Interesting YouTube Version of "Mysterious Ways"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
This young lady plays this wildly fantastic version of "Mysterious Ways" on her piano, while singing. But it's not just a piano version of the song - she does a wonderful job of making the song her own. If this were "American Idol", she'd be voted off for being too talented. She keeps the elements that makes the original so great, but she adds her unique twists to it. I really enjoyed this version (the only shortcoming is that she calls the song "old" - since when are songs from the 90's "old"?).

If you are up for an interesting take on this "old" U2 song, go here.

Her vocals aren't the best and I hate the way she stares into the camera, but overall, I liked the performance. Her unique vocals - if they were stronger - could have really made this version of the song stand out. She does add a different spin on the song, which I like. Whenever I hear a remake, I want that different spin. Doing an exact remake, with just a slightly updated sound to make it more contemporary, is boring. But really adding a twist to it, is better. I might not like the twist (ala Mary J. Blige's version of "One"), but at least I appreciate the attempt.

That was... interesting.

Man, I totally forgot about Map of Your Head. That song is so awesome. I haven't heard it in years.

I was actually kinda surprised by how much I liked her version... now I'm watching a bunch of other amateur U2 covers :wink:

EDIT: ...and I just stumbled upon a cover of WOWY by Utada Hikaru (bigtime J-pop star).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UioHcusRUkc

It's pretty good, IMO. She got the crooning part down, but her voice just pales in comparison to Bono's during the climax. Still, it's worth a listen!

Last edited:
Catman said:
I was actually kinda surprised by how much I liked her version... now I'm watching a bunch of other amateur U2 covers :wink:

EDIT: ...and I just stumbled upon a cover of WOWY by Utada Hikaru (bigtime J-pop star).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UioHcusRUkc

It's pretty good, IMO. She got the crooning part down, but her voice just pales in comparison to Bono's during the climax. Still, it's worth a listen!

She may be cute, but that version was not to my liking. I loved the piano start, but when she tried to emulate Bono's original, she proved very weak. Her vibrato is so strong that it comes across like a bleating goat. And she lacks the power and passion of Bono had for this song, back in '87-'90. For me, this cover is just O.K. The new twists weren't enough to cover the weaknesses (and I recognize that English isn't her first language by any means - but the women of Abba didn't know English either, and they sang NEW songs far better).

"..s'right...s'right....allriiight"
but I don't get the problem with calling it "old" the song came out nearly 16 years ago and she looks not much older than the record itself :wink:

Back
Top Bottom