Invisible Discussion Thread II (Do not post song requests - discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hm, I've always thought the Invisibly lyrics work pretty well in context of a relationship/break up story. It's interesting to hear both the personal "migration" story and the father-son-references from Bono. There's also some reference to his activism in the lyrics and to his dilemma of being a global superstar first and a human being second. I like this, it has many different lyrical layers and I think that's a good thing. Being a writer, I'm always interested in lyrics.

The edge will be on with no whiley from 2 this afternoon on BBC radio 2. Not sure what time he will be in though!

Sent from my HTC One X using U2 Interference mobile app

Does anyone know whether they are in London at the moment then or will he be phoning in? My place of work is literally 2 mins away the BBC building :hyper:

well, they CAN phone in from anywhere in the world these days, you know, modern technology and all that :D

So....if U2's plan was to see the reaction to Invisible first and then decide what to do with the DM material, I would have to think they'd be pleased with the reaction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

In the Australian store it is $2.19, with $1.81 going to the Global Fund. Where does the other $0.38 go?

Apple. I’m not sure if this represents the real split, but Apple really sting record co’s and artists. As part of the U2 ad/iPod deal (remember insisting no money changed hands?) U2 got a ridiculously favourable deal from Apple on revenue share on their material. So it looks like Universal/U2 are donating their share, Apple might not be (or they are donating the profit/share and this remaining figure represents some sort of minimum guarantee or technical fee that sits beyond that in their contract).

Invisible is for sale! U2 are not total morons!

Paul McGuiness will/would be relieved :lol:

I'm glad it doesn't just disappear.

Since I haven't been able to get online since yesterday evening I don't know about the free download. How did that work out? Do we have any final numbers?

Because what this song does do, at least from a production stand point, is borrow. You will hear bits of programmed drumming throughout the song which feel reminiscent of a thinner, drier aesthetic—maybe the electronic sound Radiohead helped popularize over the last decade and a half.

yes clearly having an electronic sound = stealing from radiohead

even though Kid A came out 7 years after Zooropa.

Invisible reminds me of new wave more than anything tbh

I really dig the instrumentals and the '80s vibe. The verses and chorus sound like some early 2000s b-sides. Fine, but ..

Wouldn't be the first debut track from a new U2 album that had to grow on me.

Wouldn't be the first debut track from a new U2 album that had to grow on me.

yep - it's much less immediate a song than your Vertigos, Elevations, etc.. reminds me of Beautiful Day in that sense.. it was a long time before that song really unfolded for me..

In the context of the band going to break London, I think the "there's no them" line works on a much more egotistical level. They are redefining their identity as they leave home, rejecting the sense of self that they (or he) had among people who knew them as well as the one they are pegged with trying to break into the new world, and becoming "us", U2 as we know them. I read it as using the band for self-definition, becoming that clan that Eno spoke of in FTSD. Of course the song has multiple levels, but I think as Bono explained this version of the lyric in the making of video, reading the line as about the world's dispossessed doesn't make a lot of sense. Incidentally, I really hope the line he quoted about being on the train "sleeping next to you" is on the album cut. I loved that.

don't shoot me but overall i'm very disappointed with 'invisible'. i'm no fanboi but arcade fire take 3yrs and come back with monster sounds that is 'reflektor'. u2 5yrs and this is what they're coming up with? when zane played 'breathe' last night on radio 1, 5yrs on and even that still sounds much much fresher than 'invisible'!

i really hope invisible is not a 'sneek peak' into the sounds on the forthcoming lp.

i hope you are right earnie. i might only have a few posts but i've been with this band since '84 and want them to still be relevant in a big way :love:

Invisible's at 140 on the Australian iTunes chart at the moment, 5 places above Ordinary Love.

Whiley mentions an 'exclusive, probably' re: Edge. Take from it what you will.

Back
Top Bottom