Interesting quote about The Fly played on the Vertigo tour...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Pretty cool...

The band felt that, while the song was good, they hadn't gotten it exactly right. David Bowie told them, upon hearing it, that it needed to be re-recorded. Bono has also said, "It took us fifteen years to really get it right live," assumingly meaning that the intended product is the version played on the Vertigo Tour.

What?! The studio version of The Fly is flawless. I know David Bowie is the shit and all, but he must have been smoking crack when he told them that.

well.. its a lot more ROCK AND ROLL and U2-ish now...

probably why we all like the original/Zoo Tv version.... for its non-U2ism

the album version sounds dated while the new version sounds perfect i'd say.

Anyone who listens a version like São Paulo I , can't help and agree , that's just flawless

As others have said, I find the Elevation version of The Fly faaaaaaaaaar superior to any other version. I still love the album version, but once hearing it live in 2001 there's nothing that compares.

The mixing on the album version is terrible, and that's why it sounds dated. The arrangement, everything, is perfect, it's just the mixing. If they remastered Achtung Baby, you'd all swing back in line with the original in a heartbeat.

I wish Edge still played like that.

mixing is fine on AB
Bowie - Bowie thought Pink Floyd were done after Syd Barrett left , until David Gilmour convinced him otherwise

xaviMF22 said:

:up:

it doesn't get any better than this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vcPs20r1xRA

:drool: :drool:
Elevation version had the key changed - sounds like The Fly [Pussy-ass Care Bear Mix].
If you like U2 songs sounding like Scissor Sisters covering a U2 song, by all means
cookiemonsterrf2.gif

Canadiens1160 said:
Elevation version had the key changed - sounds like The Fly [Pussy Mix].

If you like U2 songs sounding like Scissor Sisters covering a U2 song, by all means
cookiemonsterrf2.gif

Shut it Muse fan :mad:

Elevation version pwnd :drool:

the album version of THE FLY still sounds outstanding and timeless as does the whole ACHTUNG BABY album...
THE FLY still is a real(!) rocker :rockon:

coolian2 said:
The Vertigo version completely fucking owns any other performance of The Fly ever.

Most correct post on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom