Invisible Discussion Thread III (Do not post song requests - discussion only!) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 09:21 PM
Invisible Discussion Thread III (Do not post song requests - discussion only!)

Continue.

Video out on Tuesday. Huzzah!
__________________

corianderstem is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
The Fly
 
lisag71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In the Pits of HELL near Tampa Florida
Posts: 295
Local Time: 12:21 AM
As some were discussing in the old thread, I really like Bono's voice better on Invisible than on most of NLOTH. I can't stand when he's 'screeching' or trying to yell the lyrics.

With that said, Bono's voice is unique and original and when he's singing something with full on emotion he's at his best. What amazes me is that he gives it his all (emotionally) during all live performances even if he doesn't sing perfectly. Seeing other singers in concert, I've noticed that some just kind of go through the motions. That's one thing that makes Bono and U2 unique.
__________________

lisag71 is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 08:21 PM
It makes no sense to me why they would leave such weak vocals on the outro...unless they're purposefully going for that vulnerable vocal sound on the "there is no them..." lyric...to me, it just sounds kind of lazy and unpleasing to the ears...like someone said earlier, it would've taken 10 seconds to just do another take
Rob33 is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
War Child
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 702
Local Time: 12:21 AM
More chart info coming out tonight regarding Invisible's performance. I would say there are some promising signs.

According to Billboard:

Greatest gainer on Rock chart up to number 12.

Debuts at number 28 on Alternative chart.

Debuts at number 13 on Adult Alternative chart.

Debuts at number 27 on mainstream rock chart.

And of course it's my understanding that Billboard does not take into account the millions of people who downloaded it free.

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/81709
U2freakboy is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mrs. Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: pig farming in Bolivia
Posts: 7,321
Local Time: 11:21 PM
I really like Bono, I think he is a swell guy.
Mrs. Garrison is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 379
Local Time: 05:21 AM
Ordinary Love>>>>Invisible

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app
Batfink27 is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,175
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Nice contribution, mate.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,422
Local Time: 04:21 AM
I will correct myself

In the last thread I said there is no auto tune on Bono's vocals on Invisible. After a day of work at the studio, me and a couple of engineers/studio hands listened to it on big monitors.....
There are two words in the first verse where it's almost certainly auto tune....
"I finally found..." that one is defintely raised a bit in pitch.....if you know what to listen for, you can hear the "lift" on the "fi" sound....
and
"When you see me "again"....that thing was probably the most apparent..."a-ga-ay-ay-an".....he was probably both sharp and flat on that whole run...

But, the best vocal in the song, the "All those frozen days...." part, is certainly NOT autotuned....although it's definitely spliced from another take....

This is all nit picky bullshit that only pain in the ass musos like me care about, and to be honest I don't even care, but I don't want to spread disinformation here.

Carry on.
JOFO is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 31,667
Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post

But, the best vocal in the song, the "All those frozen days...." part, is certainly NOT autotuned....although it's definitely spliced from another take....

on another note, that is absolutely the best vocal in the song, and the most moving, and something that Bono can do that no other singer that i can think of can do -- turn emotional pain into spiritual liberation.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,877
Local Time: 12:21 AM
Invisible Discussion Thread III (Do not post song requests - discussion only!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
In the last thread I said there is no auto tune on Bono's vocals on Invisible. After a day of work at the studio, me and a couple of engineers/studio hands listened to it on big monitors.....
There are two words in the first verse where it's almost certainly auto tune....
"I finally found..." that one is defintely raised a bit in pitch.....if you know what to listen for, you can hear the "lift" on the "fi" sound....
and
"When you see me "again"....that thing was probably the most apparent..."a-ga-ay-ay-an".....he was probably both sharp and flat on that whole run...

But, the best vocal in the song, the "All those frozen days...." part, is certainly NOT autotuned....although it's definitely spliced from another take....

This is all nit picky bullshit that only pain in the ass musos like me care about, and to be honest I don't even care, but I don't want to spread disinformation here.

Carry on.
I'm glad you clarified the areas that you felt you heard it. I heard these areas myself but didnt feel like arguing with someone who does it for a living. Then again I have nearfields and have dabbled a bit myself so I may not be an average listener.

The point of pro auto-tuning is pitch correction in a few places to tweak an already great vocalist's takes, not fixing every single thing they sang or having them end up sounding like a robot. If the average listener using common equipment can tell you've used auto tuning, you either done it deliberately as a stylistic choice, you haven't done it right, or you have a singer that is hopeless. Or some combination of the above lol.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!


 



gvox is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
jeevey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rue St. Divine
Posts: 4,096
Local Time: 11:21 PM
Thanks for that, JOFO!
jeevey is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,119
Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2freakboy View Post
More chart info coming out tonight regarding Invisible's performance. I would say there are some promising signs.

According to Billboard:

Greatest gainer on Rock chart up to number 12.

Debuts at number 28 on Alternative chart.

Debuts at number 13 on Adult Alternative chart.

Debuts at number 27 on mainstream rock chart.

And of course it's my understanding that Billboard does not take into account the millions of people who downloaded it free.

Chart Highlights: U2 Makes History On Alternative Songs With 'Invisible' | Billboard
I wonder is this enough 'relevance' for them? Wonder how they are measuring it.
AndrewCowley is offline  
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
MissVelvetDress_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Posts: 25,776
Local Time: 12:21 AM
alright, it is Tuesday, where is the video!?
MissVelvetDress_75 is offline  
Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 05:21 AM
Right, Tuesday morning. No video

I have to go to work without having seen the video now. This day is screwed.
last unicorn is offline  
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #15
Refugee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,317
Local Time: 11:21 PM
Maybe they're on a US schedule. :/
__________________

rosephile is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com