Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do we know the length of the tracks for sure? i know we saw the titles on that board in the studio a while back. is that the real thing? also......kinda curious as to what the bonus tracks will be.

Bonus in Aus/Japan is NLOTH 2

its on the itunes store now too. Also, itunes has ANOTHER bonus for pre-order.

This album seems to have elements of all their best work thrown into one, from what some of the reviews say about each of the songs. It seems like U2 has been listening to what people have been saying and also thrown in (understandably) a little bit of new 'different' stuff.

So what does it seem like we have? a mixture of TUF, TJT, AB, Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB and HTDAAB thrown in one. If that is the case, then I think this album could well be their best... but hopefully not their last - otherwise I shall cry.:|:wink:

Is it too early for me to be hopefully anticipating the follow up?
:drool:

Last edited:
if and when this thing leaks.........its going to be very hard not to listen. however...i want to just put the cd into my car and take a drive and listen to it from beginning to end.:D

found this at U2eastlink forum. the translation is really bad.

The fear of piracy in the music industry is cerval paradoxical. Listen to the new U2 album from the Irish over a month to view their appearance in shops, it becomes a dark ceremony, where you have to leave even the "mobile" in trust for if you had temptations hacker.
"No line on the horizon", the twelfth in his work, is an album deep, mature, thoughtful, as if it were the crest of wisdom from a group that takes nearly 30 years on the podium of the rock.
It has three beautiful songs. Is already in a world of creative menigítica condition. But is not the album art, full of surprises innovative sounds ever heard or dreamed structures of songs by a genius of composition.
By contrast, seventy percent of the eleven songs that the album contains the typical sound of U2, with the guitars of The Edge indefectible penetrating melodies in all commercial Bono, who has written texts, halfway between the hope, esceptimismo, love and nostalgia.
As it had warned Brian Eno, producer of the album with Daniel Lanois and Steve Lillywhite Engineer, the best theme of the album is definitely "Breathe." Bono starts using the "Ulysses" Joyce of his countryman, in June 13 included, then there is harmony, scale and chord melodies beautifully exchanged with Bono cantándote "Every day I die again and again to be born again." The result is an epic song, powerful, "because the songs are in your eyes."
Technically, the other song is just amazing with that starts the album and the title of the work. The chorus is so hot, innovative, with a magnificently accomplished and sonic art.
"There is no line on the horizon, but the songs are in your head and now in my mind." It's like a surrender to the magnificent yacht rides Bono and The Edge of the Ligurian Sea and the poetic line in the horizon of the sea. The cover is an analytic expression of the melody in the mind of Bono.
The third song quality is "Stand up comedy." Is nothing new. It has a powerful riff that reminds me a lot of "Black Dog" or Led Zeppelin song, but it is a large rock and do not forget that U2 is basically a rock band.
It is also a sardonic response from Bono to call him short, because he sings: "Up the rock stars, go with Napoleon heels, but Josephine, takes care of small men with big ideas." Not necessary to point out.
Definitely, the single "Get on your boots is the most daring in cutting edge sound design ideas in mixing the real with the unreal. There are guitars of The Edge are sampling and other sounds are real.
The mix is a new technique, which is based on sampling bits of the song, beginning with the stanza, ending by estribillo.El engineer Richard Rainey has developed several theories about the techniques of revolutionary mixtures. Furthermore, it is the only thing "different" in the structure of the monolithic team of over twenty years with U2.
There are a tribute to Lou Reed, Bono always a love-song in the album "The cedars of Lebanon", in which the singer acts as a war correspondent and sings with a lot of clairvoyance: "Choose your enemies carefully because they are the ones you define "
It is a good sentence for the more cerebral end of the album from U2.

Pue said that if this is a good album .. before we are a fucking Discazo

Please, don't believe Julian Ruiz. It's only a nerd, a stupid guy who doesn't know anything about anything.

All his opinions, year by year, are just crap.

found this at U2eastlink forum. the translation is really bad.

Weird review, owing largely to the terrible translation, as you point out. Sounds like this guy thinks that Boots is actually the most innovative song on the album. Funny.

^^^^^^^^^

some "Mercy" lyrics appear in Breathe?

I noticed that, too. Looks like he also implies that Breathe says "the songs are in your eyes" and NLOTH says "the songs are in your head." Reusing the same lyrics on the same album? :scratch: I think this is really related to the translation....

Here's the original. if anyone is able to translate this better than Google, that would be awesome!

