Invisible Discussion Thread III (Do not post song requests - discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As some were discussing in the old thread, I really like Bono's voice better on Invisible than on most of NLOTH. I can't stand when he's 'screeching' or trying to yell the lyrics.

With that said, Bono's voice is unique and original and when he's singing something with full on emotion he's at his best. What amazes me is that he gives it his all (emotionally) during all live performances even if he doesn't sing perfectly. Seeing other singers in concert, I've noticed that some just kind of go through the motions. That's one thing that makes Bono and U2 unique.

It makes no sense to me why they would leave such weak vocals on the outro...unless they're purposefully going for that vulnerable vocal sound on the "there is no them..." lyric...to me, it just sounds kind of lazy and unpleasing to the ears...like someone said earlier, it would've taken 10 seconds to just do another take :shrug:

More chart info coming out tonight regarding Invisible's performance. I would say there are some promising signs.

According to Billboard:

Greatest gainer on Rock chart up to number 12.

Debuts at number 28 on Alternative chart.

Debuts at number 13 on Adult Alternative chart.

Debuts at number 27 on mainstream rock chart.

And of course it's my understanding that Billboard does not take into account the millions of people who downloaded it free.

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/81709

I will correct myself

In the last thread I said there is no auto tune on Bono's vocals on Invisible. After a day of work at the studio, me and a couple of engineers/studio hands listened to it on big monitors.....
There are two words in the first verse where it's almost certainly auto tune....
"I finally found..." that one is defintely raised a bit in pitch.....if you know what to listen for, you can hear the "lift" on the "fi" sound....
and
"When you see me "again"....that thing was probably the most apparent..."a-ga-ay-ay-an".....he was probably both sharp and flat on that whole run...

But, the best vocal in the song, the "All those frozen days...." part, is certainly NOT autotuned....although it's definitely spliced from another take....

This is all nit picky bullshit that only pain in the ass musos like me care about, and to be honest I don't even care, but I don't want to spread disinformation here.

Carry on.

But, the best vocal in the song, the "All those frozen days...." part, is certainly NOT autotuned....although it's definitely spliced from another take....

on another note, that is absolutely the best vocal in the song, and the most moving, and something that Bono can do that no other singer that i can think of can do -- turn emotional pain into spiritual liberation.

In the last thread I said there is no auto tune on Bono's vocals on Invisible. After a day of work at the studio, me and a couple of engineers/studio hands listened to it on big monitors.....
There are two words in the first verse where it's almost certainly auto tune....
"I finally found..." that one is defintely raised a bit in pitch.....if you know what to listen for, you can hear the "lift" on the "fi" sound....
and
"When you see me "again"....that thing was probably the most apparent..."a-ga-ay-ay-an".....he was probably both sharp and flat on that whole run...

This is all nit picky bullshit that only pain in the ass musos like me care about, and to be honest I don't even care, but I don't want to spread disinformation here.

Carry on.

I'm glad you clarified the areas that you felt you heard it. I heard these areas myself but didnt feel like arguing with someone who does it for a living. Then again I have nearfields and have dabbled a bit myself so I may not be an average listener.

The point of pro auto-tuning is pitch correction in a few places to tweak an already great vocalist's takes, not fixing every single thing they sang or having them end up sounding like a robot. If the average listener using common equipment can tell you've used auto tuning, you either done it deliberately as a stylistic choice, you haven't done it right, or you have a singer that is hopeless. Or some combination of the above lol.

More chart info coming out tonight regarding Invisible's performance. I would say there are some promising signs.

According to Billboard:

Greatest gainer on Rock chart up to number 12.

Debuts at number 28 on Alternative chart.

Debuts at number 13 on Adult Alternative chart.

Debuts at number 27 on mainstream rock chart.

And of course it's my understanding that Billboard does not take into account the millions of people who downloaded it free.

Chart Highlights: U2 Makes History On Alternative Songs With 'Invisible' | Billboard
I wonder is this enough 'relevance' for them? Wonder how they are measuring it.

This song sure is a "grower"...and I'm starting to really appreciate the Kraftwerk influence...

Excited for the new album!

Now where the F is that video?!

Still not a fan of the production. Far too "clipped" and lifeless (by U2 standards). There's a fine line between being influenced by Kraftwerk/early Depeche Mode, and imitating that era of electronica. Invisible veers more towards the latter.

Just about to change to February 12 here in Australia and still no video! The liars! :lol:
I figured they'd be using a US or Ireland timeframe though...

So #Invisible-video will be available at 6 pm (German Time) at tape.tv - don't know if U2 > Home will show it earlier #u2

:doh: Again. Why wait???

Why not just drop it and be done already?!?!?

:waiting:

I just know that most videos I've been waiting for over the past year or so have all been put up at around noon eastern. I'm sure they have research that shows them the best time of day to release it to maximize views.

Anyone? Full version or (Red) edit? The video? Do we know anything about that?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom