Interesting quote from Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceane

Refugee
I was reading an interview with Bono in Paris Match (French magazine), and he said something I thought was very touching in the end.

This is a translation from a translation, btw.

The interviewer was telling him how people really didn't know much about him despite the fact that he's very famous, and Bono said:

"Only the people who know my music well really know who I am. I say everything in my songs."

I was sort of touched by that, because even if I never felt like I really knew him, like you can know someone you know personnally, I think it's cool for us fans that he's saying that.

This was a pretty short interview, but pretty cool also (about the AIDS gig in S.Africa), with some nice pictures. Bono is on the cover, but I guess many of you guys did not see this because it's a French magazine.

-Oceane

I agree with you. That is sort of touching. But it's simply true. He wears his heart on his sleeve a lot of the time. Just listen to October for an extreme example of that.

Yeah, I never had any doubts he was wearing his heart on his sleeve. It's more that I was expecting him to say something like only his close friends and family really know who he is, or something like that. But he said people who know his music well, which was kind of cool.

-Oceane

This is nothing new. Bono's been making quotes like this for years. Definitely not interesting for me.

If taken literally, he is saying that the atheists who listen to "Grace" or "40" or "Gloria" won't quite get to *know* Bono.

Cheers,

J

, of course he says , he's a songwriter , that's what he is doing for living .
however , it's not an excuse for being a fanatic , he's just a human being after all .

jick said:
If taken literally, he is saying that the atheists who listen to "Grace" or "40" or "Gloria" won't quite get to *know* Bono.

I don't see where you're coming from. If taken literally, his quote hardly says that. It says exactly what it says: you can find out about who he is through his music, and just because some of the songs have Christian themes doesn't mean atheists can't know him as well as those who share his faith.

bono's songwriting is pure and from the heart and thats what makes u2 special

other bands tend to waffle on pretentiously and try and act like smart arses in their lyrics such as audioslave and evanescence

what they sing about is all crap and not really what theyre feeling inside

Axver said:
I don't see where you're coming from. If taken literally, his quote hardly says that. It says exactly what it says: you can find out about who he is through his music, and just because some of the songs have Christian themes doesn't mean atheists can't know him as well as those who share his faith.

Exactly. Atheists can see where he stands religiously (which he's made quite clear both in his music and in interviews). They may not agree with his views, but they at least know where he's coming from (besides, jick, what about the person who started that "Gloria" topic-they said they were not a religious person, but they still enjoyed the song and managed to find a way to relate to it?).

Anywho, as for that quote, oceane, that is pretty cool. I've never met him, yet it seems like I've know him. I like that. :).

Angela

Im not Christian (am Sikh) and relate to the spiritual aspect of all of U2s songs. Its not a question of whether or not u follow the same "faith" as Bono. Its about whether or not u believe in the one God. Sorry to get all holy on u guys, I do drink and watch movies with bad language.

jinn77 said:
Its not a question of whether or not u follow the same "faith" as Bono. Its about whether or not u believe in the one God.

I don't even think it's about that, it's just about whether you can understand where he's coming from and that that's part of who he is.

jick said:
This is nothing new. Bono's been making quotes like this for years. Definitely not interesting for me.

Cheers,

J

Get over yourself, jick. :down: That's a preposterous assumption, and FAR from taking Bono's quote literally.

It's not about getting to be touched by U2's music. Many non-Christians find their own meaning and interpretation to U2's christian flavored songs. This thread isn't about putting your own atheist meaning to U2's songs, it's about getting to *know* Bono. And if you take his quote literally, then you have the *know* Bono's music to *know* him. Atheists can't know U2's Christian music because they don't understand or believe in the Christian concepts - but they put their own meaning to U2's music to make it special to them. But when you interpret your music in your own way, you don't get to *know* the song but you make it yours - and according to Bono you won't be able to *know* him. Don't blame me for starting this, it's all because of Bono's faulty statement.

Cheers,

J

Um, last time I checked you didn't have to have the exact same set of beliefs as someone else in order to "know" or "understand" them. Otherwise all my friends would all have the exact same beliefs, morals and basically thoughts that I do. And I think we can all agree that that's a ridiculous line of reasoning.

**You do not need to do/say/believe/experience the same things as someone else in order to know that person.**

So sure, some people might not agree with where Bono is coming from on certain songs, but that does not mean that they don't know where Bono is coming from. Or are you telling me that atheists are incapable of looking at songs like "40" and "Gloria" and understanding that Bono has a lot of faith in God? :rolleyes:

So yes, I am blaming you for starting this because you're twisting Bono's quote around and drawing logically unsound conclusions.

Last edited:
Diemen said:
Um, last time I checked you didn't have to have the exact same set of beliefs as someone else in order to "know" or "understand" them. Otherwise all my friends would all have the exact same beliefs, morals and basically thoughts that I do. And I think we can all agree that that's a ridiculous line of reasoning.

**You do not need to do/say/believe/experience the same things as someone else in order to know that person.**

So sure, some people might not agree with where Bono is coming from on certain songs, but that does not mean that they don't know where Bono is coming from. Or are you telling me that atheists are incapable of looking at songs like "40" and "Gloria" and understanding that Bono has a lot of faith in God? :rolleyes:

So yes, I am blaming you for starting this because you're twisting Bono's quote around and drawing logically unsound conclusions.

:yes: :up:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom