Ipod Nano vs. U2 Ipod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i got an Ipod nano for x-mas, but want to return it for a u2 ipod i found online. what are thmain difference?

i mean, i just dont see what the big deal about the Nano is? just that its smaller? mine only holds 2 GIGS, while the U2 one holds 20 GIGS. any other major technlogy differences?

The new IPod that plays video is, imo, better than both the Nano and the U2 IPod.

But if I have to choose between the two you mention, I pick the U2 IPod. People pick the Nano because it's smaller.

get the u2 one simply because it's a proper size, is built properly and, consequently, won't break in your pocket. good colours too.

The main things that bother me about the Nano are:

1. It's too small
2. It replaced the Mini
3. It's a rip off.
4GB iPod Mini: $200
4GB iPod Nano: $250

In the long run, I'd say go for the U2 iPod.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
The main things that bother me about the Nano are:

1. It's too small
2. It replaced the Mini
3. It's a rip off.

In the long run, I'd say go for the U2 iPod.

Along those lines:

30GB iPod 5th Generation/Video: $299

No contest, IMO.

I got the U2 iPod about 6 months ago. If I were shopping around now, I'd get the 30GB 5G---especially since the U2 iPod isn't even made anymore. I am very happy with my U2 iPod, though.

The Nano looks like it would scratch and break more easily. Doesn't it have a memory stick rather than a hard drive? :wink:

we have nanos in our family.

they don't seem like they would get easily broken or scratched at all. there is, however, a slight fingerprint problem with the black one. i like the fact that you can have them engraved for free. we had fun with that.

but for some reason, i still prefer my shuffle over all of them. :up:

Yes, there is a major technology difference - though the Nano is smaller and size and disc space, I would get the Nano b/c it's flash memory and not a hard drive, with moving mechanisms that really aren't intended to last more than a few years, like in the U2 iPod. For someone like me, who would mainly use an iPod while walking to school/work, working out, or in transportation, the technology of the Nano is better. If you mostly listen you your iPod while sitting still or having it ride in the car with an iTrip, the larger versions that are made of a hard drive will be OK.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yes, there is a major technology difference - though the Nano is smaller and size and disc space, I would get the Nano b/c it's flash memory and not a hard drive, with moving mechanisms that really aren't intended to last more than a few years, like in the U2 iPod. For someone like me, who would mainly use an iPod while walking to school/work, working out, or in transportation, the technology of the Nano is better. If you mostly listen you your iPod while sitting still or having it ride in the car with an iTrip, the larger versions that are made of a hard drive will be OK.

True. :yes: If you want to run with your iPod, don't get one with a hard drive. The moving parts make it more apt to break than the flash drive.

Utoo said:

I got the U2 iPod about 6 months ago. If I were shopping around now, I'd get the 30GB 5G---especially since the U2 iPod isn't even made anymore. I am very happy with my U2 iPod, though.

That's what I'm getting :drool: engraved with "lookin' for a sound that's gonna drown out the world" ... should be here tomorrow :hyper:

I have a U2 iPod as well that I got a year ago. I'm happy with it, but I've filled up the 20 GB and it doesn't even hold photos. Those new iPods were just too sexy to resist.

As for Nano vs. U2 iPods, it depends on how much music you have. If you have enough music to fill up 20 GB, or even half of that, then the U2 is better, but if you don't have more than 4 GB of music, might as well go with the Nano. The Nano also holds photos I think, though the screen is even smaller than regular iPods so I don't see the point.

if you want a con of the u2 ipod, the battery life blows
(if i just shuffle all songs, i'll get maybe 6-7 hours, if i play 1 entire album then jump to another and so forth, i maybe get 5).

from what ive read of the newer nano and of course the 5g ipod, their battery life is quite better.

You should only use the battery from an ipod when it is absolutely necessary to do so. Always have it plugged/docked when the opportunity to do so is there (home/car/office) instead of going to the battery. You follow this and you will not make battery life an issue.

Just purchased a Bose Sounddock for my over a year old U2 ipod. :drool:

It was a close call between the iGroove and the Sounddock. In the end, it was all about playing live U2 bootlegs more than anything else and the compression manner that Bose Sounddock looks after a raw bootleg is amazing (raising the lows and lowering the highs). The iGroove I tested is fantastic too. It stays true to the recording (which is excellent for studio recordings). My bootlegs, however, did not benefit so much with the "true" sound approach.

yeah, U2 iPods are discontinued, so it would be a cool thing to have. but from an outsiders point of view, the new video iPod is really nice because it plays video, has 30 gigs, and holds photos as well. i think it's also thinner..if that matters any. it's true that battery life on the U2 ipod sucks. 2 of my friends' u2 ipods died within 9 months...it just wouldn't turn on anymore, even when the battery was replaced...
but i would still get the U2 one, though ;]

I'd go for the iPod Video over the nano, it depends on the size of your music collection and what you're using it for I guess.

I have the strange feeling whenever I hold a nano I'm going to break it though

I'd just go for the 30 gig iPod. When my U2 iPod dies, that's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to send it in to get the battery replaced. That baby has sentimental value. I had it in my pocket when I met The Edge. :drool:

The Nano's worthless if you have a lot of music on your computer. I'd need several Nanos to hold my library.

once the u2 Ipod battery dies (people say about 9 months or so), is it toast? can't you recharge it somehow? i think you can recharge the nano, so this would mean that the Nano is far better in terms of life, if the u2 ipod has a limited battery life.

GibsonGirl said:
I'd just go for the 30 gig iPod. When my U2 iPod dies, that's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to send it in to get the battery replaced. That baby has sentimental value. I had it in my pocket when I met The Edge. :drool:

The Nano's worthless if you have a lot of music on your computer. I'd need several Nanos to hold my library.

I'd go for a video one too if I didn't have my U2 iPod. I also had it in my pocket when "BONO! BONO! BONO! BONO!" happened. Even though I've replaced it since then. :mad:

I don't see how anyone could survive with 2 gigs. I mean, maybe you can, but you'd have to be selective over your music.
My brother bought the 60 gig video iPod. That's overdoing it.

Be careful buying it online. Is it being resold by someone? The warranty my be all out of whack and you will more than likely need it.
I'd also invest in the Apple Care protection plan which extends your warranty. It's $60, but when, not if, when your battery dies you can get it replaced free of charge instead of the $90 fee. Something ridiculous like that.

can you add to the Nano's 2 GIG memory? can you 'upgrade' it? or would that be just buying a different Ipod altogether?
iPods aren't upgradable. You'd need to buy a different one.

marik said:
can you add to the Nano's 2 GIG memory? can you 'upgrade' it? or would that be just buying a different Ipod altogether?

No, even though the technology is different than the hard drive iPods (and better, IMO), you can't add to it. 2GB is a lot of flash memory. Right now I haven't seen any sort of flash drive available with more than 4GB.

Like I said before, I'd still choose a 2GB nano with flash memory over a 30GB ipod with a hard drive. To me, it's more important to have that type of hardware than 30GB of space. When would you EVER need 30GB of songs at once, especially since the U2 iPod is not video? Your batteries would die for good before you could play through that much music!

There are computer places that will upgrade an iPod's hard drive, but they all seem kind of seedy.

^ and thank you for the link above

can someone explain the battery rechargeability of the nano, and the u2ipod. i figure the u2ipod cannot be recharged and has a one-time life?

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'd go for the iPod Video over the nano, it depends on the size of your music collection and what you're using it for I guess.

I have the strange feeling whenever I hold a nano I'm going to break it though

I agree, I love the iPod video and that is what I will get if and when my U2 iPod dies (but I have the 2 year guarantee). My son has a black iPod video and I swear that thing is soooo sexy, no bigger than a freaking credit card!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Like I said before, I'd still choose a 2GB nano with flash memory over a 30GB ipod with a hard drive. To me, it's more important to have that type of hardware than 30GB of space. When would you EVER need 30GB of songs at once, especially since the U2 iPod is not video? Your batteries would die for good before you could play through that much music!

You're missing the point of it. It's not about being able to listen to your entire music collection from start to finish on one charge. It's about having your entire music collection available so you have a choice of listening to whatever you want when you're out. Limiting yourself to something like 2GB when your collection is 20 GB doesn't make sense if you'd want to have the ability to choose any given song that's in your collection at any given time. Besides, it's a huge pain in the ass changing the music on your iPod in a mass amount....

Carek1230 said:

I agree, I love the iPod video and that is what I will get if and when my U2 iPod dies (but I have the 2 year guarantee). My son has a black iPod video and I swear that thing is soooo sexy, no bigger than a freaking credit card!

It is insanely sexy, and it's holding 1603 photos of U2 right now :drool: I :heart: my new iPod. Photos look amazing on it. Video quality is pretty good though I think it looks a little better if you hold it away from you a bit instead of right up close. And of course the music is great. I put all my U2 albums on lossless just because I can.

Back
Top Bottom