Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds very encouraging. Probably a good thing they've kept it to 11 songs. Very encouraged that none of the songs sound like fillers - no Wild Honeys or In A Little Whiles on this one. Now I just hope it leaks sooner rather than later as I have a 10.5 hour flight to the States on the 21st and listening to NLTOH on repeat could transform that journey time!

I actually consider them far better than "Peace on Earth" or "Grace", though. I think "In a Little While" is the 2nd best song on the album, personally.

I didn't like that line either, for some reason. Maybe I've just been rendered cynical by living in America and being bombarded with advertisements every day of my life, but "every generation has a chance to change the world" sort of sounds like a happy-go-lucky Pepsi jingle to me. I prefer when Bono writes like a poet -- with specific images -- instead of like a politician, with broad, sweeping, vague rhetoric.

But hey, I haven't even heard the song yet... for all I know it might work brilliantly. :wink:

Agreed. I like political analysis and activism, but it's got to be carefully conveyed.

My sense is that Bono may have not tried hard enough to contain the annoying, condescending tendency to write direct lyrics of his later years. Only so much Lanois and Eno can do; if this album doesn't live up to what it could have been, I blame Bono and his idiotic desire for popularity instead of quality.

I actually consider them far better than "Peace on Earth" or "Grace", though. I think "In a Little While" is the 2nd best song on the album, personally.

IALW is one of the all-time greats. It's the song I return to most from ATYCLB.

And I still don't mind Grace.:reject:

My sense is that Bono may have not tried hard enough to contain the annoying, condescending tendency to write direct lyrics of his later years. Only so much Lanois and Eno can do; if this album doesn't live up to what it could have been, I blame Bono and his idiotic desire for popularity instead of quality.

This IS your problem. You are always assuming and always speculating.

You are already willing to blame one person for the album if you don't like it. Who knows you may hate Lanois and Eno's production and love Bono's singing and lyrics.

In a Little While came to life live for me, but in general I thought everything on that album after the first 5 tracks was filler.

Fucking hell February is going to REALLY drag waiting for this to come out :huh:

Apparently the Album embargo was lifted about a week after Xmas and slapped back on within hours :doh: Not only do they not want it to leak, hence all the secrecy, they changed stuff right after the embargo lifted and slapped it back on again. :ohmy:

Come on Bono! Get it leaked :madwife: :lol:

U2tour.de has a full NLOTH review

Minutes ago,U2tour.de fansite has published a full review of NLOTH made by a member of the fansite allowed to listen to the preview in German.
The review seems to be accurate and complete and maybe is the first one made from a genuine fan.
The problem is that is written in German language..may anybody translate it?
Thanx and hope..

Björn had the opportunity under a Prelistening session for the first time the new U2 album 'No Line On The Horizon' to hear. The whole took place - as it belongs - in the legendary Hansa studios in Berlin. His first impressions are here to read - lots of fun!
To put it quite clearly anticipated to take: I have the songs of the new record belongs exactly two times, that's too little to a review of "New Line On The Horizon" to write, which of these highly complex plate only rudimentary needs. Hence sketch the following lines just my first impressions: it is explicitly not a definitive review and therefore neither the individual nor the whole song a rating plate.

I have the CD as part of an organized Universal Music Pre-listening to the legendary Hansa studios belongs. That alone is a clear statement. Finally, the Hansa studios the place where baby was respect. But - that I venture even after listening twice to say - this panel will meet this demand. This album is different, this record is a brave one - and this record is definitely The Edge "on fire".

The overview of the individual songs:

No Line On The Horizon
The first song is already a clear statement: this record is different. Booming guitar riffs an opposite face, the bass scheppert, Bono's voice cries, hurts, and will only slow melodic. The catchy chorus is a surprise and is supported by The Edge ge-sang ¬ tion taken. In the central part of the song is slower, he brings classic U2 song ¬ struc-tures, before he takes up rebounds. At the end guitar parts that remind of Lady With The Spinning Head. A densely atmospheric song that U2s music in a changing world of sounds and has already transferred the line for the album purports: rock, atmospherically dense and varied by the singing parts.

Magnificient
Magnificient begins with loud drums, there are loops and riffs can be heard, chasing each other before Edges classical guitar sound begins. Bono starts singing his part with the title of the song. A very melodious song, perhaps one of the best on the whole album. But also one that has most likely on previous U2 albums had folded. Nevertheless, it is also pervaded by new layers of sound and would perhaps still good to respect baby may appear. A strong final finished this song, which we already Beach clip No. 4 know.

Moment of Surrender
Song three is among the slowest on the CD. Drip-end beats with an obvious influence from the Fez sessions open the track. Strings and keyboards take over, before Bono's voice surprisingly brittle begins. In parts of the song almost reminds of the Passengers experiments then until Bono and Edge melodious him to the chorus with Falsetto voice support. The whole grace a gloomy mood, from a much-layered sound carpet is worn. Edge has a very expressive, but slow guitar solo in this song, and Bono sings - repeatedly - "Oh-Oh-Oh'-Chorusse.

Unknown Caller
Bird, electrical noise and keyboards guided Unknown Caller On. The song lives of exciting breaks in the sound structure, somewhere always comes back to the classic U2 sound, before it comes back consistently interrupted. Almost the entire track is sung in two voices. The chorus sings Bono "Restart and reboot yourself" and brings one of the key points, the vocals may be the concept of the album describes: "I was lost between the midnight and the Dawning." Edge is with another strong guitar solo to be heard and Bono is working on lyrics daherplätschernde Keyboards progress "Escape yourself and gravity." This song is already our No. 1 as Beachclip known.

I'll go crazy if I don `t go crazy tonight
I'll go crazy one of the shorter songs of the album. The sound is taken from Larry's Drums, Edge comes with catchy guitar parts therefore. Middle there are always short, quiet song sections before Larry goes back powerfully forward. In the central part of it sometimes reminds a little of the atmosphere in "Sometimes You Can` t make it on your own, "while the end of the song well after" Ultraviolet "sounds. The text of the song is political, Bono sings: "There` sa part of me that wants to riot "and later" Every generation get's a chance to change the world ". I'll go crazy would also be a possible second or third single.

Get on your boots
Since the single now everyone will have heard, I can not describe precisely. In the end of the album but it fits perfectly. It ghost awakens new life while providing a little musical recreation, because they are not quite as dense and complex structure of her song is like the previous tracks. Wonderfully positioned.

Stand up comedy
Hardly a song clearly shows the influence of the sessions of The Edge, together with guitarist Jack White and Jimi Page for the film "It might get loud" had. Stand Up Comedy musikalisch seems like straight from the 70s to come and would also be on the soundtrack to "Across The Universe" is not noticed. A very rock, a common number, the absolute single-fitness. Here is final The Edge "on fire".

Fez - Being born
The first minute, only electronic set pieces to hear a phone ringing, a sample from "Get On Your Boots" - until then, the actual song starts. Edges läu guitar-ing classic, keyboards set, before Bono's voice only restless, then to fast beats, melodic intervenes. Partial U2 sound here unconsumed and crude as the early 80s on their first singles. In the central part of the sound synthetic and almost reminiscent of Depeche Mode. But the guitar is the direction, Bono saves this song with the vocals and that's not bad.

White as snow
This quiet and short track leads almost the end of the album. It starts with an atmospheric ¬ nem electronic noise, through which the sound of a soulful acoustic guitar sets. It is expected formally supporting the voice of Johnny Cash, but Bono is using his voice here similarly intense. The song is about forgiveness and how one of his own brother may be unfamiliar. Musically reminiscent in parts of Springhill Mining Disaster, a song to U2 during the Joshua Tree tour ever again have covered.

Breathe
Booming sirrende and Drums open this song, Bono on the fast and sometimes minutely his vocal track sets. Only the chorus is like a U2 classic. But even in the middle piece zersägt Edges Part guitar strings and the onset ensures a dense and intense sound experience, which is carefully "Until the end of the world" recalls. The song is known Beachclip No. 2.

Cedars of Lebanon
Gloomy keyboards, backed by minimalist lead guitar playing the last song on the album. Bono speaks more than he sings and acts very dominant on this track. Drip-end beats and a strong bass line to remember in its infancy "If you were that velvet dress." Bono sings from the perspective of a war reporter in Lebanon and the recurring line "return the call to home" sounds like a distant, electronic noise, which maintains Edge vocals.

Conclusion:
The new U2 album will be for some fans to the album to which they have long been waiting for. For others it is disturbing moment in the first act. It makes me after these two times hear mainly one thing: hungry for more. I want this CD to hear again and again, they discover her mystery. I suspect this album will be - like Baby Caution or pop - gradually grow and at a very high level is always better. Curious, I also live on the implementation: U2 have rarely with so much sound levels, with so many keyboards and guitar work. Since it will be very interesting as it is to translate the live versions.

This album is fun and it is especially U2s own demands: they have proved that they are still innovative and exciting music can do. And that they certainly are not yet belong to the Old Iron. Congratulations!

Wow, this track by track is really different. It makes the songs seem very slow. Interesting. :hmm:

"Baby Caution"

:lmao:

Wait...MOS has an "Oh oh oh oh" chorus? So beach clip 1 WASN'T Unknown Caller? :huh: Or maybe there are two choruses of that kind on the album.

EDIT: I see he confirmed Unknown Caller is beach clip #1. Must just be a coincidence then.

Wow, that sounds unfuckingbelievable! :combust:

Fez--Being Born really does sound "challenging." If I read correctly, it sounds like they sample GOYB and perhaps even caricatures of their older styles. Very interesting.

Cool that this guy points out which Beach Clips go with which songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom