Interesting new Bono quotes about the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
"It's an incredible thing to finish it, it's like getting out of jail,"

"It's very important for us that it will be a great piece of work, not just good or even very good. You can't live like we live, have all this success and make a crap album. I can't live with that."

The first song on the album is a rock song but the remainder of the tracks "go somewhere very different," Bono said.

"I think we might have touched a bit of magic. The Edge is on fire in a way that I haven't heard him in many years. He's an extraordinary guitar player, a great genius of a musician, and I think he deserves all the accolade on this one."

And, probably the most interesting one:

"It has taken 20-odd years to make this album," Bono said. "It's a very personal record, and the album title, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, really refers to my father. I should have called it How to Dismantle the Atomic Bob.

More on atu2.com. Bono was interviewed while receiving the Chilean medal of honour.

djerdap said:
"It's an incredible thing to finish it, it's like getting out of jail,"

Sounds like it a was a tortuous recording experience...lets hope the frustration spilled over into some determined playing..;) also, he once again asserts in an Edge-driven record, which I'm pleased about. :)

Hey, kinda off topic, but Sleep Over Jack, Guided By Voices rocks! Shame they broke up, though. :(

Yeah. they were immense...the main fellow in the band (Rober Pollard ) is continuing his solo career though, and since he wrote all the gbv songs, its like they're not really going away.;)

I reckon the statement about -
"It's very important for us that it will be a great piece of work, not just good or even very good. You can't live like we live, have all this success and make a crap album. I can't live with that."

The first song on the album is a rock song but the remainder of the tracks "go somewhere very different," Bono said.

I like the sound of that, obviously Vertigo is the rock song he is talking about and the remainder goes somewhere very different, I don't just like the sound of that I fuc#ing love the sound of that.....we could have a real corker of an album on our hands that has a lot of experimentation about it. I thought that Achtung Baby was Edge's album not just for the guitar work but also the lyrics were obviously inspired by what was happening in Edge's personal life. This could be the best since Achtung Baby! Here's hoping!

Jack, I didn't really like Fiction Man. I thought it sounded like an album of songs that weren't good enough for GBV. I hope they are not all like that.

But, oh yeah! About the quotes! Keep in mind, sometimes, these aren't what Bono really thinks, they are just what sound cool, repeated over and over again!!! How To Dismantle The Atomic Bob would have been a good album name, I hope there are some nice songs about Bono's dad.

Really all about his *father*? How to dismantle the atomic *bob*?!

I am so fucking psyched to hear all this, because 'personal' and intimate means like AB!!! Hooray horray...how fantastic!

I've always thought of AB as all about sex and very female-focused...so maybe this will be the one about masculine love energies and how hard it can be to draw those out and de-fuse the little bombs men can make of their emotional lives..
*that* would be such fun!

cheers all!

another interesting point in that article is that BONO does state that the album has no overtly politcal message. Interesting, im indifferent because Id love it one way or the other, but I have been saying all along this will not be a Politcal record, despite the album title.

Back
Top Bottom