Interesting YouTube Version of "Mysterious Ways" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Interesting YouTube Version of "Mysterious Ways"

This young lady plays this wildly fantastic version of "Mysterious Ways" on her piano, while singing. But it's not just a piano version of the song - she does a wonderful job of making the song her own. If this were "American Idol", she'd be voted off for being too talented. She keeps the elements that makes the original so great, but she adds her unique twists to it. I really enjoyed this version (the only shortcoming is that she calls the song "old" - since when are songs from the 90's "old"?).

If you are up for an interesting take on this "old" U2 song, go
here.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:18 PM
I like the piano, but not her so much. Plus her gloves are lame.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Her vocals aren't the best and I hate the way she stares into the camera, but overall, I liked the performance. Her unique vocals - if they were stronger - could have really made this version of the song stand out. She does add a different spin on the song, which I like. Whenever I hear a remake, I want that different spin. Doing an exact remake, with just a slightly updated sound to make it more contemporary, is boring. But really adding a twist to it, is better. I might not like the twist (ala Mary J. Blige's version of "One"), but at least I appreciate the attempt.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:18 PM
As far as questionably underage girls performing covers on YouTube, I've got to go with the .
Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That was... interesting.

Man, I totally forgot about Map of Your Head. That song is so awesome. I haven't heard it in years.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:57 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:18 PM
I was actually kinda surprised by how much I liked her version... now I'm watching a bunch of other amateur U2 covers

EDIT: ...and I just stumbled upon a cover of WOWY by Utada Hikaru (bigtime J-pop star).

It's pretty good, IMO. She got the crooning part down, but her voice just pales in comparison to Bono's during the climax. Still, it's worth a listen!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Plus she's hot.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Catman
I was actually kinda surprised by how much I liked her version... now I'm watching a bunch of other amateur U2 covers

EDIT: ...and I just stumbled upon a cover of WOWY by Utada Hikaru (bigtime J-pop star).

It's pretty good, IMO. She got the crooning part down, but her voice just pales in comparison to Bono's during the climax. Still, it's worth a listen!
She may be cute, but that version was not to my liking. I loved the piano start, but when she tried to emulate Bono's original, she proved very weak. Her vibrato is so strong that it comes across like a bleating goat. And she lacks the power and passion of Bono had for this song, back in '87-'90. For me, this cover is just O.K. The new twists weren't enough to cover the weaknesses (and I recognize that English isn't her first language by any means - but the women of Abba didn't know English either, and they sang NEW songs far better).
Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:18 PM
I like this one

Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:18 AM
"..s'right...s'right....allriiight"
but I don't get the problem with calling it "old" the song came out nearly 16 years ago and she looks not much older than the record itself