El miedo a la piratería en la industria discográfica es cerval, paradójico. Escuchar el nuevo álbum de los irlandeses U2 a más de un mes vista de su aparición en tiendas, se convierte en un ceremonia tenebrosa, donde incluso tienes que dejar el “móvil” en déposito por si tuvieras tentaciones de pirata informático.
“No line on the horizon”, el duodécimo en su obra, es un álbum profundo, maduro, reflexivo, como si fuera la cresta de sensatez de un grupo que lleva casi 30 años en el pódium del rock.
Tiene tres canciones hermosas. Ya es bastante en un mundo de menigítica condición creadora. Pero no es el álbum vanguardista, repleto de sorpresas innovadoras, sonidos jamás escuchados o estructuras de canciones soñadas por un genio de la composición.
Al contrario, en el setenta por ciento de las once canciones que contiene el álbum, el típico sonido de U2, con las indefectibles guitarras de The Edge calan en las melodías nada comerciales de Bono, que ha escrito unos textos, a medio camino entre la esperanza, el esceptimismo, el amor y la nostalgia.
Tal como había avisado Brian Eno, productor del álbum junto con Daniel Lanois y el ingeniero Steve Lillywhite, el mejor tema del álbum es definitivamente “Breathe”. Bono empieza utilizando el “Ulises” de su paisano Joyce, con el 13 de junio incluido y, luego, hay armonías, escala de acordes y melodías magníficamente intercambiadas con Bono cantándote “cada día muero otra vez y otra vez vuelvo a nacer”. El resultado es una canción épica, poderosa, “porque las canciones están en tus ojos”.
Técnicamente, la otra canción deslumbrante es justo con la que se inicia el disco y la que da título a la obra. El estribillo es sensual, innovador, con una sónica magníficamente conseguida y la más vanguardista .
”No hay línea en el horizonte, pero las canciones están en tu cabeza y también, ahora, en mi mente”. Es como una rendición a los magníficos paseos en yate de Bono y The Edge por el mar de Liguria y ese línea poética en el horizonte del mar. La portada es una expresión analítica de la melodía en la mente de Bono.
La tercera canción de calidad es “Stand up comedy”. No es nada nuevo. Tiene un poderoso “riff” que me recuerda mucho a “Black dog” o cualquier canción de Led Zeppelin, pero es un gran rock y no olvidemos que U2 es básicamente un grupo de rock.
Es,además, una sardónica respuesta de Bono a los que le llaman bajito, porque canta :”Arriba la estrellas de rock;Napoléon va con tacones, pero Josefina, lleva cuidado de los pequeños hombres con grandes ideas”. No hace falta más que apuntar.
Definitivamente, el single “Get on your boots” es lo más atrevido en vanguardia sonora, en concepción de ideas, mezclando lo real con los irreal. Hay guitarras de The Edge que están “sampleadas” y otras tienen sonido real.
La mezcla es una nueva técnica, que se hace a base de “samplear” trozos de la canción, empezando por la estrofa, terminando por el estribillo.El ingeniero Richar Rainey ha desarrollado varias teorías sobre las técnicas de mezclas revolucionarias. Además, es el único elemento “diferente” en la estructura del monolítico equipo de más de veinte años en U2.
Hay un homenaje a Lou Reed –a Bono siempre le gusta mucho- en la última canción del álbum “Los cedros del Líbano”, en la que el cantante ejerce de corresponsal de guerra y canta con mucha clarividencia:”Escoje a tus enemigos con cuidado, porque son ellos los que te definen”
Es una buena frase para el final del álbum más cerebral de U2.

Pue eso que si este dice que es un buen disco.. estamos antes un PUTO DISCAZO

songs are in your eyes...

songs are in your head...

not very encouraged by this, unless the translation is totally off

There's a pretty bad review here (on German): Neues Album von U2 : 'Das Aufregendste seit zehn Jahren' - Unterhaltung - STERN.DE

I mean "bad" in the sense it's written. The bloke is kinda desperately trying to be cool, with some pretty awful attempts at sarcasm in there. He's obviously not a fan, although he says that he is positively surprised by it (for new U2, it's not "exhausting").

He says "Breathe" reminds him of The Rolling Stones (which, at least according to the beach clip, is utter nonsense) and Stand Up Comedy of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

He says that Edge experiments a little on his guitar, especially on "Moment of Surrender" and "Fez"; it reminds him of Portishead.

It also says that the album is 53 minutes long (the last report we had was 57:32... so what is it?).

songs are in your eyes...

songs are in your head...

not very encouraged by this, unless the translation is totally off

Theme anybody? oh no wait, lets just bitch about it, and then when the album sounds like a selection of good singles bitch how it hasnt got a theme or isnt cohesive.

Theme anybody? oh no wait, lets just bitch about it, and then when the album sounds like a selection of good singles bitch how it hasnt got a theme or isnt cohesive.

i really don't care about the album having a consistent theme...just pointing the repetitive nature of a couple of lyrics. anyway, my mistake, it's pointless to even bring up until we've heard the album.

No, see theme is the concept of day/night, or like I posted a few pages back, how
Unknown Caller, Fez-Being Born, and Cedars of Lebanon all have references to phones ringing or answering a "call." Using what's essentially the same line in two songs on the same album isn't really a theme---it's just using the same line over again.

Again, I doubt that that line is really repeated & I'd say it's likely a result of the poor translation of the review.

I was going to complain about the description of the album, but KUEF's 4,000 post, 4 year quest to criticize the criticism has convinced me that I should say I love it. :heart::heart:

I was going to complain about the description of the album, but KUEF's 4,000 post, 4 year quest to criticize the criticism has convinced me that I should say I love it. :heart::heart:

The guy was hilarious at 200 posts max.

At 4,000, he's just extremely boring.

i really don't care about the album having a consistent theme...just pointing the repetitive nature of a couple of lyrics. anyway, my mistake, it's pointless to even bring up until we've heard the album.

Bono did this on Zooropa, too:

Babyface said:
dressed up like a lovely day

Stay said:
dressed up like a car crash

Not a big fan of this repetition in principle, but as a practical matter each line works in the context of their song so that's something I've just accepted.

Isn't
the songs are in your eyes
from Miracle Drug?

Discotheque said:
I wanna be the song that you hear in your head

Again, the context of words has an effect; "the songs are in your head" would sound different used in Miracle Drug versus Exit. You know, a cheery sentiment versus something driving a person to kill. Ironically, if both songs used that lyric, had their respective implications, and were on the same album, I think I'd love it and see it as an interesting bit of duality. If it were repeated over multiple albums, though, my first thought would see it as a little lazy. Waiting to hear the album is probably the best move! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom