Invisible Discussion Thread II (Do not post song requests - discussion only!) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
asr
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:05 PM
Forbes review of 'Invisible'

U2's 'Invisible' Super Bowl Release: First Listen - Forbes

Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Forbes review of 'Invisible'

I like it but I don't want to like it so I have to pretend that I don't really like it but I really do like it.

Please think I'm cool.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Yeah that was a shitty review.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:05 AM
I don't see what's so objectionable about the review at all. Reasonably kind and accurate, really. I'm expecting far harsher things to be published soon, as is the lot of practically any U2 release now. And, of course, effusive things too, but mainly from U2's "captive" mags - the kinds who'll throw five stars at whatever they do. Not naming names, Rolling Stone.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-03-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Haunted by the indie ghosts of the past 4 years? How the hell is that an accurate description of the sound on display here?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:05 PM
There's nothing wrong with that review.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I like it but I don't want to like it so I have to pretend that I don't really like it but I really do like it.

Please think I'm cool.
Forbes, that hipster bible.

Actually, it’s really not that bad a review. I really like Invisible, but it’s certainly not a dramatic departure (it’s a little bit different, but I think people declaring this the arrival of U2 4.0 are getting well ahead of themselves). He’s basically saying it’s very U2-ey so you’ll like it if you like that sort of thing, and if you don’t, you probably won’t. Which… is obvious. It’s a really lazy review, not a bad one.

And as an aside, lord knows what is really going on with their planning/strategy/timing, but I’d like to think that there is something deliberate about ‘returning’ with something quite safe like this before launching the album off something a bit more different/challenging/risky. If whatever is destined to be the lead single is a dramatic departure, they are no doubt very gun-shy after Boots – change itself is risky, plus probably not so confident in their own judgement - would make sense that they might want to pad it’s landing a bit.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I think he points to a number of things that have not been in U2's music, even if they have been around in music for a while (the synth and sparse drum stuff especially). There is enough here to indicate a huge change for U2. Those two elements alone are very left field FOR THEM. Some proper German efficiency in those beats, and yea, the chorus explodes a bit into some U2ish grandeur, but so what? Even in their past re-inventions, they have retained some key U2 hallmarks -

War to TUF, Edge's signature muted strumming patterns stayed (see Surrender, Two Hearts, Wire and Indian Summer Sky) -

Rattle & Hum to Achtung retained a fair chunk of God Pt II drum and bass -

Pop to ATYCLB, very little changed in terms of structure and instrumentation, just the effects and atmosphere. When I Look at the World intro and Gone have some shared lineage, just as the big chorus vibe of Gone and LNOE carry through to Beautiful Day and Walk On.

This band is still the same band - but there is plenty there to suggest that they are done with U2 3.0, and they want to feed their creative souls a bit more. A guy can hope...
Old 02-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Here's a short piece from the Guardian:

U2 – Invisible: New music | Music | theguardian.com
Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #10
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Haunted by the indie ghosts of the past 4 years? How the hell is that an accurate description of the sound on display here?
Some of the synths and drum machines definitely share at least a little with the synth pop revival in the indie world...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

That amounts to a 5-star review from the Guardian (or UK press in general). Their standard U2 articles are more along the lines of: “Fresh from the gates of hell, worlds worst band U2 and their fuckhead lead shouter return with more overblown bullshit for 45 year old suburban middle managers who don't actually like music.”
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #12
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
That amounts to a 5-star review from the Guardian (or UK press in general). Their standard U2 articles are more along the lines of: “Fresh from the gates of hell, worlds worst band U2 and their fuckhead lead shouter return with more overblown bullshit for 45 year old suburban middle managers who don't actually like music.”

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #13
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Here's a short piece from the Guardian:

U2 – Invisible: New music | Music | theguardian.com
I'm surprised, it's not that bad.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
you think THAT's bad? i dare you to venture into the Guardian comments section!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #15
The Male

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Two major websites are writing entire articles about one song.

That's praise in and of itself. I'm not used to seeing single reviews on Forbes and the Guardian.