Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unknown Caller is definitly beach clip No. 1, Björn from u2tour confirms it, also the lyrics can be heard on the beach clip, it starts with the birds singing. He says there is not only one song with an Oh oh oh chorus, so with UC and MOS there are already two. He confirmed all the beach clips as we've already matched them. Unknown Caller = Beach Clip 1, Breathe = Beach Clip 2, GOYB = Beach Clip 3, Magnificent = Beach Clip 4.

Wait...MOS has an "Oh oh oh oh" chorus? So beach clip 1 WASN'T Unknown Caller? :huh: Or maybe there are two choruses of that kind on the album.

EDIT: I see he confirmed Unknown Caller is beach clip #1. Must just be a coincidence then.

listen to any U2 song to see the diversity of "oh oh oh" :wink:

I posted this already in another thread but I'll post this here as well...

One of major newspapers here in Finland called Iltasanomat had track by track review of the album in today's printed version.

Article says...
- the album is going to take the band into new direction
- artful but catchy
- sounds and arrangments are experimental
- Edge's guitar is mixed front in many songs
- Moment of Surrender, Magnificent and White as Snow are going to be future classics

...about the songs...

No Line On The Horizon
- really rough sound, but not heavy like metal music

Magnificent
- sounds great from very first listen
- keeps up the energy level after NLOTH
- going to be 3rd single release from the album (!!??)

Moment
- perhaps the most important song on the album
- going to be great in concert
- slower than the first two songs but passion makes it up
- Bono's singing is great
- soundscape reminds UF era

Unknown Caller
- long intro
- Edge's playing is "bold"

Crazy Tonight
- fast song

Get On Your Boots
- one of the most challenging tracks on the album

Stand Up Comedy
- another fast song
- good guitar riff
- sounds are from AB-era

Fez - Being born
- African influences can be heard clearly on this one

White As Snow
- new 'One'?
- beautiful track

Breathe
- pompous song that reaches in for many directions

Article doesn't mention anything about Cedars.

Funny that we have such an international audience here on Interference, and yet we rely on google translations! :lol: Pretty stone-age, eh? In a way it feels like we'll be laughing at this when the next album hype starts and we rehash what we went through with this one. :wink:

Funny that we have such an international audience here on Interference, and yet we rely on google translations! :lol: Pretty stone-age, eh? In a way it feels like we'll be laughing at this when the next album hype starts and we rehash what we went through with this one. :wink:

hey my german is rusty :angry:

I want to translate but you're all too fast.

U2tour.de:

- Says album is different, experimental, couragous, says it's the album many fans have been waiting for, says the pre-listening in Hansa Studios, where AB was recorded, was a clear sign, says the Edge is definitely on fire, it's an "Edge" album with strong guitar, says there are many experimental, unexpected sounds, a lot of effects, says U2 have never used so many instruments and layers, says he listened to the album twice and it made him hungry for more.

That's a very good review coming from u2tour.de, because they are usually very critical of U2's output.

If any German speaking Interferencer feels like doing a proper translation of the U2tour.de review, that'd be fantastic! The online one was a bit hard to read :huh:

This description got me more excited about the album than any other thus far. Very detailed. The only way it could have been any better is if the English translation wasn't so fractured.

Unknown Caller

Fez - Being born
The first minute, only electronic set pieces to hear a phone ringing,

Cedars of Lebanon
the recurring line "return the call to home"

In addition to the theme of night/day, it sounds like "calls" are also a running theme-----phone calls, answering a call both literally and metaphorically.

It certainly confirms that those who want something different from the last 2 records will get it. :up:

I can also understand why U2 is trying to be secretive of the new sound.

- Says Bono's vocals are very good, often very melodic, the falsetto is also back, Edge can also be heard singing a lot

- NLOTH

is a clear statement for the new direction, heavy guitars, a slow sectionin the middle, atmospheric and dense, a lot of different vocal parts

- Magnificient

Beach Clip 4, loud drumms, loops and riffs in the beginning, you can hear Bono singing "Magnificent" first (yes! it's also in bc4), very melodic, one of the best songs on the album, but also very close to "classic" U2. Many layers, very strong ending.

- Moment of Surrender

One of the slowest songs on the album, very strongly influenced by the Fez-sessions, strings, keyboards, sounds a little like Passengers, Bono sings with a scratchy voice first, than very melodic, many sound layers, Edge has an expressive, but slow guitar solo, the song has an oh oh oh chorus.

Could beach clip #5 be Moment of Surrender? It has the oh oh oh's but it doesn't seem to fit the descriptions.

- NLOTH

is a clear statement for the new direction, heavy guitars, a slow sectionin the middle, atmospheric and dense, a lot of different vocal parts

Any chance they turned those two versions into one? :hmm:

Ooooh! The German review sounds great. At least through the muddled google translation I just read, which translated Achtung Baby as respect baby.

I want this album so bad right now, that my desire can't be charted.

it all sounds fantastic. it sounds like U2 have given us all that they could, and if you don't like it, that's fine, but they've kept up their end of the bargain and put everything they have into the record. if it's not for you, then it's not for you.

these are good days to be a U2 fan. :)

- Unknown Caller

Known as Beach Clip 1: Birds chirping, electronic noises, keyboards in the beginning, a mixture of classic and more "broken" sounds, sung with two voices (don't know if it means only Bono or Bono and Edge). Chorus: "Restart and reboot yourself" and: "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning". Edge has a very strong guitar solo, Bono singing over calm keyboard sounds. Lyrics: "Escape yourself and gravity"

very positive review
but also reads like a fan's ramblings more than the work of a music critic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom