Intressting reading - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Intressting reading

Quote:
"On a side note, I have to disagree with the person above who
described Bono of U2 as a baritone. No way! He's definitely a tenor, and a high one at that. On 'Pride in the Name of Love,' that's a high B he's hitting. In fact, the whole chorus takes place between the E above middle C and the high B Only a tenor could sing consistently in that range. Then, on 'Bad,' Bono actually hits a high C# when he sings the words 'wide awake.' It's strained and gravelly, but boy is it high.
On the other hand, those songs are from the mid-1980s. Bono doesn't sing in that range as much anymore."
Well I knew that the chours in Pride is high, but that high
I saw the UF documentary recently and when you look at Bono in the studio singing the chours his realy push his voice to the maximum. He lost his voice in the stduio that day.

Quote:
On the other hand, those songs are from the mid-1980s. Bono
doesn't sing in that range as much anymore."
Guess he havent listen shows on Vertigo tour

Old 08-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting. I saw Bono described as both a tenor and a baritone before...

Old 08-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 06:38 AM
I think Bono was a tenor in the eighties, but I'm not sure he's been one really from the early ninties onwards. I'm no expect on the technicalities of singing but I think its clear that the huge range he had to sing songs like Pride and Bad has been lost over time, its become more restricted. In The Joshua Tree documentary Lanois says to Bono he's a tenor when listening to ISHFWILF, but I don't think Bono could sing the song like that anymore. But as I said I'm no expert.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 05:38 AM
he's a tenor, still.

wikiwiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor
Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
War Child

Freddie Mercury's voice changed quite a bit over the years. In the 70's he had a very high, almost feminine voice, but in the eighties it became far more gravelly and gutsy. This was partly due to him being a pretty heavy smoker, he always said he liked the sound of his voice through smoking. The result was that he lost range but gained more power, he was able to really belt stuff out more. Freddie was a great singer all through his life even when he was dying, and its strange how (unlike Bono) smoking didn't really seem to damage his voice.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilsShoes
I think Bono was a tenor in the eighties, but I'm not sure he's been one really from the early ninties onwards. I'm no expect on the technicalities of singing but I think its clear that the huge range he had to sing songs like Pride and Bad has been lost over time, its become more restricted. In The Joshua Tree documentary Lanois says to Bono he's a tenor when listening to ISHFWILF, but I don't think Bono could sing the song like that anymore. But as I said I'm no expert.
He was definitely a tenor in the 80's. I think he was more an baritone in the 90's. Now in the recent years he is a tenor:

- Miss Sarajevo

- SYCMIOYO

- High C on Bad(Wide Awake) 2005-12-04 - Boston

- Is it a C?????? on WGRYWH 2006-12-09 - Hawaii :
w w w .send space .com/file/4pmm1t
(its in 3:04 in the soundclip)

There are two more things in the clip I can't figure out, how high is the "keep my AAAAAAAAAAARMS down below" (time 1:29) and the falsetto in (time: 1:41).

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilsShoes
Freddie Mercury's voice changed quite a bit over the years. In the 70's he had a very high, almost feminine voice, but in the eighties it became far more gravelly and gutsy. This was partly due to him being a pretty heavy smoker, he always said he liked the sound of his voice through smoking. The result was that he lost range but gained more power, he was able to really belt stuff out more. Freddie was a great singer all through his life even when he was dying, and its strange how (unlike Bono) smoking didn't really seem to damage his voice.
I think its individual how you affect by smoking. But Bono's voice didnt only change because of that. He screamed alot in the 80's, to much drinkin and talks a lot.

Freddie was also a schooled singer and knew how to not worn out his voice . Bono isnt schooled.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:36 AM   #7
45:33

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Explains why Bono can't listen to/ U2 won't play some songs from that era I guess
Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 AM   #8
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Explains why Bono can't listen to/ U2 won't play some songs from that era I guess
You mean the 80's songs?
Old 08-25-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
45:33

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Yeah. Red Hill Mining Town, alot of the October stuff.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Yeah. Red Hill Mining Town, alot of the October stuff.
Well didnt even sang RHMT live in the 80's either. He never hold the Pride chours in the 80's but he did on Vertigo tour. He had problems singing Wide Awake on Bad in the 80's. On couple of versions from Vertigo tour he sang it three times! in the song.

Bono sang Tomorrow 96 and did it well. Well Bonos voice is a lot better now then 96

The problem with some of the 80's songs is that there is a lof of screaming... Singing GPII, Unchained Melody, Spanish Eyes... isnt the best to do often on a tour.

Sure his was more capable to scream higher with his voice. But these day he is a better singer. Almost every tour had problems with his voice. There is no Vertigo show where his voice is completley off. He has learned how to use his voice better. Just take his falsetto on 5th leg of Vertigo. When he sang Highway to hell and the "Child" in MW he showed that he is very near ZooTV.
Well he could start to use more often but that would probably worn out his voice. He has also learn how to hold the notes for longer times. wich also Vertigo tour was a proof of(l'amoure 11 sec, sing 8 sec, touch 5 sec...).
Old 08-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #11
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:38 AM

Peterrr, sorry to be a pain, but - only if it's not too much trouble - would you mind posting a link to this? Thank-you so much if you can!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I recently read in the Propaganda book that U2 didn't play Red Hill Mining Town a lot in the 80s because it was too difficult to sing for Bono.

Also, Bono said that most of the 80s he was simply "shouting" at the audience instead of singing, that he only became more conscious of his voice and of himself as a singer in the late 80s.

I agree with most of what Peter is saying, especially about his Vertigo voice. Bono may have lost much in vocal range, but he has gained a lot in terms of technique, and in recent years, especially during the last Vertigo tour leg, his voice has re-gained a lot of power. Sometimes when I listen to some of these shows, it really blows me away.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #13
War Child

yeah i have to agree with baritone in the 90's, he could just simply talk a song, and it would sound amazing. He had a nice sounding voice, deep and warm, but he lost range.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungGirl219

Peterrr, sorry to be a pain, but - only if it's not too much trouble - would you mind posting a link to this? Thank-you so much if you can!
You have it in this clip:

On Boston 2005-12-04 he clearly unmistakably nails the high C. Also the 2005-09-14 - Toronto version of Bad is in the clip, it sounds to me like most of the time he's hitting B's in the Toronto version but I think he reaches the C. He definitely hits the high C on several performances of Bad quite cleanly and then holds the Bb right under it for a looong time

Also on the 3rd leg of Vertigo I think he also yells out the high C on the one performance of angel of harlem.

And I also think that he hit the high C in WGRYWH on a Dublin show on Vertigo tour.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn
I recently read in the Propaganda book that U2 didn't play Red Hill Mining Town a lot in the 80s because it was too difficult to sing for Bono.
To be more accurate, they didn't play it once.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

To be more accurate, they didn't play it once.
Really? Okay, then they maybe tried to play it but noticed it didn't work out, something like that.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm sure they try every song before and then decide which songs to go with, like you can see with the Acrobat recording.

That might very well be the reason that Bono couldn't sing it very well, considering that the high notes are similar to Unforgettable Fire (correct me if I'm wrong), and he had problems hitting these during Joshua Tree.

Maybe they planned to skip it anyways as it didn't turn out as what they intended it to be. I've heard several times that they thought of Red Hill Mining Town as being the song of the miners, but when the album came out no one wanted to be reminded of the strike anymore.

So they maybe went with the occasional Springhil Mining Disaster instead.
But that's just a guess.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Peterrrrr

There are two more things in the clip I can't figure out, how high is the "keep my AAAAAAAAAAARMS down below" (time 1:29) and the falsetto in (time: 1:41).
Anyone who wants to help me?

Old 08-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Peter, thanks for uploading your compilation of Bono voice moments.

What's that very first part of your audio clip, where is that from?
Old 08-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn
Peter, thanks for uploading your compilation of Bono voice moments.

What's that very first part of your audio clip, where is that from?
2005-11-01 - La