Intressting reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peterrr, I am enjoying your compilation. Most of these versions I had never heard before :drool:

However, New Years Day was not the Mexico City version but 06-06-1986 Los Angeles. Would love to hear the unedited version from Mexico if you have it.

You just wanted the notes from the first two songs?

Dublin WTSHNN the long falsetto note is an F5 then a shorter even higher note F#5.

And Mysterious Ways from Amsterdam (can't stop listening to it.... I have a weakness for that song) that's a scream so I don't know if it counts as a falsetto. But I'd say it's a G5!

We can all scream higher than we think, like if you're going for a ride in a rollercoaster, but I think he has control of the note or it would sound false with the other instruments playing.

I think he could still sing all these notes live as well as in the studio. It's all about confidence.

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

Could you explain more what it means to be first tenor :)

Sometimes when you sing in a choir, the score is not only written in 4 part harmonies like bass, tenor, alto, soprano. The composer or arranger can chose to write out two parts in some of the groups.

If you have a first tenor and a second tenor part in the score, the tenors, who can sing the highest notes will be first tenors. The highest sopranos are first sopranos and so on. I'm a second alto, myself :)

beachball said:

However, New Years Day was not the Mexico City version but 06-06-1986 Los Angeles. Would love to hear the unedited version from Mexico if you have it.

I upload it as soon as I come home, in about 2 hours :)

beachball said:
Dublin WTSHNN the long falsetto note is an F5 then a shorter even higher note F#5.
[/B]

Is an F#5 higher then a E5?

Have you heard my mix on strong voice performences from Vertigo tour? : w w w.send space .com/file/qwi9ws
Listen to the falsetto in time 1:41 in the mix :)
It's a E5 :)
Is a E5 higher then a F#5? Would be nice to know how high the highest falsetto is that he has ever sing.

Also he does an amazing thing in time 1:50 in this song:
w w w .send space.com/file/khxiuu
First he screams and then he manage to shift in to full open voice
I don't know wich key he hit in that note?

beachball said:

Sometimes when you sing in a choir, the score is not only written in 4 part harmonies like bass, tenor, alto, soprano. The composer or arranger can chose to write out two parts in some of the groups.

If you have a first tenor and a second tenor part in the score, the tenors, who can sing the highest notes will be first tenors. The highest sopranos are first sopranos and so on. I'm a second alto, myself :)

Thanks for the info!

That would be great, thanks! I think I will download these and have a listen to them tomorrow, when I have more time.

And yes F#5 is higher than E5. G5 is the highest note we have talked about. It goes like this from the lowest to the highest:

C
C# or Db (depending on what key the song is written in)
D
D# or Eb
E
F or E#
F# or Gb
G
G# og Ab
A
A# og Bb
B
C again, and we have an octave...

beachball said:
That would be great, thanks! I think I will download these and have a listen to them tomorrow, when I have more time.

And yes F#5 is higher than E5. G5 is the highest note we have talked about. It goes like this from the lowest to the highest:

So in that case the Dublin one has the highets falsetto :)

beachball said:
Peterrr, I am enjoying your compilation. Most of these versions I had never heard before :drool:

You just wanted the notes from the first two songs?

And Mysterious Ways from Amsterdam (can't stop listening to it.... I have a weakness for that song) that's a scream so I don't know if it counts as a falsetto. But I'd say it's a G5!

We can all scream higher than we think, like if you're going for a ride in a rollercoaster, but I think he has control of the note or it would sound false with the other instruments playing.

I think he could still sing all these notes live as well as in the studio. It's all about confidence.

Heres Mexico w w w. send space .com/file/y4yah8

Peterrrrr said:

1986-06-15 - East Rutherford - SBS
Do you think that the R&H version is the best one? Think again, Bono blows away all other version in vocal performences with this one.

1993-08-28 - Dublin - Bad
An amazing version, I like the sound he got when he sings "faaade faaaaaade" in the seond part of the song.

SBS from East Rutherford really IS amazing! I wouldn't be able to say which one is the best, but it's close to the Rattle and Hum version, not just the vocal, it's the whole band, the intensity. But great, great vocal performance.

And Bad from Dublin. I like the way Bono builds up the song... he sings the first wide awake part in falsetto and later full voice. It strikes me how beautiful it sounds in falsetto, I can't remember having heard it before, but then again, I don't have many bootlegs.

I downloaded New Years Day from Mexico. I can't hear how it's better than the video, though. I would have to hear the version from the video tape right before. But I can't wait to get the DVD. I remember some great visual moments in that song.

About the vocal in Bad from the other file you sent, where Bono screams and then changes to full open voice, that's awesome. I don't know if it's hard to do, though... He hits the notes Bb and Ab

Thank you again, Peterrr, for those files :)

Last edited:
beachball said:

SBS from East Rutherford really IS amazing! I wouldn't be able to say which one is the best, but it's close to the Rattle and Hum version, not just the vocal, it's the whole band, the intensity. But great, great vocal performance.

Sure the band plays the song faster on the R&H version. But on the East Rutherford version he pushes his voices more and holds the notes longer. Thats defintely the best SBS in vocal performences. :)

I come with more files soon :)

there is a higher falsetto than dublin somewhere, just lemme find it! :p

U2opra said:

How's it going with it? :)

BEACHBALL: Did you listen to the "don't you look back" note on WGRYWH from the Vertigo voice highlight clip? Is it a High C just as in the studio version?

Peterrrrr said:

BEACHBALL: Did you listen to the "don't you look back" note on WGRYWH from the Vertigo voice highlight clip? Is it a High C just as in the studio version?

Yes, it's a high C, but it sounds strained...

U2opra said:

Found it yet?

Another thing that I still don't undertstand is how much his voice changed between:

84-87: Much darker and matured voice(sure the smoking made his voice darker, but that quick?)

89-91: In two years his voice changed alot: Sure on a AB and ZooTV he started to sing more calm but the sound on his overall voice had changed alot.

93-97: Big change

Would be intressting to know how many times Bono has hit the HIGH C on "Wide Awake" in Bad.

Here is the ones I know

Studio version

2005-09-14 - Toronto

2005-12-04 - Boston

Im not sure about the 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford version:
w w w .send space .com/file/pft9vd

AchtungGirl219 said:
Oooh, would anybody mind sending me the Toronto (2005) and Boston (2004) Bads? I would love to hear them! :) Thank-you so much in advance!

achtunggirl219@gmail.com

Im not at home for the moment, but I got this "Bono voice moments from Vertigo tour", the Wide Awakes from these to are in the clip :)
w w w .send space .com/file/3r2byf

The first Bad in the clip is from Boston and the second from Toronto.

Thanks for the clip Peterrr. Wow, that Bad from Boston sounds great.
I would never have guessed that was Bono in the first segment, is that Rock and roll ****** snippet ?

Last edited:
Thank-you Peterrr :) I already had your Bono Voice Moments - It's awesome! Thanks so much for creating it. I didn't realise that these were the dates of the clips of Bad from this compilation of voice moments. :)

AchtungGirl219 said:
Thank-you Peterrr :) I already had your Bono Voice Moments - It's awesome! Thanks so much for creating it. I didn't realise that these were the dates of the clips of Bad from this compilation of voice moments. :)

Your welcome!

Still it would be nice with some replys from this:
Peterrrrr said:
Would be intressting to know how many times Bono has hit the HIGH C on "Wide Awake" in Bad.

Here is the ones I know

Studio version

2005-09-14 - Toronto

2005-12-04 - Boston

Im not sure about the 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford version:
w w w .send space .com/file/pft9vd
[/B]

Back
Top Bottom