Interesting quote about The Fly played on the Vertigo tour... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:50 AM
You fucking take that back.

The hat is awesome. I want one.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:41 PM   #62
The Fly

Local Time: 03:50 PM
That Brazil performance has bad vocals even when compared to other versions on the Vertigo Tour. Check out the version of The Fly from the London 2005 radio broadcast. Amazing sound and much better vocals from Bono.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:21 AM   #63
45:33

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Why do U2 always seem to agree when someone says their 90s stuff isn't that great?

And why has this thread turned Anti-Vertigo Fly? I thought everyone loved it...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 PM
next we'll hear he sings better when he has long hair

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

It's got SO much to do with the "health" of Bono. Look at how he is in the Boston show----trim, fit, youthful, performing. Then look at the Brazil show Bono---at this point in the Vertigo Tour, he was looking old, shabby, filled-out. He sings The Fly in some of the Vertigo versions like he's catching his breath on every line. It's a shame, because the instrumental end of the song kicks ass. The silly hat doesn't help, either.

Before I get bashed for a "fat Bono" comment, let me say that he has looked better at times since that show, that he's not even necessarily "fat" in the Brazil show, etc. etc. However, I will wholeheartedly say that Bono performs less well when he's less in shape. It's noticeable in The Fly, it's clearly evident in WOWY, and it's there in other songs as well.
Really ? He looked - and probably was - more fit on Popmart than Elevation or Vertigo and those were arguably the worst vocals of his career. "I'm on helium" Bono
In comparison it was noticeable how much better his voice was on Bomb and especially the last tour, and he didn't look as fit as Popmart.

Yes he sounded better on Zoo TV but that was 15 years ago. Duh.

Incidentally, Zoo TV was, by his own statement, his "fat Elvis" era (up until that point in their career), and most people would agree those were some of the best vocals.

I like all versions of The Fly, my favourite is probably Vertigo. Interesting quote indeed.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:48 AM   #65

I thought Vertigo's vocals were fantastic, and that he was horrible on elevation, and I just find this weird cos it wasn't long ago people were saying how they loved Vertigos vocals and the version of The Fly.

And phillyfan you didn't do the bass. I thought Vertigos bass kicked ass.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:06 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Vertigo vocals were brilliant, except for those few South American shows, it was obvious that Bono was sick or something. I cannot even listen to these shows because his vocals sound so bad, I feel sorry for him. Apart from that, I think Vertigo tour was brilliant when it comes to Bono's vocals. And no, I don't think it has anything to do with the way he looks like, what a stupid argument. Health, yes, looks, certainly not.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:38 AM   #67
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn
Vertigo vocals were brilliant, except for those few South American shows, it was obvious that Bono was sick or something. I cannot even listen to these shows because his vocals sound so bad, I feel sorry for him. Apart from that, I think Vertigo tour was brilliant when it comes to Bono's vocals. And no, I don't think it has anything to do with the way he looks like, what a stupid argument. Health, yes, looks, certainly not.
Well his voice on the Vertigo tour is one of his best, on 2nd, 3rd and 5th leg he was amazing. There is no other tour where he:

- Hold high notes in 5-11 seconds

- Hit HIGH key in "Don't you look back" in WGRYWH

- Sings the long Pride chours

- He also hold the high Wide Awake in Bad very long, the longest ever I think.

Also the falsetto is back, WITS, highway to hell snippet on Vertigo(2006-11-18) and "Child" on MW(5th leg).

Another example is the live performence of Don't give up on Oprah when he sing the line "Keep my EYES down below", well the power he had when he sang the EYES word was incredible. Imagien him using that force when he sing ISHFWILF: I have CLIMB highest mountain. Uf/JT/LT/Popmart/Elevation tour he had some nights with real voice problems, there isnt one night on Vertigo tour when he was totaly off. And one other thing is that he got better and better in his voice the later you came in the tour(apart from 4th leg).

If he talk less, stop smoking, less drinking and lost weight his voice can improve much more. Can't imagine how he would sound then :
Old 06-26-2007, 05:12 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

I think the infamous S. American shows on the last tour were simply Bono being tired during a long tour. (I'll take his worst Vertigo nights over Popmart or Elevation nights any time though)

When he's rested though (last leg on Vertigo, Japan shows in particular), he can still sing well.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally posted by Peterrrrr

Well his voice on the Vertigo tour is one of his best, on 2nd, 3rd and 5th leg he was amazing. There is no other tour where he:

- Hold high notes in 5-11 seconds

- Hit HIGH key in "Don't you look back" in WGRYWH

- Sings the long Pride chours

- He also hold the high Wide Awake in Bad very long, the longest ever I think.

Also the falsetto is back, WITS, highway to hell snippet on Vertigo(2006-11-18) and "Child" on MW(5th leg).

Another example is the live performence of Don't give up on Oprah when he sing the line "Keep my EYES down below", well the power he had when he sang the EYES word was incredible. Imagien him using that force when he sing ISHFWILF: I have CLIMB highest mountain. Uf/JT/LT/Popmart/Elevation tour he had some nights with real voice problems, there isnt one night on Vertigo tour when he was totaly off. And one other thing is that he got better and better in his voice the later you came in the tour(apart from 4th leg).

If he talk less, stop smoking, less drinking and lost weight his voice can improve much more. Can't imagine how he would sound then :
I was waiting for you to come and save us
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

I have seen a couple of people noting comparisons I didn't do.

If things didn't change (solo, bass), I didn't compare them. The only difference in the bass was in the intro, and I compared the intros.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #71
New Yorker

That Sao Paulo Brazil version is one mean-sounding motherf**ker!!!!!!

WOW....
Old 06-26-2007, 04:02 PM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 09:50 PM
The Elevation version is very special indeed, i love the guitar work there.

But the Vertigo version is more close to the original only better. Bono's sounds badass here and it fits the song perfectly!

But i agree on the brazil show he had a very weak voice, i've heard better Fly's but still it's a great version!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

brazil version sucks

Elevation any day bitches
Old 06-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

It's got SO much to do with the "health" of Bono. Look at how he is in the Boston show----trim, fit, youthful, performing. Then look at the Brazil show Bono---at this point in the Vertigo Tour, he was looking old, shabby, filled-out. He sings The Fly in some of the Vertigo versions like he's catching his breath on every line. It's a shame, because the instrumental end of the song kicks ass. The silly hat doesn't help, either.

Before I get bashed for a "fat Bono" comment, let me say that he has looked better at times since that show, that he's not even necessarily "fat" in the Brazil show, etc. etc. However, I will wholeheartedly say that Bono performs less well when he's less in shape. It's noticeable in The Fly, it's clearly evident in WOWY, and it's there in other songs as well.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Uh, it's exactly the same, so I didn't think it noteworthy to compare them.
It's an electric acoustic, listen to the tone and sustain.
The notes die out, it's a more hollow sound, if you don't think that's a huge difference for a guitar solo, especially in comparison to the ZooTv version, then you should check again. I'll check again myself. Maybe I am smoking something.

The main riff does sound great though, something about how that delay reverberates inside and then out of that guitar, really gives it a rich sound, which is probably why Edge used it.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #76
The Fly

Local Time: 08:50 PM
For me, one of the defining changes was the change Adam made to this song. In ZooTV and Elevation, the bass was muddy and buried beneath the guitar horribly, especially on Elevation as a whole and noticeably during the ZooTV choruses. ON Vertigo, the bass has a distinctive and cutting tone that gives the song new "ground control" and more musical and tonal variety. I keep stressing how Adam's new tone for the V-Tour improved their live sound vastly. The return to the original Key also helped I think. Incidentally, does anyone know the key-change they made for Elevation?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan

It's an electric acoustic, listen to the tone and sustain.
The notes die out, it's a more hollow sound, if you don't think that's a huge difference for a guitar solo, especially in comparison to the ZooTv version, then you should check again. I'll check again myself. Maybe I am smoking something.

The main riff does sound great though, something about how that delay reverberates inside and then out of that guitar, really gives it a rich sound, which is probably why Edge used it.
You're missing what I am saying. I covered guitar tone in one general subject. I only focused on the other things in which he actually played something different. He doesn't play a different solo, just plays a different guitar with a few edited effects. And that's what I covered in guitar tone.

It doesn't matter to me, really, as long as it's not that awful Elevation tone.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 AM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 04:50 PM
the fly from 2001 was a good remix , killer end with that fly on the screen ....... heavy guitars...
.....gottago...gottago.....gottago......

Old 07-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #79
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Hornbag
does anyone know the key-change they made for Elevation?
they went up a 4th

The equivalent modulation of going from E to A - quite a modulation
Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #80
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Huh, I never even noticed the key change. Usually I'm the first to start singing along and then yell "It's in the wrong key!!!" like I should be given an award for being so musically wise.