Invisible Discussion Thread II (Do not post song requests - discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only bummer about this and recent interviews is that Bono is inspired by thinking back on experiences from 30 years ago as an unknown going to London. Trying to contrast that with how bands like Arcade Fire are writing and being inspired by what's going on today

Not making a judgement that one is better than the other but if the band is striving for relevance, perhaps the lifestyles they live today due to great wealth and success make it harder for them to relate to THIS moment and force them to look back to be inspired musically

gotta work with what inspires you.. cant force it.

Well, I think it is interesting that Bono used the word "Insecurity" as the "working title" (obisously it is not a real working title). I guess it says something about their (or at least Bono's) state of mind.

Zane! Don't talk over Breathe! Reminds me of how the Radio 1 tag will forever "grace" the 3rd version of Electrical Storm.

jeesus zane is ANNOYING!!

i hope B-man punches him when he sees him!

Bah, "a few more months to work on it" means done in a few months, out a few months later?

Bah, I say.

BAH.

Zane doesn't believe the O2 thing for a moment, probably because that rumor has come up every year since the opening of the place.

Bono: We want to start touring INDOORS soon. Talks about playing the O2 arenas.

I didn't quite get what Zane found so funny about that, but then again, I didn't understand half of what he was saying :huh:

U2 into Donald Glover, not prepared for that segue. Especially because it still makes me want to cry about Community.

I don't get how he can say (multiple times now) Invisible is a sneak-peak of the album if there's still apparently months of work to go. Couldn't the sound and themes of the album change significantly?

C'mon...Bono was so coy about the new album...I didn't believe anything he said about it...fake working title...a few more months to finish...I'm not buying any of it. I think something might happen sooner than later...it reeks of a modern, covert marketing strategy.

Bono: We want to start touring INDOORS soon. Talks about playing the O2 arenas.

I didn't quite get what Zane found so funny about that, but then again, I didn't understand half of what he was saying :huh:

Bono making out the O2 is intimate and Zane was taking the piss because it isn't.

But I'm going on record now. I am not...fucking NOT...chanting "There is no them, only us" at the concert. No, no, no, no, no, fucking no. The line must be drawn here, no further, and it's one line I won't cross.

Well, I refused to wear that dumb mask on 360, and I didn't get thrown out, so I think you'll be okay if you refuse to sing along.

Re: the lyrics

I'm rarely all that interested in the lyrics (unless they're really good), and even with U2, they're usually the last thing I pay attention to in a song.

With the context of it being about his relationship with his father, I have to say I was really impressed by the lyrics and even find them rather moving. There's a lot of pain there.

As far as them/us, I think that shifts to be a little more open to interpretation. Maybe it's a general "kumbaya," maybe it's to a lover, maybe it's Bono to his other band mates, having left home and their families to strike out for their fortunes.

He talked about the song already...pretty much confirming it involves their relationship.

"It opens with, 'It's like the room just cleared of smoke/I didn't even want the heart you broke/It's yours to keep/You just might need one,'" he says. "Then it goes, 'I finally found my real name/I won't be me when you see me again/No, I won't be my father's son.'"

Bono pauses. "That's a heavy thing, I realize, as a father myself — to not take your family name, you know? I'm known as Bono. And I realize now that all the angst and rage I had at that time," during his youth, "must have really hurt (my father). I thought my family was the problem, but I was the problem. A typical thing."

I'm not sure I'd draw the same conclusions from his comment that you are, but whatever. It's one reason why I said trying to interpret rock lyrics is mostly a waste of time. I'm not particularly concerned with what the song is supposed to be about. But if invisible is just another song about parental agnst, that would be pretty dissapointing. The best lyrics let different people get different things out of them, and the lyrics to this one suggest to me it's about more than him and dad.

Back
Top Bottom