Intressting reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker

"On a side note, I have to disagree with the person above who
described Bono of U2 as a baritone. No way! He's definitely a tenor, and a high one at that. On 'Pride in the Name of Love,' that's a high B he's hitting. In fact, the whole chorus takes place between the E above middle C and the high B Only a tenor could sing consistently in that range. Then, on 'Bad,' Bono actually hits a high C# when he sings the words 'wide awake.' It's strained and gravelly, but boy is it high.
On the other hand, those songs are from the mid-1980s. Bono doesn't sing in that range as much anymore."

Well I knew that the chours in Pride is high, but that high :)
I saw the UF documentary recently and when you look at Bono in the studio singing the chours his realy push his voice to the maximum. He lost his voice in the stduio that day.

On the other hand, those songs are from the mid-1980s. Bono
doesn't sing in that range as much anymore."

Guess he havent listen shows on Vertigo tour :)

Interesting. I saw Bono described as both a tenor and a baritone before...

I think Bono was a tenor in the eighties, but I'm not sure he's been one really from the early ninties onwards. I'm no expect on the technicalities of singing but I think its clear that the huge range he had to sing songs like Pride and Bad has been lost over time, its become more restricted. In The Joshua Tree documentary Lanois says to Bono he's a tenor when listening to ISHFWILF, but I don't think Bono could sing the song like that anymore. But as I said I'm no expert.

Freddie Mercury's voice changed quite a bit over the years. In the 70's he had a very high, almost feminine voice, but in the eighties it became far more gravelly and gutsy. This was partly due to him being a pretty heavy smoker, he always said he liked the sound of his voice through smoking. The result was that he lost range but gained more power, he was able to really belt stuff out more. Freddie was a great singer all through his life even when he was dying, and its strange how (unlike Bono) smoking didn't really seem to damage his voice.

DevilsShoes said:
I think Bono was a tenor in the eighties, but I'm not sure he's been one really from the early ninties onwards. I'm no expect on the technicalities of singing but I think its clear that the huge range he had to sing songs like Pride and Bad has been lost over time, its become more restricted. In The Joshua Tree documentary Lanois says to Bono he's a tenor when listening to ISHFWILF, but I don't think Bono could sing the song like that anymore. But as I said I'm no expert.

He was definitely a tenor in the 80's. I think he was more an baritone in the 90's. Now in the recent years he is a tenor:

- Miss Sarajevo

- SYCMIOYO

- High C on Bad(Wide Awake) 2005-12-04 - Boston

- Is it a C?????? on WGRYWH 2006-12-09 - Hawaii :
w w w .send space .com/file/4pmm1t
(its in 3:04 in the soundclip)

There are two more things in the clip I can't figure out, how high is the "keep my AAAAAAAAAAARMS down below" (time 1:29) and the falsetto in (time: 1:41).

DevilsShoes said:
Freddie Mercury's voice changed quite a bit over the years. In the 70's he had a very high, almost feminine voice, but in the eighties it became far more gravelly and gutsy. This was partly due to him being a pretty heavy smoker, he always said he liked the sound of his voice through smoking. The result was that he lost range but gained more power, he was able to really belt stuff out more. Freddie was a great singer all through his life even when he was dying, and its strange how (unlike Bono) smoking didn't really seem to damage his voice.

I think its individual how you affect by smoking. But Bono's voice didnt only change because of that. He screamed alot in the 80's, to much drinkin and talks a lot.

Freddie was also a schooled singer and knew how to not worn out his voice . Bono isnt schooled.

Last edited:
COBL_04 said:
Yeah. Red Hill Mining Town, alot of the October stuff.

Well didnt even sang RHMT live in the 80's either. He never hold the Pride chours in the 80's but he did on Vertigo tour. He had problems singing Wide Awake on Bad in the 80's. On couple of versions from Vertigo tour he sang it three times! in the song.

Bono sang Tomorrow 96 and did it well. Well Bonos voice is a lot better now then 96 :)

The problem with some of the 80's songs is that there is a lof of screaming... Singing GPII, Unchained Melody, Spanish Eyes... isnt the best to do often on a tour.

Sure his was more capable to scream higher with his voice. But these day he is a better singer. Almost every tour had problems with his voice. There is no Vertigo show where his voice is completley off. He has learned how to use his voice better. Just take his falsetto on 5th leg of Vertigo. When he sang Highway to hell and the "Child" in MW he showed that he is very near ZooTV.
Well he could start to use more often but that would probably worn out his voice. He has also learn how to hold the notes for longer times. wich also Vertigo tour was a proof of(l'amoure 11 sec, sing 8 sec, touch 5 sec...).

Peterrr, sorry to be a pain, but - only if it's not too much trouble - would you mind posting a link to this? Thank-you so much if you can!

I recently read in the Propaganda book that U2 didn't play Red Hill Mining Town a lot in the 80s because it was too difficult to sing for Bono.

Also, Bono said that most of the 80s he was simply "shouting" at the audience instead of singing, that he only became more conscious of his voice and of himself as a singer in the late 80s.

I agree with most of what Peter is saying, especially about his Vertigo voice. Bono may have lost much in vocal range, but he has gained a lot in terms of technique, and in recent years, especially during the last Vertigo tour leg, his voice has re-gained a lot of power. Sometimes when I listen to some of these shows, it really blows me away.

yeah i have to agree with baritone in the 90's, he could just simply talk a song, and it would sound amazing. He had a nice sounding voice, deep and warm, but he lost range.

AchtungGirl219 said:

Peterrr, sorry to be a pain, but - only if it's not too much trouble - would you mind posting a link to this? Thank-you so much if you can!

You have it in this clip:

On Boston 2005-12-04 he clearly unmistakably nails the high C. Also the 2005-09-14 - Toronto version of Bad is in the clip, it sounds to me like most of the time he's hitting B's in the Toronto version but I think he reaches the C. He definitely hits the high C on several performances of Bad quite cleanly and then holds the Bb right under it for a looong time

Also on the 3rd leg of Vertigo I think he also yells out the high C on the one performance of angel of harlem.

And I also think that he hit the high C in WGRYWH on a Dublin show on Vertigo tour.

Last edited:
last unicorn said:
I recently read in the Propaganda book that U2 didn't play Red Hill Mining Town a lot in the 80s because it was too difficult to sing for Bono.

To be more accurate, they didn't play it once.

I'm sure they try every song before and then decide which songs to go with, like you can see with the Acrobat recording.

That might very well be the reason that Bono couldn't sing it very well, considering that the high notes are similar to Unforgettable Fire (correct me if I'm wrong), and he had problems hitting these during Joshua Tree.

Maybe they planned to skip it anyways as it didn't turn out as what they intended it to be. I've heard several times that they thought of Red Hill Mining Town as being the song of the miners, but when the album came out no one wanted to be reminded of the strike anymore.

So they maybe went with the occasional Springhil Mining Disaster instead.
But that's just a guess.

Peterrrrr said:

There are two more things in the clip I can't figure out, how high is the "keep my AAAAAAAAAAARMS down below" (time 1:29) and the falsetto in (time: 1:41).

Anyone who wants to help me? :)

Peter, thanks for uploading your compilation of Bono voice moments.

What's that very first part of your audio clip, where is that from?

Peterrrrr said:

Anyone who wants to help me? :)

? :)

Is here anyone who have articles and qutoes from Bono when he talks about his voice?

The first article Bono talks about how smoking has effected his voice:

'Time was when pop stars were expected to ingest large amounts of dubious substances as part of their lifestyle in the world of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

But U2 lead singer Bono, one of Ireland's biggest stars, has penitently apologised for smoking a single cigarette - and that in a hotel owned by his band.

He momentarily forgot, he explained, about the Irish smoking ban.

The news of his tobacco transgression has raised many smiles in Ireland, where the ban has been almost universally hailed as a major success since it was brought several months ago.

Bono's apology is seen as demonstrating the new reality that smoking in pubs, hotels and restaurants is very much a thing of the past, with the Irish public responding almost instantly to the argument that smoking in workplaces is wrong.

The illicit cigarette was lit up by the singer, whose real name is Paul Hewson, late at night in his band's elegant hotel, the Clarence, in the centre of Dublin. He was in the company of a Californian band, the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

He explained: "It was the wee small hours. I was in the company of people from out of town who didn't know about the ban and for a moment nor did I. I was quickly reminded by the staff and a few friends. I apologised then and I apologise now."

The authorities report that 97 per cent of the premises visited by anti-smoking inspectors in the first month of the ban were found to be complying with the regulation.

The early signs are that pubs and restaurants have not, as some of them feared, lost significant business because of the ban. Around one-quarter of the population of the Irish Republic are said to be smokers.

Many used the introduction of the ban as a spur to help them give up smoking.

Little huddles of smokers have now become a familiar sight in the doorways of Irish bars as customers nip outside for an al fresco cigarette.

This is not the first time that Bono has landed in trouble over cigarettes. Some years ago he had a nose, throat and ear operation to clear blocked sinuses, doctors reportedly warning him that smoking could worsen the condition.

His fans believe that smoking alters the Bono voice. He himself is on record as saying: "It's dumb to smoke, and it really changed my voice, and I lost the high register, and I lost the ability to fly as a singer. I had a lot of complications with my voice anyway. The doctor told me I couldn't smoke."

http://au.launch.yahoo.com/041219/10/2j25.html: In this article Bono talks about finding his voice again

Hope this helps. :)

The links not working so I pasted the article instead.

U2 front man Bono believes his ever-strengthening voice is a "gift" from his late father. The singer has amazed other musicians with the increased resonance of his singing, which he attributes to the 2001 death of his dad Bob Hewson of cancer. Bono says, "I seem to have found this other voice. And I've had problems with my voice these last few years. "It would come to me in concert, in the 80s. I had a very big voice but I didn't know how to use it really and I didn't have the sensitivity. I was sort of shouting. I learnt to whisper towards the end of the 80s and 90s and now I feel like I've got my voice back with my big notes, and now I know what to do with it. "I wondered where I got this voice, and people around me, who I care about, asked me. "(Producer) Daniel Lanois said, 'Where d'you get the voice from?' And Jimmy Iovine from Interscope said the same thing. "And the only thing I could think of, I like to think that when somebody you love leaves you and passes away, they give you a gift and not just in the will." (wenn)

DevilsShoes said:
The links not working so I pasted the article instead.

U2 front man Bono believes his ever-strengthening voice is a "gift" from his late father. The singer has amazed other musicians with the increased resonance of his singing, which he attributes to the 2001 death of his dad Bob Hewson of cancer. Bono says, "I seem to have found this other voice. And I've had problems with my voice these last few years. "It would come to me in concert, in the 80s. I had a very big voice but I didn't know how to use it really and I didn't have the sensitivity. I was sort of shouting. I learnt to whisper towards the end of the 80s and 90s and now I feel like I've got my voice back with my big notes, and now I know what to do with it. "I wondered where I got this voice, and people around me, who I care about, asked me. "(Producer) Daniel Lanois said, 'Where d'you get the voice from?' And Jimmy Iovine from Interscope said the same thing. "And the only thing I could think of, I like to think that when somebody you love leaves you and passes away, they give you a gift and not just in the will." (wenn)

Thanks! Very intressting. :) If someon got more just post :)

I cannot find any exact quotes from written sources now, but Bono has basically said the same about his father's death and his new improved voice on many occassions during the Vertigo tour and other performances, like the Brooklyn Bridge concert and also during several interviews. I think he even introduced SYCMOYO at the 2005 Grammys that way, but I'd have to give it a listen to be sure about it.

BTW, I have been listening to a lot of live stuff recently that they've been doing between the Elevation and the Vertigo tour, around 2003 und 2004, and in most of these performances, Bono's voice is really great. It's interesting to hear how it was continually improving. I especially like to listen to accoustic performances because they really show how strong his voice has become.

Peterrrrr said:

"keep my AAAAAAAAAAARMS" is a B4 and the falsetto is E5.

We talked long ago about Night and Day where Bono sings a G5 in falsetto and I thought it was his highest note ever. That was a studio version. Now I wonder if E5 is the highest note he has sung live.

The man is definately a tenor.

beachball said:

"keep my AAAAAAAAAAARMS" is a B4 and the falsetto is E5.

We talked long ago about Night and Day where Bono sings a G5 in falsetto and I thought it was his highest note ever. That was a studio version. Now I wonder if E5 is the highest note he has sung live.

The man is definately a tenor.

:drool:

I uploaded I file with some good voice performences by Bono

w w w .send space .com/file/6t2zpe

Here are some stong falsettos that are in the file:

1989-12-26 - Dublin - WTSHNN
In the end of the song Bono pull of an amazing falsetto, how high?

1992-06-15 - Amsterdam - MW
At the end of the song Bono does an amazing screaming falsetto, must hear. How high?

Bono - Save The Children
In the end of the song a beautiful is a falsetto

Other amazing performences in the file

1986-06-15 - East Rutherford - Bad
One of the best versions ever one of the highlights in Bonos career.

1986-06-15 - East Rutherford - SBS
Do you think that the R&H version is the best one? Think again, Bono blows away all other version in vocal performences with this one.

1993-08-28 - Dublin - Bad
An amazing version, I like the sound he got when he sings "faaade faaaaaade" in the seond part of the song.

1992-02-29 - Lakeland - EBTTRT
The best version of the song, Bono sings it like he does in the stuido version and also in the middle of the song he goes wild, we can call it a "lovetown version" of the song :)

1997 Mexico - New Years Day
One of the best versions of the song, this version is the unedited version and also you can hear his voice more then on the video version wich bring out how good his sings the "say its true"... line.

Vertigo tour - Amazing Grace
Bono sings a snippet

1984-11-21 - Dortmund - The Eletric Co
Bono pulls of an amazing note on the Amazing Grace snippet.

2005-10-29 - Dallas - Angel Of Harlem
Havent listen to this one yet, have no speakers for the moment in the computer Im standin with, but I think this is the version he pulls of a C.

Peterrrrr said:

:drool:

I uploaded I file with some good voice performences by Bono

w w w .send space .com/file/6t2zpe

Here are some stong falsettos that are in the file:

1989-12-26 - Dublin - WTSHNN
In the end of the song Bono pull of an amazing falsetto, how high?

1992-06-15 - Amsterdam - MW
At the end of the song Bono does an amazing screaming falsetto, must hear. How high?

Bono - Save The Children
In the end of the song a beautiful is a falsetto

Other amazing performences in the file

1986-06-15 - East Rutherford - Bad
One of the best versions ever one of the highlights in Bonos career.

1986-06-15 - East Rutherford - SBS
Do you think that the R&H version is the best one? Think again, Bono blows away all other version in vocal performences with this one.

1993-08-28 - Dublin - Bad
An amazing version, I like the sound he got when he sings "faaade faaaaaade" in the seond part of the song.

1992-02-29 - Lakeland - EBTTRT
The best version of the song, Bono sings it like he does in the stuido version and also in the middle of the song he goes wild, we can call it a "lovetown version" of the song :)

1997 Mexico - New Years Day
One of the best versions of the song, this version is the unedited version and also you can hear his voice more then on the video version wich bring out how good his sings the "say its true"... line.

Vertigo tour - Amazing Grace
Bono sings a snippet

1984-11-21 - Dortmund - The Eletric Co
Bono pulls of an amazing note on the Amazing Grace snippet.

2005-10-29 - Dallas - Angel Of Harlem
Havent listen to this one yet, have no speakers for the moment in the computer Im standin with, but I think this is the version he pulls of a C.

Hey beachball! :) Wanna help me with these notes.

Back
Top Bottom