the pieces, which still provides us a solo final.

Cedars Of Lebanon happens then, as the UFO of the album, just as were The Wanderer on Zooropa or Wake Up Dead Man on Pop. The title is built around Bono who speaks more than he sings, with music very slow tempo that closes an album perfectly exciting.

Conclusion
Exciting is the word that might best describe the album. Let us be clear, if you expect a classic U2 of the 2000s, you'll be disappointed. Same thing if you think back to U2 and resume 90 years after Achtung Baby. No "No Line On The Horizon" is unlike anything U2 has done so far. But that does not stop it from being simply enormous. This is an album dense, heavy, offering the bribes of a U2 rock that had perhaps never proposed, while retaining the key that is so specific. It is surprising to many times to hear sounds that remind us Zooropa and Passengers, but this disc is a new material, in many ways unique to the previous ones.

Get on Your Boots is a good overview, but not the top. And we like to tell you all at once: the first part of the album is a real slap!

Google translation

"Every generation has a chance to change the world". Made me:doh: But i wait for it in context before i judge.

Colm & Jim Jim (DJ's who played GOYB's first) were at this last night, they couldn't say much about the album (Not allowed to), they sounded really impressed. They did say when 'Stand up comedy' came on everyone stopped and looked at the speakers and then started to high five each other. They loved Magnificent and MOS as well.:drool:

I think that the descriptions of Magnificent, Unknown Caller and Breathe show that the beach clips gave us a good idea of what the songs are like, but that they could possibly be quite different in their finished forms

The new U2 album: track by track - Music - Independent.ie

Thursday January 29 2009

The first U2 album since November 2004 received an exclusive first play in Dublin last night.

The Residence private members club on St Stephen's Green in Dublin hosted a playback of the eagerly awaited album.

It has been the longest gap between releases in the band's entire career.

Media and record company personnel gathered to hear 'No Line on the Horizon' in full in the club's luxurious surroundings. The quartet's 12th studio album will be released in Ireland on February 27, a full weekend before its worldwide release.

Sessions for the album were recorded in Fez, Morocco, before moving on to the band's Dublin studio on Hanover Quay, New York's Platinum Sound and Olympic Studios in London.

The album will be available in five different formats, including vinyl, standard CD, a deluxe box set and a special edition with a limited 64-page magazine.

The lead single 'Get On Your Boots' will be available both as a digital download and on physical formats from February 13. The download, CD and 7in vinyl will all be priced at 99 cent, a first for a single release in this country.

The accompanying video for 'Get On Your Boots' will receive its world premiere exclusively here on Irish Independent News in Ireland & Worldwide | Irish Newspaper | News Stories Online?-?Independent.ie tomorrow at 4.55pm.

1 'No Line on the Horizon'

The opening title track kicks off with a crunchy, distorted guitar riff from the Edge.

2 'Magnificent'

Dancey electro flourishes introduce an atmospheric track with moody leanings.

3 'Moment of Surrender'

This particular moment of surrender sees a slowing down of the tempo and some delicate, bluesy guitar playing from the Edge.

4 'Unknown Caller'

More intricate guitar fretwork that builds into a mid-tempo rocker featuring an organ and one of the album's lushest productions.

5 'I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight'

Chiming guitar intro, a rousing Bono falsetto and the lyric, "Every generation has a chance to change the world".

6 'Get On Your Boots'

The belting single that shot straight to the top of the Irish airplay charts here stands as the halfway tune. The video will be premiered tomorrow on Irish Independent News in Ireland & Worldwide | Irish Newspaper | News Stories Online?-?Independent.ie from 4.55pm.

7 'Stand Up Comedy'

Grungy pop with strident drumming from Larry Mullen.

8 'Fez -- Being Born'

On first listen, easily the album's most adventurous and challenging track with ambient synthy hooks.

9 'White as Snow'

A stark, stripped back and striking tune with imploring vocals.

10 'Breathe'

Starts off with a trip-hop beat and cello playing before transforming into an all-out rocker.

11 'Cedars of Lebanon'

A reflective parting glass for album number 12, finishing on the line, "Choose your enemies carefully because they will define you".

:cute:

Every song sounds like a ripper. :drool:

The descriptions for NLOTH, Magnificent and Unknown Caller sound the most mouthwatering, but then again every track looks incredibly promising. :up:

:bow:

Thanks for this article. I have yet to read something that has not left me excited about this album. :hyper:

You can say the same for me. :hyper:

:bow:

Colm & Jim Jim (DJ's who played GOYB's first) were at this last night, they couldn't say much about the album (Not allowed to), they sounded really impressed. They did say when 'Stand up comedy' came on everyone stopped and looked at the speakers and then started to high five each other. They loved Magnificent and MOS as well.:drool:

Fantastic signs I reckon, everyone seems so impressed. :up:

10 'Breathe'

That sounds awesome :ohmy:

Stand Up Comedy and Breathe sound absolutely amazing. I cannot wait to hear them in a live setting.

6 'Get On Your Boots'

The belting single

:lol:

God, I love reviewers. Can not wait for the album though:hyper:

I'd rather not judge lyrics outside of the song, when I read

"get on your boots
sexy boots
You don't know how beautiful you are"

I cringed, but in the context of the song it sounds good

Sounds very encouraging. Probably a good thing they've kept it to 11 songs. Very encouraged that none of the songs sound like fillers - no Wild Honeys or In A Little Whiles on this one. Now I just hope it leaks sooner rather than later as I have a 10.5 hour flight to the States on the 21st and listening to NLTOH on repeat could transform that journey time!

I'd rather not judge lyrics outside of the song, when I read

"get on your boots
sexy boots
You don't know how beautiful you are"

I cringed, but in the context of the song it sounds good

Exactly. Same with this:

Holy dunc, spacejunk coming in for the splash
(Been around back... been around front)
Wh-wh-white dopes on punk s-staring into the flash
(Been around back... been around front)
Looking for the baby Jesus under the trash

:dance: :rockon: