Invisible - Reactions Thread (Do not post song requests - Discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the original Ordinary Love a lot better (not the overrated remix with 2 magic markers and overall loss of dynamics). This song, Invisible, teases with an intro that sounds like Joy Division, but once that main riff starts I'm back in the City of Blinding Lights. Another surging, anthemic U2 song fit for a stadium...in other words, generic sounding U2. I don't know what everyone else is hearing, but this song after 3 listens is nothing special. I think Ordinary Love was a fresh sounding, modern sounding track. And reminded me NOT of Coldplay....this, on the the other hand, does. Sorry to be a downer, but after reading pages and pages of rave reviews I expected to be blown away.

Chris Martin worked on Ordinary Love and it does sound like Coldplay. Remove the wax from your ears. :D

They don't let me hear the full song.... After I downloaded that piece of shit app, they want me to create an account with credit card information to download the full song... Fuck Apple

I think what surprises me are the lyrics; musically it does sound pretty fresh and kind of jumps right out. But I'm impressed by how much I feel that "I'm more than you know/ More than you see here/ More than you let me be" are such a powerful lines.

For once, Bono seems to take the center stage and doesn't disappoint with anything insipid.

"I'm more than you know/ More than you see here/ More than you let me be"

I love it. LOVE it.

I think I may have teared up at that first listen. I was grinning like a fool. And still am. Oh, it's a GOOD day for the fandom.

"You don't see me but you will/I am not invisible." -- new favorite lyrics. :heart:

I liked the original Ordinary Love a lot better (not the overrated remix with 2 magic markers and overall loss of dynamics). This song, Invisible, teases with an intro that sounds like Joy Division, but once that main riff starts I'm back in the City of Blinding Lights. Another surging, anthemic U2 song fit for a stadium...in other words, generic sounding U2. I don't know what everyone else is hearing, but this song after 3 listens is nothing special. I think Ordinary Love was a fresh sounding, modern sounding track. And reminded me NOT of Coldplay....this, on the the other hand, does. Sorry to be a downer, but after reading pages and pages of rave reviews I expected to be blown away.

Could not agree more. Typical interference reaction really. The song is so disappointing, and after five years of waiting, this is all that they could produce. Think of classics like Ultraviolet, Love is Blindness, UTEOTW etc and compare them to this..Have almost lost all hope in u2's ability to produce classics like they used to.:down::down::down:

Just as a reminder of what is probably likely:

For those wondering about it's wider impact, remember, this is not meant to be the Big Launch Single for the new album. It may have initially never been destined to be a single of any sort. It might have been drafted into this position because (a) the songs they do have lined up for singles are not really suitable for the purpose (e.g. if that song has lyrics that are a bit overtly sexual - not the right tone for an AIDS campaign), or (b) they were originally going to use the Lead Single in this as the kick off, but the album was pushed back to June and they want to hold fire on it.

There's also been the suggestion (confirmed?) that this is gone after this 24hr release. It won't continue to be for sale or available afterwards. That means they're unlikely to continue pushing it and unlikely to care if it's not a 'hit'. In fact, the reason why they might not be continuing to sell is because this is a Plan B after the album was pushed, and while they couldn't cancel this, they also don't want it too be too big and muddle that launch. It's immediate job is to get 2m downloads for RED and get people talking about and anticipating a new U2 album. It likely is also a weather balloon for all of the new material. It doesn't need to be HUGE huge, just get a positive reaction, some positive talk, etc.

I would bet decent money this is the opening track for the new album. The way it opens up more patiently than a Big Single does (like most U2 album openers do), the loose 'journey' theme (as most U2 album openers have). It's why it's not trying too hard to make you like it, as the coming Lead Single almost certainly will. It's also the best context for people here to consider when listening - This isn't the catchy single. This isn't the jaw-dropper, this isn't the new-classic stadium anthem. This introduces the album. It's Zoo Station, it's No Line... Are you in?

As with all U2 Edits, extend the intro, extend Edge in the middle, extend the outro - that's probably where they've chopped.

^^
While I respect all the naysayers, of course it's not going to appeal to everyone, sometimes I just don't understand your expectations.

If Pop is your favourite U2 record, you might be disappointed, but if you as much as liked their output in the last 10 years, I can't see how you can't like this.
But hey, I don't want to argue or anything. Let's hope you'll enjoy the album at least!

I don't understand sometimes what people mean by "sounds like Coldplay". Like, if there's a piano that's automatically Coldplay? If there's a softly sung falsetto note that's automatically Coldplay?

Ordinary Love reminds me more of something the band Fun or Broken Bells or Arcade Fire would do. It sounds like U2 absorbing modern influences.

Invisible has that signature driving rhythm section that sounds lifted from previous U2 songs (COBL, Mercy, Winter) and that Coldplay used to always ape (Clocks, Speed of Sound, etc). And someone else mentioned the Killers...and yes I agree, it sounds like them too.

I'll give it some more listens. Keep hope alive. It HAS only been out for like what, 20 minutes?

One thing is for sure. This is NOT the end of U2. The song is enormous. It's definitely their biggest chance of a hit in a very, very long time.

Oh my gosh, people like it! (Except the guy above me. :sad: )

MY PEOPLE.

:hug::hug::hug:

I can not wait to see what they do with it live. Can. Not. WAIT.

One thing is for sure. This is NOT the end of U2. The song is enormous. It's definitely their biggest chance of a hit in a very, very long time.

It's going to be everywhere. I love it.

The song has been 'officially released' on iTunes, per U2's Facebook page and Guy's Twitter!

@guyoseary Download the #NewU2Song 'Invisible' for FREE now and $1 goes to support @RED's fight against AIDS. smarturl.it/Connect4Red #U2Invisible

Wow the last 30 seconds are from the video. It looks incredible.

Bono is wearing new glasses!!!

TOLD YA!
j/k

ok...the song's somewhat growing on me (the "more than you know" part is awfully pleasing to the ear)

EDGE HAS THE EXPLORER OUT!!!

I knew those light guitar parts sounded like Out of Control! :hyper:

OH SHIT SON.

I am so excited. I got chills seeing those clips from the video. The crowd chanting works well in the context.

The intro is pretty sweet, I dig the Kraftwerk vibe. Musically the song is solid over all, though I wish Edge was being a bit more adventurous.

The changing of the drum part in the chorus doesn't work for me, it kills the momentum.

The song reminds me of the faster songs on October done in they style of Beautiful Day. They're definitely trying for another mega pop anthem. That's not really something you can force...

It's well written, and the full length version is probably a lot better. Still, it's a bit generic. It demolishes Ordinary Love though, so that's a good sign. I like most of NLOTH better though. This is a bit generic and safe, and exactly the kind of thing that a bank would approve of.

I don't know what it is about Bono's singing that bothers me so much. I think it's his pronunciation. He sounds really conscious of what he's singing and trying to sound pretty instead of just going for it. When his voice was great, like on Zooropa, it sounded unforced. It didn't sound like he was trying to sound pretty, he just did. He's got to let loose a bit. He reminds me of one of those actors who are always obviously conscious that they're being filmed.

The vocals are mixed to high. They lyrics are decent. The guitar should be louder because Edge has a pretty cool sound going on in the verse.

6.5/10, but 5/10 on the U2 scale. Catchy but not much to it, either musically or lyrically. It's a song, and it's not bad. U2 should be able to do better than "not bad." They're at their best when getting out of their comfort zone, and they sound pretty comfortable here, so we'll probably get a record that isn't bad but is ultimately forgettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom